Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation Questions about A.R.T. and swelling in Subclavial area...

Dear Friends, I have not posted in a while.... with reduced stress, myofascial massage and Topamax, I experienced a good period of relief. I am in a relapse now and am dealing with it day by day. I was wondering if anyone has tried Active Release Technique therapy? I have read postings on other sites from people who have had great results with it , but I trust everyone here and have gained so much knowledge from what I've read, I thought I'd ask! Also, any suggestions on reducing the swelling at the spot above the collarbone ,right at the subclavius area? Have others had this? I am so appreciative that all of you are out there!!! God Bless and thank you for whatever thoughts you can offer. Beth in Delaware
Teach2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-25-2007, 11:20 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Beth,

I have had ART treatments for the past month and a half now and I have to say that in my case it has been a turning point in my recovery. My chiro started with ART treatments primarily in my neck/collarbone area and has now expanded to doing these in my forearm for elbow and wrist pain. He has also used the 'Graston Technique' esp on my scar which really helped with scar tissue.

At first I found the treatments a bit uncomfortable, but my chiro has been very patient and listens to me...using lotions, etc has enabled him to really use this technique and help with my pain. As with any new treatment I was tentative but, I trust the people at the clinic I go to and they have never let me down! I had never heard of ART before it was suggested I see the chiro so I did some reading and figured 'why not'...as so often happens, at least for me, you hit a plateau and something new needs to be thrown into the mix. I am now seeing the chiro 1x a week as opposed to the 3x a week I started out at!

Hope this helps! Please feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions
JAMY is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:22 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Beth It's funny you should mention the swelling because I have it also and have never gotten any information on this. It is very noticable to me but I do not beleive to others. Doctors I think kind of dismiss this so I have always assumed it was normal. If you get any info I would love to hear it. Thanks, Linda
LinJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:55 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My Experience

I have had the swelling above the collarbone for several years now.

This is a serious symptom. When Dr Ellis would see it he would tell me to really take it easy as this is I think he said, something about vascular compression.

Mine is there all the time but is worse when I'm flared.

I have met maybe 10 people with tos and they don't have this swelling. Be careful.

Do your arms swell? Be very cautious about swelling.

BE SURE TO ADVISE YOUR TOS EXPERT DOCTOR ABOUT THIS SYMPTOM
ocgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi

I started getting ART this summer with my new MT as she does it for me.
I am starting to turn around the hell that began with my move. I firmly believe a massage once a week with ART has been very beneficial to my recovery process.....and keeps me going from week to week. Without it I would be far less functioning! I only wish I could have her when I go away anywhere!

love and hugs,
Victoria

How poor are they who have not patience!
What wound did ever heal but by degrees.

gibbrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Beth,
I don't have much to offer about ART, except if it hurts at all, stop until the pain settles down...no matter what they tell you...and drink lots of water after every session. Just my amateur opinion.

I've had that swelling above the collarbone chronically for several years now...after 15 years I now have no depression there at all. I'm due for surgery soon, just the scalenes to start with as that's what appears to be causing the vascular compression.
marabunta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:05 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Speaking of Swelling

I have for the past year or so had a spot on my bicep that swells up...and has bruised for no apparent reason in the past. No one (doc, PT, MT) has been able to explain this other than that it is prob a muscle spasm...You can see the 'bump' most of the time...when it flares up it gets worse.

I know once I get swelling I have to take it easy...I haven't noticed swelling in my scar area though (collar bone) in quite some time...so I really can't add there. Sorry!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:58 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Swelling: re swelling can you guys get a dynamic ultrasound or venogram. It may show exactly how much and where the blockage is. It did for me. I pay attention when I use my body and stop when I notice the swelling.

ART-
I would like to try ART but I am on Medicare. All I can get fr a Chiro is a manual treatment. Are there PTs that do ART or another solution anyone has found for getting it approved for a Medicare plan.
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:54 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

you guys mentioned swelling above the clavicle but what about just between the elbow and shoulder? my left bicept/tricept is sometimes 2 inches larger than the right! It hardly ever goes below the elbow. I don't wear my rings to bed anymore because I can't get them off in the am my fingers will swell during the night.
horsemommy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Horsemommy,

I get swelling in the bicep area...it generally appears as a 'bump', whereas swelling in my forearm tends to be all over. Do you have all over swelling or is it specific to one area?