Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I) and Causalgia (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)(RSD and CRPS)

advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Oh nooooooooooooo.....

Hi all! Well, I thought I was in remission from the 2nd. SGB I had on Nov. 1st. I am hurting so bad. For the last two days, I have been cleaning, lifting, carrying, and moving stuff around. I woke up this morning in so much pain!! It is all on my RSD side.. my wrist, hand, arm and shoulder are hurting so bad, I can't stand it!! Here, since I had that 2nd, SGB block, I thought I was probably going into remission?? I am not so sure now, the pain is back!! It hurts even to type. Do you think that this will go away if I rest it? do you think I am not into remission since it doesn't hurt on my left side? I am so confused?? well, that is it. ~Love to all~Desi
Desi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-18-2007, 08:22 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Desi. Sorry to hear about your situation. I haven't been in your situation but I have be given something to knock me out and reduce my pain for a couple of days only to have it come back full force at me. I have also been reading some other sites postings and it does seem to be a common occurance that when the pain does come back between blocks it appears to be more intensified. There is another woman on another site going through the same thing as you. She was waiting for her third block, seemed fine, but the there ended up being a delay and her pain came back with a vengence, as she says. There are many other stories of people going through these kinds of things. It is unfortunate that the pain came back so quickly and harshly. Buck up. The third may work for a longer duration. Sometimes they do. I wish I could tell you more about this but I haven't even had a doctor that knows about any of this yet. I am still waiting for someone to put it on paper that I have RSD in other areas of my body....It seems like the waiting game and the stress of ongoing pain is the routine we all are subjected to.

I hope your pain subsides. Take a Milk of Magnesia or Epsom salt bath and try to relax a little. You may have over done things a bit and made things flair up some. My prayers are with you in hopes your pain subsides and can go into remission with the next block. Until then, take it easy. TTL J
Kyzyl363 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:35 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Aw Hon,
I'm so sorry you are hurting so much. It could be that you just over did it some. You know how when you haven't moved around alot, and then you do, that you end up hurting more, because the muscles are all so weak. Maybe this has happened. If not, when can you get in for another block? Maybe if you can get in soon, it will ease up on the pain. You should just crawl into bed, take some pain meds, and try not to worry about what happened. Do some deep breathing and think good thoughts.

Hugs
Mary
Old 11-19-2007, 01:12 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you ladies so much for your replies back to me. Kyzyl, I haven't had this pain since the 1st of Nov. when I got my 2nd. Stellate Ganglion nerve block done. As soon As I started cleaning like a mad woman, The pain is back!! Thanks for the tip on taking epsome salts. I did do that, took a pain pill and hopefully it will "kick in" soon. Thanks again! ~Love, Desi

Hi Mary, Over done it is so "Right on" my friend!! My husband got pretty well mad at me, and I said what do you care, you didn't help!! I regretted the words I said to him as soon as I said them, told him I was sorry and he said, that's ok.. are you gonna be alright to cook for everyone on Thanksgiving? OMG I then went off on him, like you wouldn't believe! I told him that I am buying frozen turkey dinners for the family!! LOL LOL He said he was sorry and offered to help out on Thanksgiving. ya, to taste the samples.. LOL He does help out a lot with our little Daughter though. I am having my two son's over, their girlfriend, Daughter- in law and my three grand kids. wow!! I need to really rest up. I'm glad my daughter only has 2 days of school this week. I hate getting up at 6:45 every morning. My husband gets up with her a lot too. I can't sleep tonight, so I will indeed try the deep breathing you mentioned, Mary!! Thanks sweetie!! ~Love ya!~Desi
Old 11-19-2007, 01:58 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've gone through periods when I feel like I've gone into remission ten times a day. I've had periods as long as four or five days that are mostly pain free. I'll still have the other symptoms and have to take the medication but it feels gone. The first couple years my hand would occasionally feel so good and so strong that it couldn't be hurt with a hammer. This is a strange condition and for me the best way to get a handle is to find the triggers and avoid them. They are in a state of flux so they can be hard to stay on top of. It seems like keeping the medication the same and trying to avoid stress are best.

Don't give up. If this remission is new for you then you may be able to reachieve it and get some permanence. My biggest trigger has always been use of the hand. It wants to work and do things but I have to know its limitations. I get clues and try to not overdo it. One doc told me that even if I ever achieve remission there is a much greater chance that the disease will come back if there's another injury.

It's always seemed that if I can get enough movement and get rid of the pain long enough that there might be a real remission for me rather than whatever is happening.

Good luck.
Imahotep is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:24 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dear Desi,

You have really overdone it a bit. Please don't lose hope just yet that you will not get a remission.
Take it easy for a few days because all those muscles, joints and bits and pieces which are hurting probably haven't been used for quite awhile.
Can you see if you can bring about an early 3rd SGB? This might nip it in the bud!
Thinking of you and sending lots of luck
Tayla
tayla4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:06 AM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart Desi,

Its Alison here,
I am feel so sorry for you ((hugs)), yes, do rest it might take the pain away a bit. Maybe you should ring your PM doctor too to see what he says. He might want to se you or he might be able to give you advice on what to do.
Is it cold where you live? I have read that cold weather can cause the RSD to flair up again. It is cold here where I live in England and it's caused my pain to go up a lot (the pain used to be a 7 on the pain scale and now it is a 9 and a half)
Take care and let us know how you are
Love
Pain free hugs
Alisom
-x-
Old 11-19-2007, 08:56 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you so much Imahotep! I have been pain free since the 18th. of Nov. I had my 2nd. SGB on the 1st. Of Nov. Now, tha darn pain is back, just because I over worked it!!?? what the?? Like I said, there is no pain.. NONE on my left side, all on my RSD side! I have had no stress, just the 2 days of lifting, carrying, vacuming, dusting, up and down the stairs, sorting out tons of clothes, toys to give to Amvets. So why oh why this?? I had no pain what so ever when doing all this, then the next morninng, I awake to a scale 10+ pain. I took my Neurontion, my pain med. and elevated it, and still... PAIN with a capital PAIN IN THE ****!! LOL This sure taught me a HUGE lesson!! thanks again for your reply back to me, Imahotep! ~Love, Desi

Hi ya sweet Ali!! You sure are a "Ray Of Sunshine" around here. Thank you for that, sweet one!! I will take your advice and ring my PMD and see what he says. That man is always booked a lot!! maybe he can advise me on what to do in the meantime. And I am cooking a 23 pound turkey for my family!! Yikes!! LOL
Oh my yes, Ali.. it is veryyyyyyyyy cold here in Ohio!! Your right, it could be the weather also!! Thank you, as usual for your sound advice. That means a lot Ali! I love ya!!~Love, Desi
Old 11-20-2007, 01:20 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Heat pad! My heat pad is my salvation when I flare up. Nights are always a lot worse for me, and when the weather turns cold (well, as cold as it gets here in SoCal ) my heat pad is my best friend. Pain meds, peppermint tea to help the tummy and my heat pad. I swear to you- you will love it.

Hope this helps! Relax and breathe! Stressing over the pain sets up a vicious circle of stress and increased pain.

Linnie
Lynns409 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Linnie!
Duh! now why didn't I think of my former best friend when I was going through this RSD like crazy before?? I am going to use my heating pad as soon as possible. As for tea, I have been drinking peppermint. And you are so right, it is so good for the tummy! I love it!! This pain does make me feel kinda stressed now and it is driving me nuts!! Thanks again, Linnie!~Love, Desi