Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 10-05-2007, 06:45 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Disability Insurance

My husband, 58 years of age, in the same profession as a distribution operations manager, was FINALLY diagnosed with Parkinson's 3 1/3 yrs. ago (May 2004). 2 yrs. prior to that, he was diagnosed with a benign familial tremor. Before that, other syptoms, etc., etc., You know the drill.

Anyway, he was diagnosed with parkinson's about 2 months after signing onto a disability policy with his new employer. He has been continuously covered for by that disability policy for about 3.5 years. After reading the pre-existing condition policy, he should be OK on that front (policy waives pre-existing conditions when continuously covered for 365 days).

The demands of his job - 10 to 12 hour days, on the floor 95% of the time, using a computer with a severe tremor in his right hand, dyskenisia, swaying, shuffling at times, slow movement, major cognitive problems - you name it, he has it - have finally taken their toll. He went out of work on STD in August and he has since filed with the LTD carrier, Hartford.

Looking for some feedback, regarding any experience folks have had with disability insurance companies. I've been surfing the net and everything I read is negative!! I once had a heart attack and was on LTD and my insurance company rep, and company - Liberty - was very helpful.

Feedback would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance for you help.
jstevens43 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-05-2007, 08:20 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default As long as the policy's

pre existing conditions rule is covered then I have found companies to be v. helpful.

Keep them in the loop, and I found UK insurance providers to be most helpful. When you have a positive dx of PD, they have more on their plate chasing fraudulent "bad backs", "headaches" and "depression" claims that take up 90% of their time.

PD is serious and life changing, you know that and they know that as well.

Neil.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:20 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default exactly..

as Aftermathman said. When a meeting is arranged with the head of human resources with the company, they usually just ask how long you think you may be able to work. In my case they continued to observe my performance and when it appeared that they were flogging a dead horse, they invited me to go on STD, and i went directly on LTD because they knew that there was "no getting better" with PD. After that SSDI put me on the roles with a simple phonecall and a check n with my neuro.
It is obvious when "we are done". My immediate boss used to encourage me years efore i went out to stop working , so I could "have a few good years to travel around and have a retirement" because he was aware of the long cold winter that was about to set in.
BUt like a good drone, I hauled my butt in every day until I told them "i want to come in, but the left side of my body won't bring the right side in". THis is a reference to the fact that some PD starts very severely on one side of the body, before both sides are equally (or not) affected.
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 PM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

50% of my income is Long-Term Disability insurance...the other 50% is SSDI.

I worked in employee benefits for 15 years before "retiring" to disability in 2000, and my last job included LTD for 125,000 employees before I moved to the the beneficiary side of the fence.

You have already read the pre-existing condition clause and passed that one.

Other parts you need to read, if they exist in your policy:
  1. Elimination Period: This would be the period of time BEFORE benefits would begin IF his claim is accepted. If it is in your policy, and it probably is, it is probably the first 90-days of disability. The 90-days would begin with the first day he no longer works.
  2. Duration of Coverage: Most policies are not indefinite, but his might be. For example, my LTD ends when I turn 65 years of age. At that point I will be solely on SSDI or SS.
  3. Amount of Income from the policy: Most plans do not cover 100% of income, and many average wages from the immediately prior 6 month period, beginning with the date of the claim. Also, many plans cover an average of 66-2/3 of the wages, but other plans cover 100% of the wages received prior to the date of the claim.
  4. Income Offset: This would be for example: I receive 66-2/3 of my prior income. My LTD is offset by my SSDI; e.g. my LTD amount is reduced by the amount of my SSDI. This is important to know, so that if it is a part of your policy you don't go into the LTD thinking that you will have two incomes. Also, if I was to work at all, that income would offset the LTD too; I would have to report it to Hartford/insurance company.
  5. If he is comfortable with the idea, he might want to check with the department that handles the insurance policy...employee benefits dept...and ask them what to do and how to do it. They would be the ones to provide the claim form.When you do file the claim take very special care with the words you use. I would suggest that you begin with a WORD documents, typing the replies and modifying them as needed. When you have exactly what you want to say then write them into the form, or type them.
  6. I would also suggest you collaborate with your neurologist and know what he has written into the patient file. His files WILL be requested by the insurance company, and will be reviewed by the insurance company.
  7. Also, check the plan to see if they plan requires you to file for SSDI when and if the claim is approved. My insurance company, Hartford, required that I file for SSDI as soon as my LTD claim was approved. They also sponsored an advocate for me, at no cost to me, to ensure that my claim filing period with SS went okay. Not that they were much help, but if I had had to court before a judge to obtain SS, they would have done this with me.
  8. If he is comfortable with the idea, he might want to check with the department that handles the insurance policy...employee benefits dept...and ask them what to do and how to do it. They would be the ones to provide the claim form.
Hope this is helpful. Basically, KNOW you policy inside and out, up and down. Know your right under the policy.

I was lucky, I went into my last job with the PD diagnosis. So, when it was time for me, as a new employee, to sign up for LTD, I DID!! Initial enrollment in the plan waived pre-existing conditions.

You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:37 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default disability insurance - thanks for feedback

Thanks to all who responded. It was relieving to hear say something on a positive note about their LTD experience. As I stated b4, I've read so many negative things about LTD, however, the majority of those folks were "bad back" cases and things such as fibromyalgia, depression, etc.

Thanks again.
jstevens43 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote