Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I) and Causalgia (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)(RSD and CRPS)

advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 11:38 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Thumbs down Hurt my knee

Hi there - it's Alison here.
Thanks for all your replies so far.
My knee gave way yesterday whilst I was getting dressed, I am now noticing a lot of pain in my knee and it is going red. I am unable to move it. I keep touching it so that it does not go hypersensitive.
I was just wondering whether any of you have any suggestions of what to do. The pain in my knee is a 4 on the pain scale whilst my foot is a 9 and a half.
Your advice is really appriciated
Many thanks
Alison

advertisement
Old 11-16-2007, 05:31 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Ali!
So sorry to hear about your knee giving way! Ali, I know this may sound cruel, but please try and move your knee as much as possible. slowly at first. If you let it go, it could turn into "A really bad stiff knee". I do hope that things go better for you. Seems like your having one thing after another, sweetie. Hang in there! ~Love ya! Desi
Desi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:27 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Shocked gently bud

Aww thats nasty Ali..
I think that Desi's advice is very good, and so is the fact that you are touching it lots.. some folke say that massageing it can help the blood flow but be gentle and keep moving it too and it may settle down soon.

Like your arm any place you injure can become effected but it's not bad like your origional RSD site later it should settle down.. Are you elevating those legs Ali? It will help with the swelling.

I drink this tea called rooibos tea.. it is way high in antioxadents and is naturaly decafinated with no tannin so there is no bitterness you see in some tea. I drink it hot or cold like ice tea. it is naturaly a little sweet and it is red.

I just love it.. and in the 2 months since drinking it my swelling has gone way down in that time.. my feet almost look normal again, and I can bend my knees again cause the swellings gone down so much.

Anyway I am rambling again take it easy hon and do like Desi says keep it mobie.

((((Big soft hugs Ali))))
Sandel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:07 PM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

What part did you hit -the front part, kneecap area?
the bony part or the soft part?

why can't you move it?
because of the swelling or because of pain?
or is it a locked up feeling?
and you're certain nothing got broken?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:06 AM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Jo 55
In response to your questions
I didn't hit or fall on my knee - it just sort of gave out on me as I was getting out if the bath.
It did swell slightly straight afterwards in the area just below the kneecap and was immediately painful and red in that are which doesn't seem to have subsided much
I do keep trying to keep it moving but this is difficult as the knee has been stiff and immobile basically since the dystonia in my foot set in. It hasn't locked up completely but we had been working in PT on bending the knee and were making good progress but this has now set things back to how there was
Basically because of the rotation in my ankle, the knee and hip have also rotated outwards so PTs have been concentrating at working from the hip downwards to try and get some normal posture back
When it first happened I could see violent pulsating spasms through the knee though these have calmed down a little now - it was almost as though I had a heart beating in my knee
Hope this helps
Old 11-17-2007, 06:52 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

How's it going now Ali? I'm really sorry to read about your knee. You seem to know what to do in regards to the RSD aspect of things. What did your physiotherapist or your mom say? Did you see a doctor about it since it gave out? I really hope things don't get worse for you. You have certainly been through enough!

I would think that your muscles and everything just aren't used to too much. Work it slowly but keep it moving, like you know to do. If you think the swelling is related to the fall and your mom thinks it worthwhile, not to risk further injury to the nerves in your leg, to put a bit of ice near the swelling and rest with elevation. It should calm down in a day or so. If it doesn't I would really start to look at it from an RSD point of view and ask the physiotherapist about it.

Try to look up. Talk to you soon. TC J
Kyzyl363 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:15 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default ice is very bad for RSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyzyl363 View Post
If you think the swelling is related to the fall and your mom thinks it worthwhile, not to risk further injury to the nerves in your leg, to put a bit of ice near the swelling and rest with elevation. It should calm down in a day or so. If it doesn't I would really start to look at it from an RSD point of view and ask the physiotherapist about it.

Try to look up. Talk to you soon. TC J
OHH no.. no no.. do NOT use ice.. it will make the RSD worse stay away from ice please!
Sandel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:02 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ali,

I'm so sorry you hurt your knee. If it keeps hurting you may want to have the doc check it out. Keep it elevated and rest it. I hope it gets to feel better.

Gentle Hugs
Mary
Old 11-18-2007, 12:45 PM #9
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart My knee

Hi there,
Many thanks for all your replies.
My moms told me to keep elavating my knee and to keep touching it. She is going to ring my Physiotherapist tomorrow. It is still really painful (It is a 4 on the pain scale), it feels like I have a heart beat in it and it is swollen and bruised a bit, but not too much (its the same as what it was when it first gave way on me) I am not going to try icing it in case it makes things worse. I just feel like nothing is going my way. Is putting a splint on it worth while?
I will keep you all posted, I really hope that it isn't RSD.
Many thanks
Alison
_x_
PS: Take care and thanks again
Old 11-18-2007, 08:34 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Heh Ali. Again I am sorry to hear about your knee. I hope you didn't misunderstand my message earlier about the ice. I simply meant that if you have any new swelling and your mom thought it worthwhile to reduce the new swelling without risking further damage to the nerves to put some ice in a towel and put it on the area of swelling for a short period of time. If it is related to the new injury and isn't nerve-related swelling ice is still a good thing but ONLY if it won't affect your nerves. Yes, ice on nerves is a bad thing and does cause permanent long term damage. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. It does sound like there is new swelling due to the bruising but yes, I would wait to talk to a doctor about that and then you will know for future reference what to do. That would be the smart thing.

Really sorry to hear about this. We are all here for you as you have been here for us. Thanks and take care. Let us know what happens tomorrow. TTL J
Kyzyl363 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote