Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I) and Causalgia (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)(RSD and CRPS)

advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 07:27 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default whats up everybody

just wanted to do a little shout out to all
i hope all those who are finding comfort in their current care are doing well, and all those who are struggling for answers soon find some.
ali-congrats on the school thing...i know it is hard to go back especially after a long absence and show up in a chair, hang in there, people will stop asking lame questions, you will find a comfortable rhythm, and the boys just keep showing up and sooner or later they will move onto something more pressing...if not just roll right over their toes and when they whine offer them the use of your chair when you are done with it.
anyway all just wanted to say hello...it is currently week 3 of a non-sleep session for me (2 sleep studies..."funny thing is you just never actually dosed off so we have no sleep related data"...ya think...thank you very much i am sure my insurance will fight the bill...next). on a possitive i am having a block tomorrow and my doc has assured me that no ride will be neccesary until the close of business because i will be sleeping...we shall see, she tries but sometimes i am up a couple of hours bored to death and threatening to call a taxi and go awol.
i hope this finds all of you on a pain free morning
Strong mind Strong body
wakegirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-06-2007, 09:59 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Hi Wakegirl,

I had 2 sleep studies and I never got into the the sleep pattern they wanted me to. Part of mine was from the VNS implant but I just don't get any sleep. I am awake at least 60% of the night and have been that way for the whole time I have had the RSD.

As far as the block, I do hope it works for you. I do think they are so important for trying to get the RSD into remission. My thing is ask them to try different meds as Desi is doing or find a good Anesteologist to do them if you have a PM doing them at this point. The Anesteologist seem to know more about doing them right then the PM Drs. I have seen people use around my area here.

I have been so tired here lately. I ran all day yesterday. I bought another vehicle Sat. and I am dealing with my insurance problem. I finally got both done but I left my house 5 times yesterday to take care of business and I thought I might sleep some last night. I never slept at all. I don't know what a person has to do to get any sleep with the RSD. Pills don't even do it for me.

Have a good day girl and let us know how that block does.

Ada

Last edited by dreambeliever128; 11-07-2007 at 08:20 AM.
dreambeliever128 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

[QUOTE=dreambeliever128;164771].

The Anesteologist seem to know more about doing them right then the PM Drs.

Hi Ada,

Here in Australia many of our Pain management doctors are anaesthetists, in fact all those I have seen have been. This is a wonderful bonus as far as I am concerned as they have a very sound knowledge of nerve pathways and plexuses for blocking, they usually have good cannulation skills too.

Cheers Tayla
tayla4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Tayla, Our doctors of anesthesia are also the ones that work in the pain clinic. They are usually pretty well versed in many areas. I find ours to be very versatile also. I am in northern Michigan.
Judy
heyjude5050 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 AM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Hi Tayla,

We have both here. PMD's and Anesteolgist. The Anesteologist I see is only that. He has a small hospital of his own that he goes to after leaving the hospital and does the blocks.

We have PM Drs here in my area that won't even do blocks on RSD patients. The ones in U of Co. never offered me blocks. I saw 3 more that never did.

We do have both here though and they are different. In the group I had belonged to, none of them had even had a block. I had by that time and talked a couple in to having them done.

I have a friend who went to see this one idiot PM Dr. that I saw and has a bad rep. around here. In one month, he diagnosed her with RSD, did one block to see if it would work and stuck the SCS in her. She is now having it taken out. I think the PM Drs. are doing blocks now but the ones we have in our area, I have not seen a lot of good come from.

Ada

Ada
dreambeliever128 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Ada,
It is the same here with the doctors. There are some Pain Docs that are anesthesiologists and do their own procedures, and there are some that are not. I have had both types of doctors. My very first PM was an anesthesiologist (and still did that work up at the hospital he was affiliated with...although I think that he has stopped that now and strictly does Pain Stuff), and so was the one that I just had (who moved away. *sniff). My new one, however, is not. There are 3 MD’s in my new Pain Clinic, and 2 main Psych docs (one that founded the clinic). None of the MD’s do their own procedures.....they are all farmed out to other docs. My Procedure doc is at a totally different hospital than the one where my PM doc is. This is something that is new for me....but it seems to be working OK so far (I have only had one procedure done since starting at this clinic this Summer...but I will have some others done soon, either right before ot right after Christmas).

I was prety concerned about having this “new” (for me) set up with different docs doing different things. But, from what I was given to understand by several people I have corresponded with, this is pretty much the “norm” in pain management. The Anesthesiologists that do the procedures that other docs send to them, are also “Pain Doctors”....and I guess that they do help to Manage the pain....but not like the PM’s that we see every month or whatever, for out regular care.

I have to say, that I do like the set up that I have had previously, because I have some trust issues when it comes to docs poking and prodding me. I really like my new PM Doc...and wish that he was able to do my procedures. I also liked my Procedure doc, as he seemed to be a really nice guy....but I don’t “KNOW” him. Haven’t been able to get a good doc/patient relationship with him, from having only seen him once. If that makes any sense? I liked having a doc that was handling both my regular treatment, and my procedure treatments....because I knew him better.

Anyway...I really just wanted to say that we have the same type of thing here, too. Not all PM’s are anesthesiologists....some are regular MD’s that have learned about Pain, and how to manage it.

Love and
Jose

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." ~Albus Dumbledore
Joselita is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote