Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 08:05 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Compulsive Behaviour

Hello Everyone

I would like to offer my ear as a sounding board for any unfortunate soul that has developed compulsions courtesy of Dopamine Agonists.
I myself, am a pathological gambler, whose life was almost destroyed by these substitutes, so there's a good chance I might be able to help.
If I can support in any way, I will, and unreservedly.

Peter
LISTERINE51 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have noticed compulsive behaviour since I have been on the agonist Requip. I have found that whatever I apply myself to I seem to want to keep doing it and find it hard to stop. For example I have been doing a lot of decorating in the last few years and when I start to paint I want to keep going even though I know I am tired and should rest. Also shopping is another compulsive behaviour. Its almost like I get a high from doing these things. Like I am driven in some way. I am taking 12 mgs of Requip just recently reduced from 14 mgs by my MDS due to restlessness and anxiety. So far I have not noticed any change, I'd love to feel more relaxed and rested but I think that the Requip is the culprit here. I have a short on time with my meds so I take them every 3 to 3 1/2 hrs. It still feels like a roller coaster ride. If I reduce the requip will I have to deal with uncomfortable dystonia and rigidity. Seems like a vicious circle.
Evon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:31 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

HI EVON
SORRY ABOUT THE CAP LETTERS BUT MY EYES ARE SLIGHTLY BLURRED
ITS 6.40AM HERE AND IVE BEEN UP ALL NIGHT.........SO BEAR WITH ME PLEASE.
COMPUISIONS THAT ARE INSTIGATED BY DOPAMINE AGONISTS, USUALLY INVOLVE MONEY , LOTSA MONEY.
HOARDING
GATHERING
SHOPPING
GAMBLING
EVEN PAINTING YOUR HOUSE MANY TIMES OVER REQUIRES MONEY.

I LIKE TO USE FIRE AS AN ANALOGY WITH THESE COMPULSIVE TRAITS.
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING FIRE?
IGNITION---AIR---FUEL
TAKE AWAY ONE OF THEM..................NO FIRE

IGNITION = medications (agonists)
AIR = pathological desire
FUEL = money

you cannot remove the first two ..................no 1 restricts parkies
.................................................. ............no 2 results from taking 1
but you can take the fuel/money away

destroy all credit cards and the like in your name
if your partner has cards, scratch out 3 number security No's
allow no access to savings or salary account
chose a daily allowance amount and stick to it
if its not there, you can't spend it!!!!!
its tough.......boy is it tough
but it works
while i take my meds, that desire, need, want, compulsion is always there.
And always will be there.
But if your family and friends help you to fight this self destruction.
its liveable............just
take care and be healthy

peter
LISTERINE51 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks Peter ....

For bringing this topic up. I too had problems on an agonist.
Not gambling or as in your case Evon shopping but I was given a diagnosis of bipolar disorder after many hypomanic episodes.
The diagnosis was wrong and definitely it was the agonist.
Once the agonist was stopped (nearly four yrs ago) the hypomania ceased and I became my old boring self again and haven't had a single episode since.
I think I see glimpses of it in many PWP who like Peter, Evon and myself have it manifest itself in a myriad of different ways but still the common thread is that an agonist was part of the drug regime.
I wonder if any studies have been done to show a definite increase in on time with agonists vs without agonists?
I'm still very bitter that a drug that was meant to help the symptoms of P.D. robbed me of my normal self for so many years.
Regards,
Lee
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:46 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Mirapex and O/C/D

I have written about this in the past, but it seems that there is still some interest in the subject of agonists and OBSESSIVE/COMPULSIVE/DISORDER. The first PD medication given to my pwp was Mirapex, i.e., after the initial dosing with Sinemet as a diagnostic tool. Doreen's only symptom at the time was a right-hand tremor (that was 10 years ago) and her response to the Sinemet was excellent in that it completely eliminated the tremor. Not wanting to start her on Sinemet so early on in her dx, her neurologist prescribed Mirapex which not only eliminated the tremor, but also, gave her a generally all-round feeling of well being as she titrated up on the Mirapex...to what I believe was the maximum dosage, i.e., 4.5 mg daily. At this time, it seemed it was not generally known about the obsessive/compulsive side effect of Mirapex...and certainly, we were totally unaware as was her neurologist. What we FINALLY realized was that Doreen had become excessively obsessive/compulsive, but, we had no idea what was causing this. She would literally spend money that she certainly did not have to spend...would purchase items in "multitudes", i.e., FIVE weather stations, all very similar, but she HAD to have all FIVE (this, in a 3 1/2 room apartment!) She would go to electronic stores and purchase electronic gadgets (some, very expensive)...bring them home...unpack them...use them for a few days (she had an "understanding" with all the merchants about how long she could keep an item before she would return it). These items, too, were purchased in multiples...cell phones...headsets...and she became very proficient in opening the packages and resealing them to be returned. This behavior went on for quite a long time...one of the worst times in our lives...because she didn't want me to interfere with any of this...and a normally, very nice, quiet, calm person became "not-so-nice"...actually became someone I really didn't know (a very, very difficult time for me, especially, because Doreen was having the time of her life!!!) It was not until I read somewhere on the internet that one of the side effects of Mirapex was obsessive/compulsive behavior that it "dawned" on me that this was what had happened to Doreen. We brought this to her neurologist's attention and he immediately weaned her off Mirapex...a shame in that she had fared so well while taking this medication...and she has not felt as well nor have her symptoms been relieved as well by any other medication regimen...to the point, where we are planning to discuss with her neurologist at her vist at the end of this month the possibility of adding back into her "med" regimen a lower dose of Mirapex..although, we are not too hopeful that he will agree to this. He is always open to our ideas, but I don't feel confident that he will be open to this. I have chosen to tell my "story" again since this thread has brought attention, again, to the POSSIBILITY of Mirapex (and any agonist, for that matter) of the undesirable side effect of Obsessive/Compulsive behavior that can and has literally destroyed lives. Please note that I have emphasized that word, "possibility". As with all PD medications, some work well for pwp's...some do not so that my particular "story" is told simply as a warning of the POSSIBILITY of this very adverse side effect.

Therese
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Obsessions

Luckily I am aware of the effect of the agonist and I have been trying to keep it under control. Its good to hear about others who are experiencing this type of behaviour. I am going to reduce my Requip slowly and see if I feel any better or worse. Its a trial and error game we play. I must admit that the compulsion to keep at a task has not been a bad thing, I have accomplished a lot, but I would love to get back to a level relaxed state that is easier to live with, and not feel so driven. Good ideas Listerine51 about ways to keep on track with the money. I plan to have a budget and try to stick to it, hopefully that combined with lowering my Requip will put me back in control.
Evon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote