Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default MRI results... opinions please

Hey guys, I mainly post on the peripheral neuropathy forums but I thought this might be the appropriate place to post as well since I have lower back issues.

I got an MRI on my lumbar spine, and the doctor said that I had to have surgery done. I probably felt the same way because 2 years ago, my back wouldn't respond to physical therapy or epidurals.

As you can see, the normal nerve root is about .5 cm in thickness (that was from my l3 disk) and the abnormal one is only .1 cm in thickness on both sides). Is that considered serious? I'm in Korea, so I couldn't really communicate well with the doctor. I assumed no because it didn't really bother my back, but it looks bad when I look at the MRI. I experience only minor back pain, but have pretty bad feet pain (bilateral). I have two herniations, l4-l5-s1, and they pretty much look the same as the bottom picture. Now, I also suffer from burning/tingling feet, primarily on the soles and outside of my feet, do you guys think that the impingement can be a cause of that? The other parts of my leg feel absolutely fine, which is why it may not be the cause. But my spine doctor feels like it is the cause, saying the l4-l5-s1 nerves contribute primarily to the lower leg/feet. He recommends nucleoplasty, do you think that it's a good procedure? Are there alternate more effective procedures out there? Thanks for reading.
aloneouthere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Doc might be right

Hello aloneoutthere,
You can get a diagram of the nervous system and see which vertabrae the various nerves exit from, it's as easy as reading a road map. I think your doctor may be though as I am experiencing basically the same thing as you, except it's the tops of my feet, I can't move my toes upwards. This is controlled by the nerve S2. This nerve exits vertabrae L4 I think, the area where I had a disc removal and fusion about 6 months ago. So now I'm going the routine of trying to nail this problem down. Have had the epidural, myelograms, ct's and the nerve conduction test. The nerve conduction test should be renamed something more appropriate like maybe, The KGB Method of Making You Talk or Scream For Mercy!! I'm no whimp when it comes to pain, but I'm telling you that test is barbaric to say the least. I understand the need for the test and the fact that it is painful or they couldn't get the results needed, just a heads up. I'd get a couple of opinions and get it fixed before you wake up one morning like I did and find out you can't walk properly, that will scare you straight as it has me. I wish you luck, don't play with this thing as it could damage nerves.
Ben
Ben Raper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello Alloneoutthere

First off - you are not alone - out - there :-) You are in the right place here -this is a great place for advice, support or answers to your condition.

Second....I never take one Doctor's word at face value...I am a disabled Vet and learned long, long time ago to always ask for a second opinion....especially when a doctor says "surgery". (When he mutters Lumbar Fusion......Risks...you could see me literally running out the door!....My neurosurgeon has wanted to complete a L5-L3 Lumbar Fusion with Laminectomy for 5 years now - but when he says in the same breath - you will be trading one pain for another - I decided to hold off)

You say that you are in Korea...can you get a second opinion regarding your MRI and your doctor's suggestion?

Remember - you are an individual...and no two diagnosis' are the same. Pain affects each person differently. What may not hurt you..may knock me down to the ground. Your back, your pain tolerance, and your situation is totally unique to you.

What kind of surgery did your doctor suggest?
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote