Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 09:52 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Weekly Check-In Sept 30-Oct 6, 2007 Welcome New Community Members

Hi Everyone..Welcome to our new community members!..We hope you become regulars..part of the gang

I just got some bad news..The facillitator from my YOPD support group sent me/us an e-mail to inform me that we lost another member of our group..Gloria had not been doing well over the past year, actually, in the 3 years that Ive belonged to that group, Gloria never was doing good..She had one of the Parkinsons plus syndromes..She couldnt talk, needed help to eat..she needed help doing just about everything..Her husband was a trooper, and took care of her like a guardian angel..The last time he was at our group, he came alone and told us that he had to take a leave of absence from work to take care of her because she had gotten worse..and that he did..Her obituary said that she died at home..Gloria was only 58..Ive had the opportunity to meet some amazing people along the path of this journey, and many of them are carepartners..In some cases Ive seen unconditional love that knows no boundaries..Those who vigilantly walk the road less traveled..Ive felt for a long time that since Ive had pd, that Ive been introduced to a dimension of life that I never knew existed..Its been a bittersweet mixture of loss, awareness, self discovery, and spirituallity..Ive meet some great people, and made some extraordinary frienships..Unfortunately it comes with a high price for all of us..Whether it be us parkies, or our loved ones..We're all in it together

I brought my kitten to the Vet to get spayed on Thursday..She stayed over night, and is doing fine..My calico cat fights with her all day long..tries to corner her..The Vet had told me that calicos are very possessive, and this appears to be the case with her

I talked to Rosebud on the phone for a while last night..It was good to talk to her and catch up on whats going on..Its good to hear that you are doing ok..

Ive been trying to get my act together fishing..I still have traps to put in, and that breakdown really screwed up my game plan..I had a load of traps on the boat when my motor crapped out, and had to dump them over while I was drifting in a non-productive area, so I still have to retrieve them when the wind stops blowing, probably on Monday..The Sinamet CR is working well..I did quite a bit today, and am feeling pretty good right now considering

How was your week?

advertisement
Old 09-30-2007, 06:37 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

SIZE="5"]Hello!

I only drop in occasionally, and have over the past 8 or so years. All is well, pretty much. I take on more, and different, responsibilities at work tomorrow morning, and am trying to feel very confident about it. I'm also adding an hour a day to my work schedule. I figure either I can do it and things will smooth out at work, or I can't do it and will speed up being able to "retire" on disability! Either way, it'll be good.

When I first started prowling around the PD forums, I was so scared! Parkinson's seemed so devestating. So many questions: How long could I work? Would I always feel horrible? Would I turn into a zombie, unable to move? The answers to those fears were found from folks down the road ahead of me. Most of the answers were, "Maybe, someday, or maybe not, but not today so make the most of it." That was about 8 years ago, way back when I was just barely into my 40s. I'm still working, still moving, only feel horrible when I do way more than I know I can do.

Attitude: A little thing that means so much!

The Mouse[/SIZE]
Mouse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:26 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default are you the Mouse..........

that does Civil War renactments???
Glad to hear you are doing well!!

Charlie Black
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:47 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My week was absolutely crazy. I still work full time, and it was month end/quarter end. So I had my IT stuff to do plus a bunch of order processing, shipping to worry about. On top of this, I've decided to go back to school, so I'm doing the University of Phoenix Online thing. I just took a 5-week course in HTML and website design, and it was a lot of work both mentally and physically.

At the same time, my Sinemet was increased to 6-1/2 times from 4-1/2. I had been off more than on for the past month, and on Sept. 20th I had my neuro appointment. My wonderful doctor increased my Sinemet to see if that would work, and it did. After 1 week of no results, I now feel like my old self again even with all of the extra work that I've been doing. The tell-tale improvement was last Thursday when I was able to get out of a chair without pushing on the sides, my knees or the seat. I was even able to play the piano again on Saturday, which I haven't done in nearly a month due to the tremor in my right hand, the fatigue, and the stiffness. The music flowed from the fingers almost like it used to.

So it's been an up week for me, and I get a little 1 week vacation from school before I start Algebra I, which ought to be interesting since the last time I saw Algebra was in 1982.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:47 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello, just wanted to say how I do appreciate all the people who post on this forum. Thank you, Steve for getting this particular thread started each week; it has been one of my favorites for some time now. I find something helpful each time I check in. Sometimes it is just knowing about the ordinary everyday things that life consists of that reminds me that there is more to life than just me and my PD. I've dropped in enough times that I consider you friends, as you share your insights, feelings, and questions. Lately, I've been feeling sort of selfish in taking all of this in while not contributing anything. Hopefully, that will change.

When I was first diagnosed, I was sad and scared. Then I thought I would just stay busy, work hard and perhaps the pd would go away if I ignored it (at least maybe not progress). My Dr. started me out right away with requip and after awhile I (my wife and family even more) was thinking the meds were worse than the desease. Now almost two years later I am disappointed with the drugs, the pd seems to have progressed faster than I expected. I have decided though that as long as possible I'm not letting pd have me but I'm going to do everything I can to keep on enjoying life.

One of the things I enjoy a great deal is this forum. I value the freedom to express my ideas and feelings with as much freedom as possible. I think this is made possible here, my thanks go to DocJohn and the moderators, also. I hope many people come here and particpate, at least at some point. I miss many of you when you don't show up. Someday, I hope I'm missed by someone.
Cando is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:31 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A special week.

This was a special week with a very special visit - Jaye and her husband came to visit us. It is a joy to spend a day with such interesting people. After knowing Jaye's thoughts and opinions from the forum since 2001 I thought I knew her rather well - and so I did, and now I'm very happy to know her even better. I've always enjoyed Jaye's posts on the forum, and she is EVEN better company outside the computer. it was a real treat to finally meet and to get to know each other.

birte
BEMM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:43 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Ya gotta love them both!!

Jaye and Bruce are both SUPER people!!
Jaye is one of my very best friends.

Charlie
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:08 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cando View Post
Hello, just wanted to say how I do appreciate all the people who post on this forum. Thank you, Steve for getting this particular thread started each week; it has been one of my favorites for some time now. I find something helpful each time I check in. Sometimes it is just knowing about the ordinary everyday things that life consists of that reminds me that there is more to life than just me and my PD. I've dropped in enough times that I consider you friends, as you share your insights, feelings, and questions. Lately, I've been feeling sort of selfish in taking all of this in while not contributing anything. Hopefully, that will change.

When I was first diagnosed, I was sad and scared. Then I thought I would just stay busy, work hard and perhaps the pd would go away if I ignored it (at least maybe not progress). My Dr. started me out right away with requip and after awhile I (my wife and family even more) was thinking the meds were worse than the desease. Now almost two years later I am disappointed with the drugs, the pd seems to have progressed faster than I expected. I have decided though that as long as possible I'm not letting pd have me but I'm going to do everything I can to keep on enjoying life.

One of the things I enjoy a great deal is this forum. I value the freedom to express my ideas and feelings with as much freedom as possible. I think this is made possible here, my thanks go to DocJohn and the moderators, also. I hope many people come here and particpate, at least at some point. I miss many of you when you don't show up. Someday, I hope I'm missed by someone.
First of all, thanks for your appreciation of this thread!..It has been a tradition that was passed down from parkie to parkie, and passed down to me from Jaye

I can relate to what you said about how you've dealt with pd..I can remember how I felt when the word "Parkinsons" came out of that Dr's mouth..It was in the top 5 scariest moments of my life..The first year after my dx was the toughest..I didnt know whether I had lost a horse, or had found a rope..I too had decided that I would go on with my life like it wasnt there, but pd is hard to ignore..It wakes up with you every morning, and goes to sleep with you every night..With the passing of time I have been able to accept it, and live with it, and for me the meds are working ok..finally..It really does take some time to figure out what works well for us individually, and I can remember ol'cs making that point many times..It took me 3 years to get a regimen that does the job..I take a Sinamet CR 50/200, and a Mirapex .25 twice a day..I know if I did this 3 times a day I would feel even better, but at this point I am only interested in getting through the daylight hours of the day when Im active..I start getting a little funky later on at night, but its not a big deal because its almost time to go to bed by the time the meds completely wear off
Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default It was w o n d e r f u l

to meet my friend Birthe and her dynamic husband. These are people who live a wonderfully full and alive life, and we were honored to share it. She described it so well that it's hard to elaborate. Suffice it to say I was deeply touched by getting to know her better.

Charlie, I'll send your ten dollars soon.

Jaye
Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Check-In Sept 30-Oct 6, 2007 Welcome New Community Members-img_1131-jpg  
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hello

Hi all,

I continue to wonder why I have this awful disease.
I never thought in a million years that I would get PD. Especially at such a young age. I don't want PD. It sucks.

Could somebody please take it away????

Mary
maryfrances is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote