Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default 9 reasons to enjoy your cup of coffee...

Sorta makes me wish I was a coffee drinker!

9 reasons to enjoy your cup of coffee...
by kluka | October 8, 2007 at 06:02 am | 74 views
14 hrs ago | 9 views
http://www.nowpublic.com/health/9-re...our-cup-coffee

Canadian scientists say that drinking four cups of coffee a day may cut risk of having gout attack problems. People who drank more coffee had lower blood uric acid levels – which are linked to the condition. Drinking tea had no effect, so caffeine is probably not the active substance.

Drinking four or more cups of coffee can significantly decrease your risk of liver cancer or liver cirrhosis. Compared with non coffee drinkers, risks were for 20% smaller for drinkers of 1-2 cups per day, 40% smaller for 3-4 cups a day and 70% smaller for five cups per day or more. More coffee components have been related to this effect: caffeine, coffee oils, cafestol and antioxidants from coffee beans.

Studies have shown that caffeine intake is associated with a reduced risk of developing Parkinson's disease. The mechanisms by which caffeine affects Parkinson’s disease remains a secret, but in models researchers have shown how caffeine prevents the loss of dopamine producing nerve cells seen in Parkinson’s disease. Caution: By women undergoing HRT (hormone replacement therapy) drinking coffee can have a reverse effect causing increase in risk of developing Parkinson’s disease.

Group of German researchers discovered that drinking coffee may help prevent colon cancer, the second leading cause of cancer in western world. They identified a potent antioxidant (methylpyridinium) in coffee that appears to boost the activity of phase II enzymes, which protects against colon cancer.

Coffee consumption of 6 or more cups a day was found to reduce the risk of developing type2 diabetes. Opposite to what was thought drinking coffee caused 50% reduction in diabetes risk by men and 30% reduction by women. The coffee compound that causes that effect is called chlorogenic acid. It increases the body’s capacity to dispose glucose.

Results from several large studies have shown that people drinking 2-3 cups every day were 40% less likely to develop painful gallstones. Researchers suggested that caffeine is responsible for the gallstone effect, because it triggers gallbladder contractions, which discourage formation of gallstones.

Recent large cross-sectional studies have shown inverse association between drinking coffee and the prevalence of asthma. Risk of asthma was decreased by 29%when drinking 3 or more cups of coffee a day. This positive effect of caffeine on asthma has been appreciated for over 100 years.

Coffee is number one source of antioxidants, which have been linked to many health benefits such as protection against heart disease and cancer.

Caffeine may boost female sex drive (Honey, would you like a cup of coffee???), at least at test rats, so guys hold your horses and turn off your coffee machine… Caffeine really motivates female rats to have more frequent sex, but only with those which never had caffeine in their system.

Although coffee has some really good and disease preventing effects, this set of study results is not an invitation to start drinking too much coffee. The way how most people drink their coffee, they’re still doing far more harm than good. It means that you can have your morning cup of coffee, knowing that the coffee you’re drinking is not doing you any harm, but quite the opposite!
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-08-2007, 08:22 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Red face Me too

Never was a coffee drinker! Love the aroma, though.

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:56 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default on the other hand.....

between keeping my local Starbucks afloat and drinking a large mug of coffee every morning, I will be well protected against the afor mentioned diseases.

Charlie
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I used to drink coffee, but recently it made me nauseas so I can't drink it anymore. A side-effect of the Amantadine maybe?

I still enjoy the aroma though.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:14 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I drank coffee daily from my college years until last July. I stopped because of insomnia. It didn't help though, because I still have the insomnia.

In spite of drinking several cups of coffee every day for nearly all of my adult life, I still had to have my gall bladder removed because of gall stones, and I still developed PD.

Maybe I will start drinking coffee again. If I'm going to have insomnia anyway, I might as well enjoy myself. I really do like to start my day with a cup of coffee.

Karl
K.Ibsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:54 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default list of the amounts of caffeine in beverages:

Here's a list of the amounts of caffeine in beverages:

http://pol.spurious.biz/dev_zero/caffeine.html

I love my couple of cups in the morning. I had a good friend who was a nurse and an addictions councilor. Her view was up to 3-4 cups a day no problem, more than that could lead to stomach acidity - hiatus hernia, ulceration, insomnia. Her recommended cut-off time was 6 pm. The above list gives levels for soft drinks which is a shocker. Guy
wwally0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:14 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I've always found....

...it strange, that people are a lot like rats. If given unlimited access to ANYTHING, they have certain "preferences". Some people can take coffee or leave it, some have a distinct aversion towards it, just won't drink it, will refuse it all the time, and others are what can only be considered "coffee addicts". This evaluation goes for almost every product of industry, alcohol, chocolate, cocaine, you name it.
I have always wondered why it is that some people can take something or leave it. I like alcohol for instance, and i'm pretty sure that it's a genetic thing. However i don't like coffee, and six months ago, just smoked my last cigarette. Just up and put one out and said "no more" and i have not suffered one bit of a "withdrawal syndrome" (although i never smoked that much).
Some people just cannot get off cigarettes, or coffee, or alcohol. I tried quitting alcohol, but every time, the urge for a "nice cold beer" or two or three has always gotten the better of me. I would see a beer comercial and that would be it, i had to have a beer, or think about it continually. Now , I don't drink to get drunk, i just really enjoy a slight "alcohol buzz" from a few beers. I wonder what all this means , neurochemically speaking???
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:23 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well... It's the differences between us that make life interesting.
K.Ibsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote