Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-11-2007, 12:48 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Help translate MRI into English...

I am soliciting any help interpreting my MRI/Condition; so many of you have such a great wealth of knowledge…I welcome all input.

My symptoms include: Neck pain radiating into right shoulder and down arm - moderate to severe (EMG confirms Cervical Radiculopathy), neck aches, creaking sounds when turn my head, headaches severe (at times) starting at base of skull/neck several times a week, range of motion limited when turning head, some days I feel totally disabled with neck pain, some days not so bad...etc..

Onset of symptoms couple years ago with neck injury, re-aggravitated and substancially worsened since car accident 6 mts ago...all conservative methods tried except cervical epidural shot thus far.

__________________________________________________ _____

Examination of the individual intervertal disc spaces demonstrates mild ostoarthritic change at the C1-2 articulation

C2-3 demonstrates diffuse disc/osteophyte complex, mildly effacing ventral CSF. There is minimal narrowing of the right and mild to moderate narrowing of the left neural foramina, due to disc/osteophyte complex and hypertropic changes from the left greater than the right facet joints.

C4-5 demonstrates moderate central canal stenosis suspected to be due to a combination of a degree of developmental stenosis as well as disc/osteophyte complex and focal posterior midline disc protrusion contacting the anterior margin of the cord. There is moderate narrowing of both neural foramina, with hypertropic changes from the facet joints contributing to the neural forminal stenosis.

C5-6 demonstrates central canal stenosis, with disc/osteophyte complex superimposed upon a degree of developmental stenosis, contributing to the central canal narrowing. There is moderate to severe bilateral neural foraminal stenosis with proliferative changes from the facet joints contributing to the stenosis.

C6-7 and C7-T1 are unremarkable.
oscar36 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-11-2007, 12:36 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi Oscar,
Just from what you describe of your injury and history, i wonder if you might have some aspects of thoracic outlet syndrome along with your C spine problems.

I'll give you the link to the TOS forum and our sticky with useful sites and info- the anatomy and dermatomes info will be helpful for you also.-
TOS forum
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24
useful sticky-
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=84
Old 10-12-2007, 12:16 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Your C2: You have bone spurs (which is what "osteophyte" denotes).

The other levels of your C-spine also seem to have spurs, based on what you posted.

The C-spine or levels encompass your cervical spine, not the T-spine or Thoracic.

As you noted, from your MRI, the C6-C7 and T1 are "unremarkable," meaning nothing out of the "norm" was detected or discerned. TOS? I don't understand how that would factor.

You have arthritis - spurs and facets (which provide for mobility and movement).

You didn't state your age range, and that's okay, only... with time and with activity and age, many people end up with the same as you. Some with syptoms and some without.

Spur removal is possible, only, the spurs will return - with time.

The stenosis is what I'd want monitored most closely; it's spinal cord compression.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:55 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default MRI Translation

Hello Oscar36!

It would help to know what you are looking for exactly. Are you looking for a literal translation to what the MRI found or are you researching to know more about your condition?

The bone spur's can cause what you are feeling and explain the popping you are hearing. But - what has your doctor shared with you?

Are you talking to a Orthopedic Surgeon?, Neurosurgery?, or a Internist who specializes in Osteo Arthritis? If you are are they talking about surgery? Or...are they talking about "conservative therapy?"

This will help in trying to get you some answers.
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:46 PM #5
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I think they call it Thoracic Outlet Syndrome mainly due to the whole thorax area being involved.{rib cage area front & back}
Some do get something called a T4 syndrome also.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...t=AbstractPlus

It is confusing, some call it brachial plexus injury also.
The links in my other post can explain it much better.

It can be caused by whiplash or other types of car accidents, as well as many other causes, and be secondary to his c spine injury/symptoms.
And not many drs are knowledgeable about TOS.

But to help Oscar better, more info would be best.