Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default thoracic esi failure, lumber esi today

Hi all
Hope I am finding everyone feeling bettter today, painfree i hope. Since I joined this site I have to say that you all have been a great help and also an inspiration--- the pains we all go through-- and can still talk and help others is such a wonderful gift to give. and at this time of year (whe alot of us are at out wits end money wise) advice is perfect!

Welll with that all said I would like to let you all know that the thoracic esi I had last week didn't work, but today I had a lumber 4-5 esi for stenosis and am praying thst this one atleast worked. the doc did say he thinks that a little spinal fluid leaked and to watch out for the dreaded headache, but when i left 5 mins later he said thsat if i didn't already have it that i wouldn't-- is thhis true?

I sure hope so, as this shot was a little less comfortable(believe it or not) than the thoracic. Now understand that needles have never bothered me before, but these going onto my spine are just alittle more uncomforable than the normal needle, and even though the thoracic did hurt a bit it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be but the lumber was worse than i thought, could be from the possible nic?

Anyway wanted to keep you all up to date, as i must have driven everyone crazy in the beginning, you seee this doc doesn't use iv or flourascope al by eye. Bu for some reason i do trust him he seems quite compatent in what he does. anywho i will be going back in 2 weeks for another lumber esi, he won't do another thracic atleast not yet since the other didn't work, then on to the cervical such fun. any more advice is very welcome. thanks to all deb
dagm131 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-04-2007, 12:50 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't know how to say this other than to say it, Deb: I really wish that you could see a PM doc who doesn't do injections with a "blind" approach.

I don't want to come across as a broken record, however, so I also wish the best for you, and that's why I mention my concerns.

I hear all kinds of things from people and, even though their intentions and hearts are in the right place, and they truly do sound convincing, I would not go for most of the ideas they've suggested. Magnets won't cure arthritis or reverse my spinal problems, nor will copper or WD-40.

As persuasive as some seem, it all comes down to risk/benefit. The risks of taking a blind approach to doing injections are greater than the possible benefits.

If your doc had used a C-Arm or live-guided X-ray (a.k.a., the F machine), who's to say that your T-spine injection would not have turned out differently and with success. The doc guessed. Obviously, he missed the mark, but... someone was still billed for the "failure."

I've had bilateral, multi-level C-spine, T-spine, L-spine, and S-spine injections and RF'ing (nerve nuking). No failure whatsoever. Then, again, my doc was not "guessing" where to place the needles.

If a doc is not using live-guided x-ray, I wonder what the refund rate is? and what about punctures? Refund? Hmmm.

I hope it turns out well for you; there are valid reasons so many have shared similar as I have: We're concerned for you.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:11 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Deb,

Please, please, please listen to Bobbi! She is on the level and right on target. I, too, am beginning to fear for you...let alone the risk of multiple failures. And here you are now left with a leak???!! PLEASE look for another doc and/or refuse any more injections WITHOUT fluoroscopy!
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default thank you

all for your concern, and believe me i wish i could just go find another doc who used iv and flourascope, but it has taken me almost a year to find a doc who would even look at me they all said that my problems where way to dangerous to touch, then i finally got this doc who atleast has given me some hope. Don't get me wrong, my pcp gave me valium to take before each esi and told me if i didn't feel comfortable to just walk out, and he wants me to go to hss, am still waiting to hear back as tis is really a wc case, but i am at the point now of getting the proof, hss doesn't take my ins, which i was stupit enough to use since 05 when this all happpened froma fall at work, but now that i am not working as my job told me that i couldn't due to my problems ad they also said to get a lawyer and go on wc like i should of in the beginning i am now listening. so hopefuly in the future i wil not have to get blindsided. by the way i don't think the doc niced aything as i still feel the sae . but thank you all for your concern deb
Old 12-06-2007, 02:07 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't know how WC works, yet I do hope that you get a good lawyer. Sounds, to me from reading about everything WC entails, people fare better with a good lawyer on their side.

((( Hugs, Deb )))

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:15 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default thanks bobbi

Yes i hope the lawyer i got is also good, i got him from my niehbor who said he did him good and from the things he has done to his house plus new car looks good to me. anyway my lawyer said it will be a challaging case but he is highly interested so far and he only charges 15% which most charge 33%, went to doc today to get the ball rolling and am going to call hss as the pm and doc said that is my only cvhance at a normal or somewhat normal life they are all proposing surgery and i don't think i can go through with that one , it is very invasive they have to cut through your ribs and move over your heart and lungs
roght now i am trying to get all the paper trails from 2 years ago till present which is quite alot. but thank you all for yourf concern and if any one out there has had this surgery i could use some pointers thanks again deb