advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 10:28 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Abe Lieberman, MD...Goodbye and Hello

From the Office of the Chairman

It is with deep regret that I am announcing the departure of Dr. Abraham Lieberman as PRF’s Medical Director and “Ask the Doctor” moderator. Dr. Lieberman has taken a position as Medical Director of the Muhammad Ali Parkinson’s Disease Center in Phoenix, Arizona.

READ FULL ITEM

to Dr. Liberman. Wish him the best at the Ali Center!
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-25-2007, 02:38 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I just read that this morning, Carolyn. He's pretty world-reknowned for his work in Parkinson's. and he has written some wonderful books a bout PD - if I didn't know better, I'd think he had it because he can really explain the disease in a detailed way.

I think he'll do a good job.

Peggy
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:27 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Despite my railings at the medical profession..

Dr. Lieberman has my highest respect. For starters, he has treated more PWPs than anyone around (something like 65,000???) and has been at it for some forty years or so. That last number is significant in that he started before sinemet and has seen the advent of the agonists etc. He also has shown an open mind to alternative possibilities that is rare.

But above all is the man's compassion. So many of the folks who write to him are obviously older folks who are in sad shape. Even though he has answered the question they ask a dozen times already in his column, he is patient and as comforting as one can be online.

I think the reason is plain - as a child he contracted polio and spent a year and a half in a hospital learning to walk again. That's why he became a doctor. Sometimes tragedy works great good. May he live forever.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:39 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation Interesting

I spoke briefly with Lonnie Ali at the PDF 50th Symposium. When I told her I was from Phoenix (where the Muhammud Ali Cennter is located), she became animated and told me that "big changes were coming there."

I wonder if she meant the arrival of Dr. Lieberman?

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:10 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It's pretty amazing how Phoenix is being "put on the map" so to speak int he Parkinsons world. Big things like Sun Health joining with Banner Health-Sun Health has a leading Parkinson's research center, which is lead (I thnk) by Dr Holly Shill, who used to be at the Muhammad Ali PD Center. Dr Leiberman going there is big; it makes me wonder why. Has there been a huge increase in cases over the past few years in the southwest?
Either way, it's a great thing for the area.
EmptyNest68 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:01 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I think...

I think Dr. Lieberman used to practice at Barrow / the Muhammad Ali Center - years ago. I"m not sure though - or if this is so - don't know when that was....

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote