15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart A personal stake in finding a cure

A personal stake in finding a cure

By Peggy Kreimer
Post staff reporter
The Cincinnatti Post

A week after riding in a bicycle fund-raiser for multiple sclerosis, Dale Ankenman noticed he was dragging his foot, and his right hand wasn't working at all.

It was the first sign of a neurological disorder that has changed his life.

Ankenman is still riding in fund-raisers, but now the cause is personal. It's called Parkinson's disease.

The disease destroys or impairs nerve cells that produce dopamine, a chemical needed for muscle movement and control.

There's no cure, but there is treatment. Ankenman, of Florence is riding a tandem bike with his wife, Barbara, in the fourth annual Sunflower Revolution Ride on Sunday to raise money for research into new and better treatments and a cure.

The ride is part of a weekend of education, celebration and fund raising sponsored by the Neuroscience Institute at the University of Cincinnati and University Hospital and the Davis Phinney Foundation, founded by bicyclist Davis Phinney to support Parkinson's research.

NOTE: Also on this page is information about the Sunflower Revolution, which has an annual Gala and Symposium...info about all is on this linked page below

Read full article and info on the Sunflower Revolution
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thank You, Carolyn

So many times, I have read your "research posts" and have thought I would like to thank you for the research...your effort and time...to keep all of us updated...and so...this is a "thank you" for what you do on behalf of us, here. I'm sure others have thanked you, but I felt that I wanted/needed to thank you personally. In you we have our own personal "guru"!!!

Therese
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:01 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Theresa

I have about 60 RSS feeds in my Google Reader I go through at least once a day, sometimes more, depending on how much in in there...usually over 100 news items...fills up very fast. I also have Yahoo and Google Alerts to read. It is at lot of work, but if it helps just one person in the Forum, that is satisfaction for me.

I did start the news Blog, but it was not used much so I abandoned it after I returned from my surgery and hospitalization in July.
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote