Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 09-04-2007, 09:17 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Angry Desperate For Help! Cortisone Nightmare

I have been on cortisone since July 28 and found out today my cortisol stim test was still low. I am to meet with Doc tomorrow. I have steadily gotten to the point of such severe depression, sadness, crying spells, I cannot stand it for another day. I actually cut my dose from 20 mg day to 15 over the weekend till they said NO go back to 20. This is from assumed adrenal suppression from epidural shots I had in June and early July. Then I just happened to be getting cortisol checked. I have been screaming and yelling like a maniac I don't know what to do. I think I accidentally took 5 mg the afternoon before the test but none the morning of (when I take 15) could that have thrown it off so much!???(Wasnt supposed to take it then) I feel like I need to be hospitalized if I am to continue like this. My family is not helping my son is antaganizing me as usual he just doesn't care. HELP! My husband keeps tapping the table with his hands I swear I could just scream from the sound of it. everyone is walking on eggshells and asking what is wrong though I keep explaining they don't seem to understand the English Language.

Last edited by lailavia; 09-04-2007 at 10:50 PM.
lailavia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-04-2007, 10:49 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Mike

I just saw your other post and yes this one did come up, know not sure if the one I answered to you did! I hope I am better soon. I am not usually this crazy. gotta go get some zzzs so I can make it to the doc in time....
Old 09-05-2007, 02:14 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Saw doc today

she said still making no cortisol. Lowered my dose but said it would be very bad if I got sick and please keep taking it. Repeat stim test in 3 weeks. I asked if there was any chance this could NOT be totally related to the shots and she did agree to run some tests...on pituitary gland, bloodwork first, then maybe a scan....and some other hormonal bloodwork...and an adrenal mri. I know this probly belongs somewhere else, but was related I hope to my epidural shots cause I could not stand being on this drug for much longer. I don't feel so bad when I am alone and no one is around me!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:46 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Desperate For Help! Cortisone Nightmare

Dear Friend :-)

I am glad that your Doctor is going to be running more tests.

I realized in the past couple of days dealing with severe pain associated with a STEM trial - I should stop, smell the roses, take a deep breath and take some of my own advice.

I started writing in a daily journal for a creative writing class I am taking this year and the thing got me thinking again about some of the advice I have followed in the past.

First off, our bodies need time - to get used to anything new....like you I am getting used to this machine.....like you I have to focus on healing.

Keep yourself well hydrated while your body gets used to this medicine. If you find yourself getting short with people (I have been a bear - always am when in severe pain) I decided to take time for myself. That literally means not going to class tonight, sending my kids off to their friends and my husband taking care of talking to the Professor. Taking a literal "day off" has worked wonders. I have been able to catch up on my homework, write about my experience with the STEM, read, and above all - make myself a couple of cups of my favorite tea and pick up a good book.

You sound like you are stressing "out". Do you have a pill dispenser? These are good for me because when I have a quiet moment I can sit down and put the pills in their daily slot - no mistakes on dose, and all of them in one slot...

If your son is antagonizing you - try not to let it bother you....only you can choose how you react to a situation. Take the deep breath exercise - I know I do with a 15 year old in the house. He is in a bad mood all the time. There are times when I am in one part of the house drawing or on the computer and he is in another....distance makes the heart grow fonder. Sometimes I actually get a smile....but we get along.

Try to do things you enjoy, l enjoy drawing, reading or even writing.....I love spending time in the sauna and sitting in my garden. How about starting a journal to document how you are feeling....if you cannot talk to your son - writing a letter to him in your journal can get the "stuff" out of your system.

I hope that life gets less stressful for you....

I will think about you when saying my prayers

All the best
Kim
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:05 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

i hate that stuff. Makes me crazy, fighting mad.
simby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote