ALS For support and discussion of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease." In memory of BobbyB.

advertisement

Old 09-22-2007, 08:09 AM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up Taking strides to fight ALS

Taking strides to fight ALS

Click-2-Listen
By Brock Letchworth
The Daily Reflector

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Joel Bostic's legs may cramp as he runs along the highways between New Bern and Emerald Isle today, but he says his heart will help him overcome it.

Bostic, 19, and 24-year-old running mate Josh Doggett are expected to complete a two-day run to the beach today. The run, a roughly 78-mile trek that began Friday in Greenville, is a fundraiser for the Jim "Catfish" Hunter Chapter of the ALS Association.

Rhett Butler/The Daily Reflector

Joel Bostic, center, fills a water carrying device as his mother, Jill Hollis, looks and Josh Doggett, back, prepares other items on Thursday evening. Bostic and Doggett are running to the beach this weekend to raise money for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). Hollis suffers from ALS.

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive motor neuron disease that attacks nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord and damages motor neurons. There is no cure.

Bostic's mom, Jill Hollis, was diagnosed with ALS in June 2004 and her fight through physical problems and her attitude were an inspiration for the beach run, Bostic said.

"She has always been the strongest person I've known," Bostic said. "When she was originally diagnosed, it was a shock, but she has always made it easy for everyone with her attitude and her spirit.

"I thought this run was a good way to honor her and raise money."

The run includes stops only for refilling water bottles and a short break for lunch each day, Bostic said.

As of Sept. 13, the duo had raised nearly $500, but donations are still being accepted for the miles they log.

Hollis said she has been touched by the efforts of her son and Doggett.

"You can only imagine what it means to me," Hollis said. "I had no idea they were planning this."

Others who have chosen a more conventional approach to fundraising will gather at the Greenville Town Common next Saturday for the annual Down East Walk to D'Feet ALS. The event, which begins registration at 9 a.m., is expected to attract more than 550 people, event organizer Randall Martoccia said.

Bostic is planning to join his mom's team — The HandiCAPABLES — for the walk, which Martoccia says has a goal of raising $70,000. Last year's event raised $55,000.

East Carolina University senior Ashley Bailor, leader of team Ash 4 Aunt D, says her squad will do its part to help accomplish the goal. Bailor, whose aunt Debby Boswell lost her battle with ALS in December 2004, said she has family traveling from Maryland and Florida to take part in the walk.

"I had a very special relationship with (my aunt) and, as you can imagine, my family was at a great loss because of her death," Bailor said. "I realize how detrimental ALS is to people all over the world and every little bit helps. I started Ash 4 Aunt D as a way to help families in similar situations that mine had been in, as well as raising awareness and searching for a cure."

Bailor said she expects this year's turnout to be the best ever for her team, which participated in the walk for the first time in 2005. The team had already raised more than $1,200 through Friday.

There are 27 teams signed up for this year's walk and more are expected to join by the registration deadline, Martoccia said. Some of the teams include the baseball teams from East Carolina University and Pitt Community College along with members of the East Carolina physical therapy department, tennis team, dance team and exercise and sports science department.

For a list of all the teams or more information on how to form a team or donate, visit www.catfishchapter.org or call Matthew Morrison at (877) 568-4347. For more information on Bostic and Doggett's run, visit www.outrunals.com.
http://www.reflector.com/local/conte...22/ALSrun.html

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement