Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 11-15-2007, 08:49 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Return To Work

Hello Everyone; I'll just jump right in here
I am going to attemp a return to work soon, and when I get that interview I know some questions will be asked such as;
What was your last job? Why are you not working there any longer?
The date of my last job ect....

I have been out of the work force for 3 years, although I don't like to lie I feel that if I told the prespective employer that I had a trade I loved and am no longer able to do it because of a work place injury they would run the other way. I feel that not saying anything is also like a lie. How does one handle this and still feel like you doing the right thing?

How does one explain why they have been out of the work force for 3 years?

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in response for your comments,
Hairdresser
hairdresser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation

Thank you very much for asking this question.

I have wondered myself about this. I have been out of the workforce for over 4 years and i'm concerned of what i will say to prospective employers when i finally get out there. I also don't want to lie about my situation, but i want to get hired too. That being said, i think that what i would say is "i was out of work because of a medical condition, but i feel that i'm better now and more than ready to get back to work. I'm still under my doctors care and he agrees that i'm ready to get back to work".

I don't know what to say after that. I hope someone else have a good idea.

Very good question...

Have a Pain Free Weekend!!!

L8r...

Judy

SocalShopGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:20 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I think you could also validly say that you felt you needed a change so you went back to school...truthful yet you are not disclosing why.

You could also have been "caring for a sick family member" (you are obviously a member of your own family) adn now that person no longer needs as much of your attention so you are free to return to work.

You are not required to disclose any personal information about yourself, your family or anything else. (like are you married, have kids, etc) An employer may NOT discriminate due to disabilities, either, and you are not required to disclose these things unless it affects your ability to perform certain job functions, i would think (obviously, we could not get hired to unload grocery trucks, for instance, if "lifting boxes up to 50 lbs" was one of the job requirements.

i had not thought about this too much yet, myself. Good question to bring up, thanks!!

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:58 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up Some Advice

Hi All...

Finally something I can answer with certainty!!!
I have been in your position, and I also work in Human Resources. I can tell you that you should NOT disclose that you had an injury. Say you went back to school or was home with kids..etc....but do not talk about work related injury.
I tried for over a year to find a job and no one would hire me because I was being honest. I talked about this with numerous HR professionals that said the same thing....do not disclose your injury. I decided to use that advice when I applied for the job I am doing now. I didn't disclose, got the job and felt like crap cause I felt like I was lying. What I did do, was slowly talk about my injury until it was all out. Now, everyone knows, I have my job and no one can say anything because legally they can not ask, or fire you because of it.
Just my thoughts and opinion...

Good luck with your job search.
Rach
Rachael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:46 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi,

What a fantastic question. I have thought about this often. In Australia we are usually asked at the interview and sometimes in a question/answer sheet before hand, if we have ever had a work place injury. If you say yes, 99% of the time you will not get the job and if you say no and they find out later that you have, you can be sacked.

If you TOS is not workers comp related, I wouldnt tell them you have it, thats your business. I would say you have been caring for either your kids or a family member. If you are changing you occupation you could tell them that you just need a change of pace and would like to try something different.

I honestly cant see myself getting a job again, i know it sounds sad but who is going to employ someone that has been off for 2 years? I have been healthquested (sent to a Government health Dr) and told that currently I can work 6 hours per week over 3 x 2 hour days, with no office work or working too much with my arms and a 10 minute break every 30 mins????? I could just imagine going for a job interview with that information.

Good luck and I hope you find a nice, reasonable employer.

Ozzy
ozzy14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:25 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would LOVE to have the ability to even think about doing a job without the pain and swelling.

I WANNA GO BACK TO WORK SO BAD
olecyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:08 AM #7
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Me thinking. Got to have a really good answer for this one.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:11 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default If it were me

Hairdresser,

I would just say you had some health issues come up that you had to take care of.

They won't have any idea what that is and most likley, won't ask.

You are being honest, and health problems can happen to anyone.

If the employer is a good hearted person, they will see past that and see what you have to offer.

Just my opinon!

Peg24 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:01 AM #9
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

And I would add that the problems have been properly dealt with by the doctors, and family, and that they are now resolved, and you are MORE than ready to dive back into life and get back to YOUR career path, (this implies that maybe it wasn't you?) and that you're eager, excited, full of energy and ready, ready and ready!

Plant a BIG SMILE on your face, have a great updated resume and some great references and just GO FOR IT.

For my first law job, I had to issue 225 resumes and specialized cover letters and I got only 2 interviews, but landed the ONE job. Three years later, it took 175 resumes and specialized cover letters and again, only 2 interviews but I got the one job.

Every job paid me higher, whether I was laid off or quit.

And, by year TEN in my career, the jobs sought me out, not the other way around!

So don't give up, get discouraged, or let 'em stop you. It's YOU against the rest of the world, and YOU are worth it!! YOU have value! YOU are unique!

These things are absolutely true.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:12 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello everyone and thanks for your imput. Rachael your idea is good, let them know slowly.
hairdresser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote