Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 09-16-2007, 04:12 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Znyone Use aA Mobility Scooter??

I need to buy one for myself and need one that can be taken apart to put in trunk. Can't figure which one to buy. I wish there were stores to walk into and see them so I could decide. Need help with what to do. Medicare will not pay for one even though I am 65 due to not needing it except for walking any distance or shopping. Thanks, Gaye
froglady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-17-2007, 04:25 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Here are my tips for scooters (and I have one):

Have your doctor go over medical need once again with you concerning the scooter; if it is needed and can be used indoors, your doctor can process forms to seek the authorization (at least as far as insurance goes; I'm not familiar with Medicare but if it pays for scooters, then, it must have criteria that needs to be met, so I'd review it).

For a scooter, it's only as good as the manufacturer's ability to perform on its warranty. Make sure that there is local service in your area, and it's under warranty... for parts and battery.

Rather than inflated tires, mine are solid rubber. Less chance of breakdown.

If the scooter cannot be broken down and fit into a vehicle - before purchasing - have your doc also Rx a lift. If the scooter cannot be transported, then, that will still impose limits. (Though you may be buying the device - scooter - yourself, you might still be able to cite it re: medical related to taxes.)

Also, when a company brings a "tester," don't accept it on-the-spot or on the promise that the company will process the paperwork and you'll be getting the scooter. Have it approved prior to accepting the scooter as a keeper; and, ask the company to deliver a new scooter following approval. It's tempting to accept that new ride after trying it, only doing so could end up hurting you without prior authorization, which is what I'd seek.

Read plenty of consumer reviews before purchase (Google is good for searching). See what users have to say about the specific brand and model.

Make sure the scooter has anti-tilt and other features that will make things more do-able. (For instance, mine has a swivel seat and flip-back arm rests.)

Another thing: If review the approval criteria Medicare stipulates, and ask your doc to do the same - for writing a Rx.

Prior to receiving mine, the pivotal question my insurance was asking was whether the scooter could be used indoors. If only able to use outdoors, insurance would not have approved it. My doc had to address my insurance company's questions before the decision process could even commence; she was phoned while scooter reps. were at my house. Thankfully, she was able to accept the call - which we didn't know in advance would take place.

Before accepting delivery (do an appeal or re-do with Medicare after speaking with your doctor), also make sure to have the percentage of cost coverage in writing from Medicare. I went through a headache with mine, after verbal approval. Thank goodness, the scooter manufacturer and insurance company had recorded their own conversations; it saved me a bundle.

Whether a wheelchair or scooter, what insurance (or Medicare) will look at is need vs. want. Make sure that your doc is specific about why the Rx is written and describes your condition in submitting the forms for authorization of coverage, and is available to speak directly to the chair or scooter reps. It will move things along much more quickly.

DME (durable medical equipment) is oftentimes determined on case-by-case basis. Sooo, get your doc to plead your "case," and be specific.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:28 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you so much Bobbie. I appreciate your info. Gaye
froglady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote