Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 10-31-2007, 10:27 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Wellbutrin: Any comments from those who use it?

My doctor wants me to try Wellbutrin in addition to the Sinemet I'm already taking. I understand it is a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. The idea is that it should smooth out the ups and downs I've been experiencing. It's also supposed to help with fatigue.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions from anyone who is taking or has taken Wellbutrin about how well it worked for you.
K.Ibsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-01-2007, 12:17 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have taken Welbutrin for three years, and the controlled release form for about 18 months. I have taken antidepressants for going on 16 years, and I have found it to be "one of the good ones"; gentle, dependable, no problems with drowsiness or sleeping at night.
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:56 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default symptomatic effect - yes

my neuro told me studies had been done and found that wellbutrin had no impact on pd symptoms, and eventually, because i was going to try rasagiline, she put her foot down and commanded me to go down from 450mg/day to 300mg/day (she had been trying to get me to go down for some time - "why," i asked, "because 450 is a lot," she would say,"yeah, and?" i would say, "no adverse effects, doing fine, staying at 450.")

so i went down to 300 and my symptoms tanked. brand new pair of really nice shoes looked like the toes had been stuck into a shredder within a month. i could barely type most days. ended up not trying the rasagiline and eventually going back to 450, et voila, typing was good again most days, walking was vastly improved.... am hitting some kind of rough spot at the moment but overall, the wellbutrin mirapex combo has worked well for me.

oh and controlled release version seemed to make my thinking muddy - i take the original formulation.

Last edited by boann; 11-01-2007 at 01:57 AM. Reason: added a bit
boann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Wellbutrin should help PD becuase it is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor--that is, if there's enough dopamine available to begin with. I think the hope is that the combination of Sinemet and Wellbutrin may provide enough stability to get me through the work day.

Sinemet does a lot for my motor symptoms--but it fluctuates a lot. I think the doctors are hoping that the Wellbutrin will help me with my thinking. I'm trying to rehabilitate to my work in writing software but have been really challenged when it comes to deep thinking. I can sure feel the difference as the dopamine levels fluctuate. It's amazing.

Karl
Old 11-01-2007, 06:43 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Wellbutrin & PD

I've found Wellbutrin to be the most effective of many antidepressants. In addition, it was the ONLY one that seemed to have a mild positive effect on my PD symptoms. We're all different with different reactions to med's, but I highly recommend giving it a try.
I hope this helps. Good luck,
Keith
kk13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:34 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default one would think

Hi ken

regarding wellbutrin being a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, exactly - one would think it would have a symptomatic effect on PD. But my neurologist made a point of telling me that theory was not supported by research. i think she said something about there being two different dopamine stomping grounds in the brain - one was involved in movement but the other was busy with other things (not sure what). her theory, if i remember this correctly, was that wellbutrin's action was centered in the non-movement-related stomping ground.

haven't looked any studies up myself, but my experience is that it definitely has a symptomatic effect.
boann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:08 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the helpful responses! Based on your input, I think I'll go ahead and try it. I've become very suspicious of antidepressants because I've tried so many and had so little benefit. I never have felt very depressed. I'm hoping this will help with the PD symptoms. It seems like it should and it sounds like might.

The doctor gave me two-weeks worth of 150 mg extended release samples, but didn't give me any instructions about when would be the best time of day to take it. Because I have trouble getting to sleep at night, I'm thinking of taking them in the morning. Does this sound right?

Would it be better to start them on the weekend? Say, Saturday morning, to give me some time to adjust before I go back to work.

Karl