Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default DRX 9000 Spinal Decompression HELP!!!!

I have read all the stories on alot of different sites. My friend has a herinated L-4 and it is hitting the nerves to make the left side numb. She has a 4 and 1 year old at home I help at the house as much as I can. I have been researching until my brain can't hold any more information. Her insurance won't cover the procedure and it costs $4000.00. We are doing everthing we can to avoid surgery. My question is I need to find out what insurance covers this and what other methods can we do to help the symptoms not just the pain she really wants to get back to work. We need all the help we can get. If she goes any longer I am afraid that she will end up in a whell chair and won't be able to move her legs. ANY advice will help PLEASE any one out there with advice on this or can point me in the right direction would help.
charlemagne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 AM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Hi charliemagne~

It sounds like your friend needs surgery. I never heard of insurance that won't pay for decompression to be done. I don't know about this DRX 9000 Spinal Decompression. I ran it thru Google and it sounds like it isn't surgery. If it cost $4000 it should be. Maybe thats why insurance woudn't pay. I really never heard of it.

I have had the decompression surgery though. It does take time to heal and with small children it would be hard, I'm sure. Maybe she needs to see another surgeon and get a second opinion. Sorry I can't be of more help! Good Luck.

She who hides nothing, has nothing to hide~
Fancylady_2006 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:58 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Run, don't walk away from the DRX 9000 or any other number they are calling it this week. If the disk or disks are already herniated these treatments aren't going to cure that. This DRX is used by a number less than well meaning Chiro's. I doubt if you'll see this machine in the offices of any main stream docs. My opinion only as protected by the 1st amendment to the US Constitution.
stiffnecked is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have to disagree with Stiffnecked. My mother had great success on the DRX9000! She is very happy she didn't opt for surgury and its uncertain outcome and lengthy recovery (google failed back surgery syndrome!)
I recommend you contact a doctor in your area to actually see the DRX9000 table--ask if you can try it.

Last edited by Chemar; 11-01-2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: links to for profit sites removed
zany_face is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

We did everything you guys are talking about. I have gotten alot of different things off this website and researched everything. There are some options that are only outpatient and really sound like they will help in the long run. she has an appt. tomorrow with the PM dr so I will talk to him about the options we have and what route she wants to go. Thank you for the feed back.
charlemagne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I can help you avoid surery

First how did the accident happen or was there even an accident in the first place? Second how long has he had the pain? Third what is his height and weight of the patient? Fourth has the herination been confermed by MRI?

I can not say if the DRX 9000 will be effective if I do not know any of the above information but I can say seeing an Ostiopath who speciallizes in OMM is what you need to do first rather than seeing an MD.

Also in regards to traction or decompression therapy or whatever they are calling it these days if there is a perexisting muscle imbalance and can use traction and get adjusted till the cows come home and it will do nothing intil you fix the muscle imbalance. Though if you really have your heart set on traction you can get a product called "Invertac" for $300 which will do the exact same thing as the DRX 9000. Also if you do get a traction table I would say go with the Invertrac as if will not put stress on your knees which other tables do(I hurt my knee on one a few months back).

Good luck
,Mike
1MikeD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:21 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default drx9000

Yesterday I went to a chiropractor who uses that DRX9000 machine. When asked, he told me that only Kaiser and Blueshield (?) cover in part. Mine doesn't cover, so for a start (working on L5) the costs would be $260 per session. He estimated I needed 30 sessions. After those, I needed work done on the L4. He compared it with 'working out'. Going to the gym only once doesn't work, you need to go frequently and you have to maintain your condition by follow ups. In other words, even after multiple sessions ($$$$), you have to go back from time to time.

I'm still a little shaken up because of all the things he said about my back, and the costs involved that I have to distract from my family's budget, to get ALMOST pain free (he didn't guarantee 100%).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that he also works with supplements like fish oil and alkaline to strengthen the bones and to enhance the working of the DRX9000 (extra $$$).

Please tell your friend that he/she is not alone. Sciata is more common than even I thought it was.

By the way, I had surgery on the L5 3 years ago. Was pain free for 3 years until the central disk of the L5 started to bulge out. So surgery isn't the absolute solution either!

I became a member yesterday because I look for answers too. It's rather depressive to have pain 24/7 and no real solution at hand.
Pearl2000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:23 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sciatica Help

Hi Mike,

I will try the Invertac. I have disk bulging at L4-L5 and moderate disk protrusion at L5-S1 that contacts the S1 nerve root. I have mild to severe pain daily in my right leg. I used to compete in triathlons and exercise daily up until April of 2007. The pain became so great that I could no longer run. Then in August I snapped my back forward while trying to get up in water-skiing. Shallow lake and back fin dragged in the muck snapping my hips forward. Could barely walk for a week. I need any advice I can get. I am depserate and very depressed as my life has changed traumatically due to this injury.

Desperatly seeking the old me.
littlena is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote