advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 04:36 PM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default You're not gonna like this...

1: J Neurochem. 2003 Feb;84(3):417-31.

Meal size and frequency affect neuronal plasticity and vulnerability to disease:
cellular and molecular mechanisms.

Mattson MP, Duan W, Guo Z.

Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging, Gerontology Research
Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA.

Although all cells in the body require energy to survive and function properly,
excessive calorie intake over long time periods can compromise cell function and
promote disorders such as cardiovascular disease, type-2 diabetes and cancers.
Accordingly, dietary restriction (DR; either caloric restriction or intermittent
fasting, with maintained vitamin and mineral intake) can extend lifespan and can
increase disease resistance. Recent studies have shown that DR can have profound
effects on brain function and vulnerability to injury and disease. DR can protect
neurons against degeneration in animal models of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and
Huntington's diseases and stroke. Moreover, DR can stimulate the production of
new neurons from stem cells (neurogenesis) and can enhance synaptic plasticity,
which may increase the ability of the brain to resist aging and restore function
following injury. Interestingly, increasing the time interval between meals can
have beneficial effects on the brain and overall health of mice that are
independent of cumulative calorie intake. The beneficial effects of DR,
particularly those of intermittent fasting, appear to be the result of a cellular
stress response that stimulates the production of proteins that enhance neuronal
plasticity and resistance to oxidative and metabolic insults; they include
neurotrophic factors such as brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), protein
chaperones such as heat-shock proteins, and mitochondrial uncoupling proteins.
Some beneficial effects of DR can be achieved by administering hormones that
suppress appetite (leptin and ciliary neurotrophic factor) or by supplementing
the diet with 2-deoxy-d-glucose, which may act as a calorie restriction mimetic.
The profound influences of the quantity and timing of food intake on neuronal
function and vulnerability to disease have revealed novel molecular and cellular
mechanisms whereby diet affects the nervous system, and are leading to novel
preventative and therapeutic approaches for neurodegenerative disorders.

PMID: 12558961 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-21-2007, 04:37 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face and here is another point of view...

Studies always go back and forth... and get really confusing:
Quote:
American Academy of Neurology (AAN)

American Academy of Neurology (AAN) Released: Tue 18-Sep-2007, 14:30 ET
Embargo expired: Wed 19-Sep-2007, 16:00 ET
Printer-friendly Version
Does Being Overweight in Old Age Cause Memory Problems?
Libraries
Medical News Keywords
OLD AGE OBESITY, OBESITY, MEMORY LOSS, DEMENTIA, NEUROLOGY, JOURNAL NEUROLOGY, AMERICAN ACADEMY OF NEUROLOGY

Contact Information
Available for logged-in reporters only

Description
While obesity has been shown to contribute to high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes, being overweight in old age does not lead to memory problems, according to a study published September 19, 2007, in the online edition of Neurology, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.

Newswise — While obesity has been shown to contribute to high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes, being overweight in old age does not lead to memory problems, according to a study published September 19, 2007, in the online edition of Neurology®, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.

The six-year study involved 3,885 community dwelling people over age 65 in Chicago, IL. Of the participants, nearly 25 percent were obese with a body mass index (BMI) over 30, and 37 percent were overweight with a BMI between 25 and 29.9. Four cognitive tests were given at the beginning of the study and every three years thereafter over the six-year period.

The study found no significant changes in memory or cognitive function throughout the study for overweight or obese participants. In fact, participants who were underweight had more cognitive decline over time.

“We do not know yet why being overweight or obese does not increase the risk for cognitive decline in old age, however being underweight may be a correlate of the initial stages of Alzheimer’s disease,” said study author Maureen T. Sturman, MD, MPH, Rush University Medical Center and John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County in Chicago. “While past studies have found obesity in middle age increases a person’s risk for dementia or Alzheimer’s disease, our findings show obesity in old age has no effect on a person’s memory. These findings are consistent with previous studies showing that weight loss or low BMI in old age may be a precursor of cognitive decline or Alzheimer’s disease.”

The study was supported by the National Institute on Aging and the National Institute of Environmental Health Science.

The American Academy of Neurology, an association of more than 20,000 neurologists and neuroscience professionals, is dedicated to improving patient care through education and research. A neurologist is a doctor with specialized training in diagnosing, treating and managing disorders of the brain and nervous system such as stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, and multiple sclerosis.

For more information about the American Academy of Neurology, visit http://www.aan.com.
This was posted in our Health News forum recently.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:10 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Rev, MrsD

Don't you think that it's WHAT you put in your body that matters. Now if i keep the red meat protein and fat out of my system, and eat lots of veggies, rice , beans, whole grains and moderate red wine (cleans the arteries right out, not so good for the liver in excess), along with unsaturated oils, moderate aged cheeses, and plenty of good old time herbs, and heavy on the fruit (the so called mediterranean diet) that this can be better than starving oneself. My italian side of the family, well they are all octogenarians or better, and my UK side of the family are all dead. This could be genetic, but from what we know about beta protein and plaques ,tangles , and blocked arteries, i' m just a bit sceptical about calorie reduction as my italian side are all a few pounds overweight and my UK side are all skinny rails. Just one person's opinion.
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:56 AM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default one size fits all? Hah!

There's a theory that different blood types (because of heredity linkage) have different nutritional needs. While I think it is a little simplistic, it does make a lot of sense to think that cs's jolly Italian ancestors would have had more babies eating pizza and thereby have given him more pizza genes. Similarly, if grandma was an Eskimo thriving on blubber then I'm gonna be healthier on a high fat diet. Darwinianism can be abused like anything else, but the big idea that healthy individuals leave more babies is a no-brainer.

I thrive on red meat. Heck, I started salivating just typing the darned sentence! Some do well with milk. Others had ancestors who did not keep herds. Same with grains.

As if things weren't complicated enough. -Rick
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:13 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face I guess you guys don't know me very well....<wink>

In any event... there are studies to cover every contingency today.

There is a new study showing distilled spirits actually can reduce diabetes risk:

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/InT...137438309.html

What works for mice, does not always translate to humans. This deprived food intake gets alot of attention. But long term results in humans are lacking.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:53 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default complex

Isn't comparing studies about what kinds of foods you eat to studies about biochemical results stimulated by when you eat kind of like comparing apples to oranges?

Neither kind of study paints a whole picture; what and when you eat are not mutually exclusive.

The validity of eating a certain diet (CS's position) is not changed or threatened by this study that suggests that when you eat is also important.

The message for me is that the main thing we are learning from research is that PD is complex, our bodies are complex, and there is a lot left to learn.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:01 PM #7
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default it all matters

Eventually, for some of us - both what and when matter. The only way I can be guaranteed not to go off is to eat very little at a time and watch the dairy and protein. So for example, one of my favorite meals is a tuna salad sub and ice cream for desert. After eating this, I can kiss my day good bye because I'm full and full of the wrong food.

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:47 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Paula -

Is the tuna salad sub from Subway? I love those! And I'm hooked on several Ben & Jerry's flavors right now; they're always on sale at the grocery store I frequent.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 PM #9
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Rick, you made me think of this site {below}
- I have the book and a lot of the foods mentioned as good/bad for my blood type fit for me.
I feel better or worse in general depending on some food choices.

http://www.dadamo.com/

[ Welcome to the first science that understands you as a biochemical individual. Following decades of ongoing research and clinical work, Dr. D’Adamo created The Blood Type Diets, a way of eating and living that has transformed the health of millions.

His first book, the New York Times best-seller Eat Right 4 Your Type, started a health revolution that continues unabated over ten years later. Now, with more than 3 million copies in print in over 50 languages, Eat Right 4 Your Type celebrates its 10th year as an unprecedented non-stop bestseller in hardcover.]

FAQs-
http://www.dadamo.com/faq/smartfaq.cgi
Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 PM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Another of interest

"Parkinson's Disease: Reducing Symptoms with Nutrition and Drugs" by Dr. Geoffrey Leader, MB ChB FRCA and Lucille Leader, Dip, ION

Like the idea of genetics determining your ideal diet, it also makes sense that careful fasting might be good for us. Evolving on the Plains with the great herds, the pattern would tend to be binge and fast. That would give the body a chance to clean house.