Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 10-31-2007, 10:18 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What are your side effects from DBS? I've noticed...

I am wondering what sort of side efects others have noticed from their DBS. One that I am becoming more aware of pertains to my driving. Yes, I know, I had DBS 3 weeks ago and I'm DRIVING! Well, I have noticed that my judgement is bad. Twice yesterday I pulled out in front of other vehicles and both my wife and I looked at each other and what the !@#$#@!! was I thinking. I plainly saw both vehicles yet for some reason and I cannot explain it I just went. I am a big believer in planning your route to avoid trafffic problems and using a light to exit parking lots, do not try to get out into traffic at a corner-use the light,etc. For example our favorite drug store is on a very busy corner. I make sure that I travel to the store using the light in front of it to allow me to turn directly into the parking lot. Then I go to the back of the parking lot where a simple right turn puts me onto the road home. However, today I went to the store and when leaving pulled out onto the frontage road, crossed the first two lanes and after braking just a second pulled out and went left almost in front of yet another vehicle- I woulda been creamed! I have NEVER used this route for obvious reasons! This may seem like just not thinking to you all but this is a severe lack of proper judgement for me. This is another one, you all will laugh at this one, I was at a store with my wife and we had some degree of cash on us for the item we were going to puchase. She said to me " Jim watchout for people coming up to you...." My response was "They'll have to be bigger than you are." Both of our jaws dropped as soon as the words left my mouth! You cannot imagine! I have felt somewhat "simple minded" at times. Yes, I am confident that these are all present since my DBS. My wife, yes she is still here agrees. Well, all I can say is stay tuned. Thanks for listening.
Jim091866 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-31-2007, 10:26 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Jim! How nice to hear you're driving again! It's a wonderful thing...

I don't have DBS, but you just happen to mention a topic that's been in the news this week- here's Carolyn's link from a few days ago:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=30819

Good Luck, and count to ten!
Heidi
Heidi L is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I stand corrected..

My wife reminded me why she said that remark to me... I was walking away from our truck with over $ 1,000.00 in cash in my hand! She wanted me to put it into my pocket or otherwise put it away. What she was doing letting me carry the money I don't know but I can assure you it won't happen again! LOL. So now does that sound like GOOD judgement to you? I know, I know not for either of us, right..
Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I stand corrected..

My wife reminded me why she said that remark to me... I was walking away from our truck with over $1,000.00 in cash in my hand! She wanted me to put it into my pocket or otherwise put it away. What she was doing letting me carry the money I don't know but I can assure you it won't happen again! LOL. So now does that sound like GOOD judgement to you? I know, I know not for either of us, right..
Old 10-31-2007, 11:55 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Jim,

I had DBS in April and was programmed on 5/4 one month after the surgery. Memorial Day weekend I had a serious meltdown. I could not stand, was very dyskenetic, could not even speak. Went back and was reprogrammed and I've been fine since. The MDs tell me that it takes a year for the brain to settle after DBS and that I will need to return periodically for programming. I've been back twice since then and will go back again in the near future.

Good luck,
MKane
MKane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote