Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default PBS..."on the state of stem cell research in California"

PBS and Norway

Published October 9th, 2007 podcast

Bulletin from The Department of Reversed Order of Importance
  1. A podcast from yesterday’s PBS broadcast of The News Hour on the state of stem cell research in California, including three of us at The Stem Cell. Link to more podcasts via the header tab.
  2. A Nobel Prize in medicine for an embryonic stem cell pioneer, Sir Martin Evans. He isolated mouse embryonic stem cells in 1981. For more on Evans’ contribution, along with other cell biologists and embryologists of the 1980’s, see my book, Stem Cell Now, available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Evans shares the prize with two other scientists, Oliver Smithies and Mario Capecchi.
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-15-2007, 08:54 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Shocking to see NJ's lack of interest in hESCR

Hi Carolyn,

As an embryonic stem cell research supporter I have been extremely disappointed in NJ's embryonic stem cell research efforts since their 2003 pro-ESCR announcement, and do not believe we'll see much human embryonic stem cell research in NJ in the future either.

It's pretty shocking to see NJ's lack of interest in hESCR ( human embryonic stem cell research)! So it's ironic to see the "anti-choicers" protest the ballot, when the pro-hESCR folks should be outraged. Please see Senator Karcher's letter to Governor Corzine attached below.

On Dkos you may have seen my diary in June titled "Christopher Reeve Betrayed by NJ Governor".

Still hard to believe that even after the second round of stem cell funding in the BLUE state of NJ: 28 grants for ASCR ( adult and mouse-embryonic), and ONLY 5 grants for hESCR.

Unless the bond issue provides for substantial and dedicated hESCR funding it's a sham. Voters beware!

If you know anyone in the Parkinson's who as an hESCR supporter wants to speak up about this in NJ, please let me know at fayeforcure at yahoo.com.

Faye Armitage
Economist

Editor of www.StemBlog.net
Founder of www.CureParalysisNow.org
Co-Founder Iraq Veterans for Cures

September 20, 2007

Honorable Jon S. Corzine
Office of the Governor
P.O. Box 001
Trenton, N.J. 08625

Dear Governor Corzine:

As a firm supporter of stem cell research, I commend you for your efforts in bringing the state of New Jersey to the forefront of stem cell research. I believe that it is imperative that the state of New Jersey funds the type of stem cell research that the federal government has chosen to ignore.

I am writing to encourage you to explore the promotion of embryonic stem cell research. If New Jersey wants to become a leader in stem cell research, it must also be a leader in promoting embryonic stem cell research. It was my understanding that New Jersey would primarily be promoting embryonic stem cell research. Yet, out of the seventeen award recipients of 2006, only two are truly focused on the promotion of embryonic stem cell research.

I appreciate your consideration in this matter. I would ask that you contact me at 732-462-8883 or at SenKarcher@njleg.org.

Sincerely,

Ellen Karcher
Senator, 12th Legislative District

fayeforcure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote