Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 09-30-2007, 08:40 PM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Next time you see your neurologist...

As some of you know, I lost my driving priviledges on June 19th due to a post-surgical seizure caused by brain swelling. On September 17th, at my 3-month evaluation I asked to have my keys back.

What I received from not an answer, but I soon got an answer. My trial doc said that he couldn't tell me to drive or not to drive. He explained that due to tremor, PD medication side effects, rigidity, etc., that he would prefer than none of us drove a car. About that time the trial coordinator told him I was to fly in a plane soon and was it okay for me to do so?

His reply, which is almost "under his breath"...but he did reply

"I would rather she fly than drive."

Ask your neurologist how me feels about you flying in a plane versus driving. Will you receive the same response...fly but don't drive a car.

You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-30-2007, 11:16 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default someone trying to cover their backside . . .

I'm wired for sound tonight working on this:
Proposal for a Parkinson’s Disease Drug Program:
Cross Jurisdictional Study of
P/T Drug Programs & National Pharmacare
Hence, I'm still on the 'puter

This sort of thing makes me angry and smells of someone trying to cover their backside. I'm assuming that your MRI and CT scan showed that the swelling had subsided and you were placed and Dilantin or some equitable anticonvulsant as a preventative. So -- is the bottom line; it's up to your own best judgment? Is your driving insurance good to go? Or does this character have to sign clearance on your behalf? It sounds like you have to seek clarification on a few points and decide how you feel. You may know, I've only driven about 3 days of the last month, with my med adjustments and an allergic reaction to Comtan. I pick and choose my times to drive and pick a circuitous dead quiet route. Only a parkie will understand this -- I avoid left hand turns - my PD side. Don't know if this has been any help, but please let us know the outcome. I’d like to see a doctor like that one spend $500. 00 for every taxi for 3 mos. Then perspective might be gained. They're too big to spank. Guy
wwally0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:05 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Guy, I had hoped I came across as a "funny", but I see I didn't.

Doctors have liability issues too. Yes, I had "serial" MRIs for 10 days while on steroids to bring the swelling under control and to get my senses back. I was put on Keppra, but stopped taking that in August. The seizure was a one-time thing, and should never happen again.

Fortunately for me, while I was not able to drive, I was able to use the local Para/Senior citizen Transportation System to get where I needed to go.
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:18 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Good morning Carolyn;
I’m glad you are not being hard done to and that public transit is within reach. Docs have a lot of power over our lives and most of the ones I’ve dealt with are amazing, but every once in a while . ... Guy
wwally0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote