Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I) and Causalgia (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)(RSD and CRPS)

advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile TEC soon - at Childrens Hospital

I'm excited to say Ashton has been accepted to do another TEC but this time at Children's in TX with PT and Psych in house. I'm really nervous about her doing this as she will have to be in the hospital 14 to 21 days and work really hard to regain more mobility - this is really the last treatment option available at this point with her being 18. Children's is making an exception to treat her with her being 18 - 19 is the positive cut off for admit to hospital for them. I saw the video uplinked a few days ago meant for Ali and other young ones, and we will be doing something similar to that young lady but with a TEC. Anyone have thoughts on this? We did a TEC a little over a month ago and it gave her great opportunity to regain mobility and strength but she has reached a point of no more improvement and pain strengthening again - I'm hoping this one will do the trick or at least get her more weight bareing and able to walk around without the crutches and/or walker so she can go back to school, etc. I would love to hear if you have any experience with a TEC and aggreesive PT in hospital. I need relief for her and this is the last ditch effort - so to speak - realizing we will have to continue working after released too. Thanks ahead of time for your insight. I really appreciate all that I am able to learn from you and talk to our Drs. because of the experiences you all have.
Andrea
PS - Ali - I'm so hoping you can get to a place like this!
andreagibson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-17-2007, 01:49 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi there,

That is wonderful news for Ashton. Let's hope this holds the key for her.
The time will go so quickly Andrea, she will be so busy.
Heaps of luck, please keep us in touch
Love Tayla
tayla4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:58 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart Hi Andrea,

It's Alison here
That is great news - I am really happy for you all and I hope that Ashton is a bit better ((hugs))
I am sure that she will get better, send her my love. It's nice talking to you. I am hoping to start a course like your Ashton is doing if I can get a referal, I just don't feel happy at my hospital, I am making no progress and the Physiotherapists talk to me like I'm 3 not 12.
If Ashton looks like she is in a huge amount of pain during the course let her have a break for 10 minutes or so whilst the pain goes down. She WILL get tiered and it WILL be painful but encourage her to try and continue doing the PT if she can. When does Ashton start the TEC?
Send her my love
And take care yourself, Andrea
Love
Alison
P.S: If you need anything you have my moms email address she will be happy to talk to you, she says it is nice talking to a mom who knows what we are going through.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:53 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Basically, that's what I did, and it worked quite well for me. I was 17 at the time, and eight years later, I'm still unbelievably better. As I've probably told you, I still have constant mild pain and movement disorder and occasional bad flare-ups. It's unpleasant, but doesn't stop me from living my life. The TEC/intensive PT combo wasn't a cure, but my quality of life improved immensely. I hope that Ashton gets even better (and just as permanent) results.

-Betsy
betsyherm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote