Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 09:24 PM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default OFF TOPIC: United Kingdom...Hate those greens?....could be in your genes!

Finally a reason for why I hate greens...cooked ones that is!! I was going to add a couple of veggie graphics, but all the graphics I have are fruit. Well, duh, why would a veggie hater have greens in my graphics stock anyway...

Hate those greens?....could be in your genes!

Published: Wednesday, 24-Oct-2007
http://www.news-medical.net/?id=31623

Scientists in the UK are suggesting that food preferences may all be the result of a person's DNA.

A team from Kings College London reached this conclusion after comparing the eating habits of thousands of pairs of twins.

The researchers suggest that it is our genes rather than just our upbringing which possibly influences our food likes and dislikes.

Lead researcher Professor Tim Spector says identical twins have exactly the same genetic make-up as each other, so by comparing them to non-identical twins, it was possible to work out the likelihood that their characteristics are due to "nature" or "nurture".

It seems identical twins are far more likely to share the same dietary patterns such as a love of a particular food which suggests tastes may be inherited.

The researchers looked at a total of 3,262 identical female twins aged between 18 and 79, and worked out their broad preferences using five different dietary "groups"; these included diets heavy in fruit and vegetables, alcohol, fried meat and potatoes, and low-fat products or diets low in meat, fish and poultry.

Their results suggest that between 41% and 48% of a person love of one of the food groups was influenced by genetics.

Researchers at King's College London found that garlic lovers, coffee drinkers and fruit fanciers are likely to have inherited their tastes from their parents.

Professor Spector says it has always been assumed that our upbringing and social environment determine what we like to eat and the study has shown that in fact it is genetic make-up which influences dietary patterns.

The researchers say healthy eating campaigns, such as the British government's "five-a-day" fruit and vegetable initiative, might need a re-think in light of the findings, as people genetically "programmed" to eat less fruit and vegetables would be more resistant to health messages.

Experts say this in fact means that childhood food foibles might be harder to straighten out than previously thought.

Professor Spector says the findings could prove useful in the prevention of illness and disease because of the links between good health and diet.

The study is published in the journal Twin Research and Human Genetics.
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement