Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 09-23-2007, 02:48 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Weekly Check-In Sept 23-29, 2007 Welcome New Community Members

Hi Everyone..A warm Welcome to our new community members!

Ive been busy all week getting my traps back in the water, and the new traps work well, so Im pleased about that..The weather is really nice here the past few days

My girlfriend and I went to the New Bedford Waterfront Festival yesterday..Two of the Captains from the Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch"..Capt Phil Harris, and Capt Jonathan Hilstrand were there, and I got to meet them both..Real great down to earth guys..My girlfriend and I both took pictures, and my girlfreind took one of me shaking Phil Harris's hand..I dropped the film off a CVS when we got back into town, and when I went back to pick them up this afternoon, I had a strange feeling that one of the rolls of film didnt come out, and wouldnt you know, that the roll of film in my girlfriends camera was blank!..My girlfriend was almost in tears, but I told her not to get upset..**** happens..What are ya gonna do?..That after I broke down out on the water, today, and was stuck for 3 hours before a friend came by and towed me in..Then when I got back to the dock another friend fooled around with my outboard for 2 minutes and got it running..I did everything that he did for 3 hours and couldnt get it to kick....Some luck Ive got!....@#%$&*%$#@&!!!!!!!..

I hope you all had a better day than me

Last edited by stevem53; 09-23-2007 at 08:26 PM.
stevem53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-23-2007, 05:52 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi Steve,

Well who can't see your frustration in your words..lol. Who needs it? Yes **** happens but I hate it when it does! Still that looked like a lot of fun seeing those guys.

I need you guys to be aware that everyone has a conference in October. They start in September. I know there's no impressing this group...lol..and I'm not trying - i just want to give you a heads up that much attention, much, is being paid to clinical trials....it is the issue... one that can be successfully and collaboratively improved. This can be a win..you have to go through clinical trials. And we all want the same thing.

I will talk to many researchers in Pittsburgh this week at the Udall Centers Conference. I am blessed. I will talk about adverse events, falls - this is a doable improvement.

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:50 PM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem53 View Post
Two of the Captains from the Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch"..Capt Phil Harris, and Capt Jonathan Hilstrand were there, and I got to meet them both..Real great down to earth guys..
Steve, I know this is your fav show. Was it like meeting a rock star? Sounds like a fun, fun day for you both.

I went Apple hunting last weekend. Found a friut that is a cross breed of an apple and a pear...shape of an apple, skin of a pear...odd tasting too. Not hard to do in Adams County Pennsylvania where Knouse/Musselman's makes pie fillings, sliced apples, apple juice, vinegar (apple cider and distilled)(smells bad when being cooked too), apple sauce, apple rings, baked apples, fried apples, chipped apples, apple juice, sparkling cider, sliced apples, pie fillings, vinegar, fruit cobblers and apple butter. Oh yes, and where the National Apple Museum is located....guided tours are available!
I am off Omaha, NE on Weds to present to APDA facilitators on Thur and then general population group on Friday about Clinical Trials. Crossing my fingers I don't make a mess of it all. Me on a stage is rather scary...yikes

Hope everyone has a Beautiful Week
Fall is on it's way and Halloween is only 31 days away.

icon044.gif
The squirrels and other small critters are already scurrying to
hide their nuts and other tasty food finds!!

ANI moving ghost.gif
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:56 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Carolyn

It was a pleasure to meet those guys, and to thank them for what they have done for the fishing industry.I guess it would compare to a parkie meeting Micheal J Fox or Muhhumed Ali
Old 09-24-2007, 11:25 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default my week...

Carolyn - Good luck in Omaha - although you won't need it. You know your subject and have lots of experience training!! You go girl!

I had a tough week - tripped on a crack in the sidewalk and broke my arm and chipped a tooth. I lay there for a while (after falling) checking to see if i had all my teeth (mostly ... ) with blood dripping from my face, wondering if some good samaritan would stop by me and offer assistance. Nope. Either no one saw me or they did not want to help. Either way I got up by myself and limped home.

Now I can't manage my camera -- so I'm frustrated by all the photos I could take if only i were able! So Steve I feel your pain - frustrating that you had photos of a lifetime and now they're gone. Bummer.

And so it goes. Hope everyone has a good week. I'm looking forward to having a better week...

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:27 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hi

Hello Everyone

I haven't been on in a while.
Just wanted to let you know that I am doing well
and still among the land of the living. lol
I miss everyone.

School is going well. The little darlings are
behaving fairly well.

Love to all,
Mary
maryfrances is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Busy out my way. Started teaching at a local college, one Bachelor's level course, and one Master's level course. Tons of work and after one 3 hour class session, I'm truly wiped out! They've already asked me to come back next semester but I seriously don't know if I can handle it. Fatigue is a huge issue with me, so I guess time will tell. Plus, the whole multi-tasking thing is far more difficult with PD. Hard to stay focused on even one task at a time. Ugh...

Mostly I feel okay. Finally got a new neurologist (within my health care plan) who is great and is willing to be extremely cooperative with my MDS (who I pay for out of pocket since she's not under my health care plan) so that relationship will only benefit me. It was a long, hard fight but worth it in the end. I finally feel like I have a good care team which certainly helps my peace of mind as well.

Other than that, just trying to stay fit both physically and psychologically. Both can certainly be a challenge sometimes but the end results are well worth it. I feel so much better when I'm well rested and had a good workout.

The speaking business is going well. Have a big event coming up in which I'm the opening speaker. No pressure or anything!

Bought a new car, probably my last toy. (You know us boys - we need our toys!) It's a Dodge Magnum SRT8 with 425 HP and fast as ever. I'm truly in love...

Have a great week everyone!

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:22 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Teeth howdy

its still hot here-80s and nineties but the sunlight has that thinner fall look to it and it will cool off soon.
steve, how cool to meet those guys! i bet they never thought theyld be famous. ha!

and todd, 425hp? how can you stay out of trouble with that?
sorry you fell jean, thats a hard knock!
carolyn, thats great what youre doing.
oyster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:01 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster View Post
its still hot here-80s and nineties but the sunlight has that thinner fall look to it and it will cool off soon.
steve, how cool to meet those guys! i bet they never thought theyld be famous. ha!

and todd, 425hp? how can you stay out of trouble with that?
sorry you fell jean, thats a hard knock!
carolyn, thats great what youre doing.
They were asked about how they deal with the fame, and first of all, they didnt think it would go further than a brief documentary..Something for their grandchildren to see..But as Phil put it.."I dont understand how a bunch of backward idiots like us ended up with all this notoriety..I cant go grocery shopping with out having a Mayady in the supermarket..We're just fishermen, ordinary people like all of you"..They get mobbed everywhere they go..God Bless those guys..they have done more for the fishing industry than anybody probably in history..The gave the industry a new face, and made folk heros of us again, and brought the truth about the industry into peoples living rooms..Its all good

I got to talk to them for a few minutes, and Capt Jon told me that he fished out of New Bedford and Gloucester Ma back in the 90's, and lost a boat south of Nantucket, but the crew got off safely
Old 09-27-2007, 05:55 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Fatigue

Todd

Fatigue is a huge issue with me too. Dominates my life. Restricts everything and I am only three years seven months since dx.

Have you found anything that helps except rest and mild exercise?

Chris
Suffolkchris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote