Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I) and Causalgia (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)(RSD and CRPS)

advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 09:10 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Does anyone here have RSD in their face?

Hi there. I was just curious if there was anyone here that has RSD in their face? Did you have it first or did it spread to the face, neck, head area?

I have been getting the pains for about a week or two now and it is getting worse every day. The nerves to my teeth is CRAZY pain! Thank goodness it has only happened a few times but my face burns most of the day. My ears feel achy at times. Sometimes I think my eye is actually droopy because it feels numb all the way around it. I have wicked sinus pain and pressure on my forehead. The headaches/migranes are back. Sometimes I also get cold spots moving around my face. The back of my neck feels like a constant sunburn and feels like that under my chin and up my throat if I touch it.

The weirdest part is, the CRPS is in my lower left ankle/foot/leg. I am going to see a neurologist tomorrow. I hope he can shed some light on the situation. I really hate it being in my face. Sometimes I don't know what part of my body hurts worse and I have a lower tolerance for. I also have symptoms in my arms, chest, back (My bra drives me crazy by the end of the day, so much so that I think it has rubbed me raw but there isn't a mark), and both legs, as well as, my neck/head/face.

I would appreciate any thoughts and insight. Is it possible that it is not RSD but something else? Does this even sound like RSD?

TTL J
Kyzyl363 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart RSD in the face

Hi there,
I don't have RSD in my face but ever since I was diagnosed with RSD I have been getting problems with my teeth and I also get a sharp pain in my gums. Many of my teeth are chipped, I believe that the medications cause this to happen.
I find it hard to eat because of the problems, I have to eat on one side of my mouth. I don't get neck pain
Please speak to your PM doctor about this, he will be able to look in your mouth/neck to see what it is.
Take care
Love
Alison
Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Head

It is possible CRPS is spreading, I've had this to half my head once, but after taking Prednisolon for three weeks, it got better somehow?

Later I thought it spread to my legs, (My crps is in upper body, both sides) but after a neurologist visit, she was sure this was another neuropathy, still painfull , but it is called small fiber neuropathy, in my lower parts

So we all think this is spread, when something new happens , but it is important to allways check it out with a Dr. it could be something else, and hopefully something they can repair for once!

Tiril is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 AM #4
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I have RSD in my face... it didn't start there but has spread there. This was confirmed by more than one doctor. I have the same symptoms in my face that I have in the rest of my body.

Abbie
Abbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:52 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Great Thread!!

I have wondered about this myself. My face has begun to do some strange things lately. Some times it feels sunburned, will look flushed and be painful to the touch. At other times, cool air touching it is painful.

I have chronic sinus pain, and headaches. The latest on that front is a sensation as if someone is poking ice pick into my eye! It's hard to determine of these symptoms are sinus infections I am experiencing or part of my TOS/RSD. I had a C.T. scan last week during a really bad episode and it came out clear for infections and abnormalities. So who knows...

I have been having trouble swallowing as well, and have been going to a speech pathologist to learn new techniques for swallowing as well as exercises to strengthen the muscles in my soft pallate area. It has helped some.

Ali, people with chronic facial pain are known to clench their teeth, (according to my dentist). She recommended a custom made night guard, and that I wear it anytime I am in pain, as we tend to clench subconsciously. Also, the meds. dry out our mouths and make us prone to decay and gum problems. It's really important to see a dentist regularly when you have issues like we do. There are sprays, toothpastes, and rinses for dry moth to help prevent decay we can use.

Geez, I'd gladly take prednisone if they thought that would do the trick! Wouldn't that be something!

Also, good to know about the small fiber neuropathy. Although, don't they treat the various neuropathy's about the same way?? I have a friend with peripheral neuropathy, and he's on pretty much the same med's I am.

Thanks for the thread, Kyzyl363, great question!

Cala
Caladium is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:59 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi
I also get crps symptoms single sided face and head. This also soon spreads to involve the upper single sided quadrant. However if I use mirror therapy as soon as the symptoms arrive I can keep the problem in the face area and relieve the pain and symptoms - symptoms being nerve firing, pain, hypersensitivity to touch or breeze etc.

I will describe what I do in the hopes it helps you with this.

I use a hinged double mirror make up mirror. I place it against my face so that I can see only one side of my face and the mirror image of my face. The mirrors form a right angle at the hinge. I place the mirror so that one mirror is directly in front of my face and the other is against my center of my mouth to the nose. I can then see in the mirrors what appears to be a complete face.

In my case the pain was eminating from my teeth area. This is why I placed the mirror against my lips. Whilst looking at the image of a whole face (but really 2 halves of the pain free side) I move my mouth and grind my teeth and poke my mouth with a finger. Because this is to my pain free side, it does not hurt. In the mirror I see a whole mouth not hurting. I repeat this several times a day and keep it up till pain resolves. ( a caution - last time I treated this I was getting rid of the pain but as soon as I stopped mirror therapy the pain returned. Turned out I had an abscess on my tooth. So if pain returns, look for a reason other than CRPS/RSD)

What this does is retrain the brain that everything is ok. I'll give you the link here to a picture of the mirror I use. It's on my blog. Under the post of the picture you'll see tags. If you click on the "mirror therapy" tag you'll pull up my other posts and picture about mirror therapy.

You might also like to click on my interview in my profile. This will give you an understand of who I am and why I have travelled this path. Suggest you also look at Dr Lorimer Moseley's interview on the "How to Cope with Pain" website.

http://crps-rsd-a-better-life.blogsp...or-i-used.html
crps/rsd a better life

jeisea
http://www.crps-rsd-a-better-life.blogspot.com
jeisea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks everyone for your stories and comments. I don't have time to chat right now but will give you a quick update.

I saw a neurologist yesterday. Yes, he wants to run more tests. He is quite concerned about the symptoms I am having and says it seems to be a common thing for people with CRPS and a few other neuropathies to get similar things popping up or other neuropathies piggy backing on the CRPS trail. SO....Another MRI. This time not on my left ankle but my head and neck. I should have it this week some time.

I somehow don't feel like I was able to communicate all the things going on with me. He seems to think there may be plantar faceitus (however you spell it) on my left foot. I don't know about that though. I seem to recall something about looking into that once when things started but it doesn't explain or cover all the other symptoms I am having in that same foot/leg. So???Let him do his tests. Oh, a bone scan is suppose to be there somewhere as well. He wants to rule out MS and a couple of other things but didn't say....sure whatever. I just want to get somewhere with all of this....

Gotta run!
Have a Great Day! I get to go out into the snow...minor snow but the ground is still white! TTL J
Kyzyl363 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:06 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You seem to be travelling down a similar path to the one I followed. I have had several tests over the years for MS. I was also told I had plantar fasciitis. Add to that, morton's neuroma, achilles tendonitis, bursitis, rotator cuff tendonitis, tennis elbow. I could not believe it. I am not saying I did not and probably still do have mechanical issues which caused those itises but with CRPS the pain just goes on and on. The usual treatments suc as physio and orthotics in my shoes did not take away the pain. In the end what helped me was mirror visual feedback. I now from time to time have a shoulder problem or a hip/back issues. I do the physio and I do mirror therapy.
I no longer have the great list of problems. I hope things get sorted for you soon.
jeisea
http://www.crps-rsd-a-better-life.blospot.com
jeisea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:03 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default sinus

You made me remember the icepick in the eyes, splinters or fire in my eye, itt was terrible.
Problem swallowing, I took a lot of tests, but nothing. But this has been gone for some years, I hope forever

But this part is in remmission, so don't give up hope

Yes the pain-meds for other types of neuropathy is the same, but I feel Neurontin helps my feets, and Tegretol my arms/hands? My neurologist said it possibly is so, for me, we are alle different.

Tiril
Tiril is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:56 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi there.. I am getting sharp needle jabs in the base of my toung like I swallowed glass.. it comes and goes.. last night was bad, also when I eat something tart my toung and jaw go into a clamping spasm nasty.. only lasts a bit but my sour candys are out of the question for now.

I get bursts of drilling pain in my head usualy on the left hand side above the ear and sometimes just behing the eye, my eyes tear up realy bad either that or they are dry like sandpaper.. I think what happens is I tear out (it just pours out of my eyes) then I get realy dry eyes till it does it again the next night.

I also noticed the trouble swallowing at times.. it's like I think "swallow" but the throat dosnt listen, there is a thick feeling there and I have to tilt my head a bit to facilitate the process alot.. I get burning patches everywhere including my face and prickly scalp.. I also get burning itch stabbies in the back of my head alot that drive me nuts when it's happening.

However I also have full body generalized spread so it may be that this is just part of the whole effect but I wory that my drilling brain stabs are mabie something else.. How are we to know because there is so much pain on an ongoing process that there isnt something else going on too, I feel like I do nothing but complain at the dr's.. guess thats what they are there for but I have never realy been sick much before this and I hate to complain so much. *sigh*
I am just so sick of this... this... setback thats the way I will look at it.. it's just a setback.. hm.

I hope that you are feeling better today.
hugs,
Sandra
Sandel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote