Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 04:43 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs down Maybe it's not meant to be...

Ya ever start doing something, even if it's like a hobby or something around the house and it seems that it's just one thing after another going wrong with the process???
I do a long of craft work and sewing. Decided that I'd make myself a purse (I'd made others in the past). Well, at first I had the top zipper in between the suede & lining wrong side up and had to rip that out....
Got the zipper back in right way, was feeling ever so proud of how it was looking as I finished the seam on one side of zipper.....DANG IT!!! I forgot to include the loops that hold the HANDLE!!
Sooo, here we have it...a beautiful brown suede purse, with a nice heavy lining, a zipper across the top that loose wonderful....and a HANDLE still lying on the craft table!!!!!
Maybe I'll just duct tape it to the sides, who knows...
anyways, I layed it aside for a while, feeling like making this thing just is not meant to be at this time...LOL
Figured I'd share the thoughts and see if anyone else ever has situations like this??? LOL

Marilyn

We are friends for a reason. Sometimes we don't know why until we've been friends for a long time !!!

Take time to laugh, it's music to the soul.

Corkybird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-20-2007, 08:26 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Oh, yeah, got my degree in that

Even got a t-shirt

I used to sew a lot when my kid/step-kids were younger.

I made a beautiful Easter dress for my step-daughter. Really expensive fabric. Lot of ruffles and ribbons. When the thing was all done, it was WAY TOO short-waisted. Still don't don't know how the heck I managed that. The pattern was right. Apparently the operator of the scissors was wrong Since there was a vertical stripe in the bodice, I would have had to buy more material and re-do the entire top of the dress just to make the bodice longer. What I ended up doing was cutting some additional fabric with the stripes going horizontally and put that between the waist of the dress and the bodice. Every time I look at the picture of that dress, I see it as "screwed up" but everyone absolutely loved it, including my step-daughter and she was not big on wearing dresses.

The other time that comes to mind was the time that I made my son a winter coat. Out of fake fur. Matching Russian-style hat. The lining of the coat was coordinated quilted material.

The first time I screwed up, I didn't allow for how much room the lining was going to take. So, I had to increase the pattern and re-cut everything. So ... already I've wasted a ton of expensive fabric.

I really wanted to do this

Then I made the hat and the coat and they were absolutely adorable and gorgeous. French seams. Very expensive fabric.

Except,

The lining had two sides to it -- a light side and a dark side. I forgot to pay attention to that fact when I was putting in the sleeves. So ... the body of the lining was dark brown and the sleeve lining was beige.

I was mad But, I was determined that I was not going to waste anymore fabric. Darn kid could wear the coat with backward sleeves.

My husband's uncle was living with us. His uncle used to be a tailor. He looked at the coat and told me that I had done an absolutely fantastic job. I'm beaming Then he says -- get this -- "you even put in variegated sleeves". I told him that was a mistake. He said no-no, people pay more for that

So, Marilyn, I figure based on my own experience, if you finish your purse (leaving off the duct tape, of course), you're probably going to have something that's gonna be an absolute award winner

Now, you have to be sure to show us pictures when you're all done. You've got us all waiting here with baited breath to see what the final version will be -->> with or without duct tape

Big hugs.

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:13 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Barbara dear, I truly needed your shared story about the coat with the inside out sleeves. Now it makes me feel good knowing that our mistakes are worth more! LOL
Well, I slept on it..(not the actual purse, just the idea)..and got up this morn and looked at that thing..thought "Dang, this zipper just is NOT going to work on this style of purse"...so today was rippin the darn thing out for the THIRD time! ha ha I bought a big magnetic snap at fabric store as well as some poly braided cord which shall be used as the longer strap. The purse is still in the making...it's just gained a different type of strap instead of wood handles, and lost it's zipper ( I have a similar problem with my mouth at times, it's lost it's zipper and won't shut up!!! ). The dilemna was made alllllllll better today though. Hubby took me shopping for new jeans and I bought ones that are 2 sizes smaller than what I had in April.

We are friends for a reason. Sometimes we don't know why until we've been friends for a long time !!!

Old 09-21-2007, 07:20 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

I agree! You might begin a new fashion trend: handleless purses!
Oh, we've all been there, I'm sure, even if we don't admit it.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:00 PM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Corky, remember we knew you could do it

lor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:23 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Teeth

the purse became a book bag...ROFLMAO
By the time I'd ripped that dang zipper out 3 times, decided to put a snap on it, and the diff handle....it looked horrible as it gapped open and I truly was sick of messin with it by that time so figure I'd go on with my purse I made several yrs ago and call this one a book bag!!!!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:52 PM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I bet it looks awesome Corkybird!
Pamster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:23 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

They say that people that carve wood and stone can see "the inner animal" before they even start carving.

WOW!! You've discovered the "inner bookbag" -- a new species

You *STILL* owe us pictures, you know

Good job
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote