Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 11:08 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Older Parkies - we need you!

I started the thread "part-time jobs" and, in doing so, the discussion of the statement "use it or lose it" was mentioned.

But when that school of thought was brought up, I couldn't help but think that it's easier said than done for those who have had PD for awhile.

Thinking even further, I realized that this bulletin board seems to cater to the younger parkies. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

It obviously wasn't done on purpose, but I feel as if I can put myself in their shoes and get both jaded and jealous (at the same time!), as well as have the mentality of ... "You'll learn". That's not being vindictive. It's being honest.

So this is my suggestion ...

If you've had PD for awhile (in the vicinity of 10 years???), do any of you have tricks of the trade that help keep you going? We'd love to hear them.

I can only speak for myself (I seem to be saying that in all of my posts lately!), but I remember when our children were little. I gave very little thought to what was around the corner. In other words, when they were 3, I wasn't even contemplating what would happen when they were in 1st grade.

But, let me tell you, the older you become, the more you start looking ahead. And, in my case, not just "looking" ... but seeking.

Please don't feel like you have to sugar coat this awful disease. If you can help, or even warn us of what's around the corner, there might be another Parkie who can offer advice as to how to combat it and/or live with it.

As I said above, sometimes I feel as if this site tends to exclude the older PD people. Please don't hide ... we NEED YOU!

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement