Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Can I use two computers with my dsl line?

Hello.

My husband never gets off the computer. I'm lucky I can get here and post this question. So here's my dilemma.

I have Verizon Dsl. I have one computer. I once read where you can use two computers on one DSL Line.

So if this is true and someone lends me a laptop (god willing, some day), do I just plug the laptop into one of the phone jacks in my house (no filter, right?) then will I be able to go online (if I install the Verizon software on the laptop). And how do I do this. I think I might still have the Verizon dvd thing when I got the modem.

Does a laptop have it's own modem??

I am completely clueless as to how a lap top gets to go online. I know it has something to do with Wi-fi (I even know that this means wireless fidelity) but I have no idea what THIS means.

But that's not the issue. The issue is "Can I do this without any extra cost?"

So can I get a laptop and go on the internet using my verizon account? How can I do this, and is it free?

Thanks so much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-10-2007, 10:44 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Mel ,
You would need to get a router and a second cable for the second computer.
you would connect the DSL modem to the router and then plug in the 2 computers to the router.

The router is what separates out the "communication" from each computer and sends it where it needs to go.

If you just plugged into a phone line the communications would just get all jumbled together. Probably like a busy line signal.

Or you could go wireless too, but then would need wireless router and wireless cards inside the computers.

but if you have the room for the computers to be close to each other and to the dsl modem, a "wired" cable conncetion is easier.
Usually just plug it in and use it.

here's a site with tips and pictures about routers and set up
http://www.onlinecomputertips.com/ne...ng/router.html
Old 11-11-2007, 10:54 AM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Jo:

Let's see if I got this straight.

I get a laptop. I get a router, I plug the router into my dsl modem. (you said it needs another cable, what kind of cable are you referring to? an ethernet thing?? or something else).

Then I have the router plugged into the dsl modem, I take the two cables, put one cable into one computer, and the other cable into the laptop. Did I get this right.

And yes, I could put the laptop into the same room as the computer (but what if I wanted to bring the laptop into my bedroom, do I just get a longer cable??)

So I gather, I'm not going wireless, so I don't have to subscribe to anything else, so this is no additional cost, right??

So when all is said and done, I would have a laptop, and my computer, attached via a router, to the dsl modem, I now have.

Did I get this right?? Oh this is so exciting. NOt that I can go out and buy a laptop, but I would just like to know that I had the option.

Oh, I must tell you something.

I recently posted a question, on a Directv forum, and the question was on connections and multi-switches, etc. etc.

As I posted my question, I happened to mention that I was 60 years old, computer savvy but not to sure about multi-switches.

Well, one guy said this as a response to meYou will not believe what he wrote).

He wrote: "you could never be a 60 year old person because 60 year people do not have computers, 60 year people do not go on the internet, so obviously you must be a troll.".

I wanted to bash him over his stupid head. I responded "Oh really, well I'll have you know that 25 years ago, while I was an administrative assistant, my company chose me out of 250 employees to go to IBM school and begin training on the first computers. AND I'VE BEEN USING THEM EVER SINCE.

Everybody else on that forum jumped on him and yelled at him for being so rude.

I told him to watch his stupid mouth.

I mean, really!!!!

Thanks Jo.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 11-11-2007, 11:07 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default go wireless

I wouldnt even think of trying to gt a cat5 cable long enough to run around the house with your laptop.

Did you already purchase the laptop? Most new ones come already wireless ready, if not there is a neat little gadget that plugs into a usb port making your computer wireless capable.

http://www.acorncomputers.com/networ...ter_100877.asp

A linksys wireless router is between 40 and 50 bucks, and well worth the money. I have 3 computers in my house and 2 are wireless. It is soooo much nicer to not worry about how to string the cat5 cable to connect to the internet.

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/link...-30825185.html

I hope this helps ya decide how to go

Gone Squatchin
allentgamer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:47 PM #5
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi Allen:

Do you have to pay extra to have the wireless stuff on the laptops?

You have 3 computers in your house. Are they all off of the same modem? Do you have to pay extra for any service?

I was under the impression that when one gets a laptop (that has wireless software already loaded), that you have to subscribe to a server (or subscribe to something??). Kind of like having a cell phone.

Am I incorrect. And no, we don't have a laptop, I'm just asking the question because if I ever am in the financial position to get a laptop, I have no idea how to use it, how to hook it up, or if I have to pay an extra monthly fee to use it.

See where I'm confused.

You have to speak to me like I just graduated the first grade (in computers I mean). Even though I went to IBM school all those years ago, and even though I know how to use a computer, I don't know anything about connecting laptops, wireless routers, extra fees, Wi-fi, all that stuff.

I am at a loss.
Thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 11-11-2007, 04:09 PM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb If you buy a new laptop for Xmas....

and I have seen some as low as $350....
You will have wireless in it already.

We have a laptop with wireless, and it connects to this desktop which has
DSL (AT&T) thru a wireless router that sits on my desk here.

The router you can get for $40 or less thru Tiger Direct or any other discount
place online.

No you don't have to buy any service with a new laptop, but they will have software on it perhaps, like AOL or something else.

You connect your wireless router to your DSL box, and there you go. You have to load the DSL software onto your new laptop. But you can use it from anywhere in your apartment. I don't know about security where you are in NY, but here, the Microsoft is adequate. Other higher densities may require a separate firewall. The security is a bigger issue, IMO than the set up. It is necessary to think that out first.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:06 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default mrsd is right on the money

You wont have to worry about the laptop, it will be wireless ready when ever you decide to purchase. There is no other fees to pay at all, just buy the wireless router and set it up.

The router will be able to connect up to 4 computers wired, and as many as you want wireless from one internet connection. Just plug the wire from the modem to the router, then from the router to your desk top pc. The security is important! You dont want people coming along and downloading from the internet off of your internet connection. The installation is very simple and straight forward, and you should be able to set it up in a few minutes.

You will enjoy being able to connect to the net from anywhere in your house with the laptop, and also when traveling. Most motel/hotels, fast food, starbucks etc have a wireless connection for its customers.

Gone Squatchin
Old 11-11-2007, 05:58 PM #8
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I completely forgot that wireless routers had the cable plug access too - I had to go look at mine. I never even noticed it!

But yep, you can use the wireless router both ways - so you'll be all set when you get a laptop.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:44 PM #9
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Thanks to all of you. Now I have to go and read all the posts over again, so I can understand everything you all posted.

Allen, that bug you have crawling all over your avatar gave me the heebie jeebies, I thought I had a roach on my screen. lol

We're not in a position to buy any laptops in the foreseable future. I just want to know what to do in case we get one some day.

Alan is having so much fun on the computer I rarely get a chance to use it. God, he's like a kid in a candy store. We don't download any movies, but there's so much stuff to view on the internet that he's having a ball.

I have seen sci fi shows from 30 years ago.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 11-13-2007, 01:22 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Shocked my pc is bugged!

Hi melody

It is good to hear he is having sooo much fun. I too watch all the old TV shows LOL. Yesterday I took in all the old superman serial tv shows with george reeves, amazing how much different tv is now

Sorry about the bug , I guess im just gonna have to break out that can of RAID!

You will really enjoy the portability of a laptop, and the prices are really low right now as the technology is increasing here lately at light speed. You can get a duo core (2 processors in one) processor, and memory out the whazoo for under $500.

I was pricing out parts to build an ultimate desktop dream, and realized that I could purchase a quad core (4 processors in one), 2 gigs of memory, and all the buzzers and whistles for less than I could build one.

And Dell is selling a real nice laptop with duo core processing, a gig of memory for $499. These things were selling for $1500 only a few months ago.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

It is a good time to upgrade those old computers

Gone Squatchin

Last edited by allentgamer; 11-13-2007 at 01:31 PM. Reason: add some links