Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 11-24-2007, 09:48 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Double Crush

Anyone been diagnosed with a double crush injury? If so - besides the TOS, what was your other diagnosis/symptom(s)?

I now have been told twice I have a double crush injury...seems to be elbow related.
JAMY is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-24-2007, 11:41 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Yes, I've heard that term used a lot, and I think I have microcompressions from my neck, through the BP, down the arm to the hands. That is why my arms fill up with so much fluid, but do not seem to circulate or push that fluid back through. From the beginning, I have had a severe spot-location pain at my right elbow, where the forearm muscle meets the elbow area. I think it's epicondylitis, but no doc has yet paid attention to it despite my attempts to point it out. Seems like they tune me out after the first couple of symptoms...so there are a lot of symptoms they ignore, which when they finally blow up - like my bladder / kidney, it's like they've hit upon something new, when it was bothersome for some time...

My EMG testing showed positive for carpal tunnel, (from med. to severe), and positive MRI for an orthopedic surgery for arthroscopic surgery on the right shoulder. I also need a second breast reduction, for general ease of back / neck pain symptoms.

However, I do not feel "up" to those yet.

My diagnoses are:

Neurogenic TOS, RSD (currently pretty much calmed down), fibromyalgia (which developed in the second / third year and got really bad after my TOS surgery), and depression secondary to the TOS.

Where exactly is your elbow pain? Can you describe it more? Jo55 is so great with finding her charts, maybe she can pull up a chart so you can identify the muscle, etc.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:24 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have well had double crush on my right side it was the tos and the carpel tunnel so there for i was being crushed at the wrist and my upper arm. I don't no if it made my symptoms any different or not. Perhaps it might in creases the pain that's about it now the tos surgery has been done i just had the emg done and the doctor did say that my carpel tunnel has gotten slightly better. But it has made no difference in the pain i have in my hand.
mucker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:12 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation

Yes Jamy,

I have double-crush TOS. I my case this means that an EMG tests positive for Carpal Tunnel (wrist), when in fact the 'crush' is in the Brachial Plexus.

Some people have triple-crush TOS which means they test positive for nerve compression in both the wrist and elbow. (Or double-crush, with positive compression showing in the elbow.)

So, even though I 'technically' have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, surgery in my wrist would not improve my wrist problems. Many, many people are diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel or Elbow nerve compression and they are not diagnosed with TOS until AFTER the wrist/elbow surgery in ineffective.

Do not have surgery for nerve compression outside of TOS, unless it is certain these are issues independent of the other.

I have posted before that my Rheumatologist gave me an injection of Cortisone in my wrist with NO RELIEF....a few weeks later, he injected my shoulder and I experienced RELIEF in my WRIST. This test proved that a Carpal Tunnel release would have been unnecessary AND unsuccessful.

I wish everyone with TOS, or suspected TOS, would have this test to rule out unnecessary surgeries.

Something to consider.
Anne
Bi-Coastal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:03 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I was told I had double crush with nerve compression at BP and elbow. You can read about double or multiple crush in Peter Edgelow's materials and I think the websites of at least one of the Denver doctors; it refers to additional compressions traveling down the arm. However I have neck issues and the nerves are compressed as they come out of the spine. I don't recall if this is referred to as part of multiple crush areas but it's the same nerves before they head down to the BP. I know that a lot of us w/TOS have compression of the nerves above the TOS site in the C-spine.
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:13 PM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I had ulnar/cubital/golfers/tennis/epicondilitis type dx/sx at my worst time - but they did resolve with not working and very good PT.

So I found that most of my sx must be due to soft tissue & sticky fascia problems.
On and the very tight /spasmed muscles at the time.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

JAMY,
I was diagnosed with a double-crush after my bilateral carpal tunnel surgery was ineffective...I had a CTS dx even though I always complained about neck/shoulder pain. I was told it was nerve compression at both the C-spine and the carpal tunnel...possibly triple-crush involving the thoracic outlet as well.

It's a common dx...and secondary to whatever is causing the compression. So your question back to the Dr. should be "What is causing the compression?" Without knowing that, any treatment is just throwing darts blindly...
marabunta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:29 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanx for the advice guys...I see my GP in December so I can throw this (along with a bunch of other things) at her...seems the worst problem is at the elbow and my GP had originally suspected an Ulnar Nerve entrapment and sent me to a Plastic Surgeon who suspected a Double Crush injury. Both my chiro and MT have said I have alot of adhesions/scar tissue at the elbow...
Old 11-27-2007, 02:15 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Jamy

Hi,

think shoulder (BP) down.....and all nerves could be entrapped due to immobility and surgery and lack of proper use....many are dx with carpel tunnel have surgery then get tennis elbow or entrapment here....then finally get a TOS dx......soooooooo I have a feeling there may be neck involvement??????????????????????????

love and hugs,
Victoria

How poor are they who have not patience!
What wound did ever heal but by degrees.

gibbrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:15 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Vic,

Ya neck involvement is worth checking out...it is just a matter of convincing the docs that it is worth checking out. I have a list of stuff for my doc...I am sure she will be impressed!