Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused TOS from Cervical Ribs - Surgery Suggested

I was recently diagnosed with TOS. I had been having problems for years, but it took the doctors a while to figure it out. I went to physical therapy for a while with no results. A vascular surgeon that I have been going to told me yesterday that I have cervical (extra) ribs on each side, and I have to have them, as well as some muscle, removed. He said the surgeries for each side will be a month apart. I am getting a second opinion from a thoracic surgeon next week. I have been doing a lot of research since I found this out yesterday, and I have a lot of questions. It sounds like the surgery is a lot to go through, and since my TOS is not work related, I can't stop working and get worker's comp. One of my biggest questions is, how long can I expect to be out of work? I am an accountant, and I do a lot of typing. The Dr said that I would spend 3-5 days in the hospital for each surgery and that I should be on light duty (no lifting) for a couple of weeks after each surgery, but from what I have read, it sounds like I should expect to be out of work for a while.

From what I have read, I think I have vascular TOS because my major problem is numbness & tingling in my arms and hands. I wouldn't really call it pain, it's more like discomfort. It worsens at night, and I can not sleep without taking Ambien. I do have pain in my hands when I flex them (the scratching position), and my neck and shoulders are always tight. I don't have a good range of motion in my neck. When I was going to PT, they spent a lot of time massaging and working out knots in my neck. That was painful.

I would love to get rid of the problems and stop taking sleep meds, but I am wondering if it is worth it to get the surgery. I am a little scared from reading all the postings of the extreme pain and long recovery times.

Any advice would be helpful...:

Brandi
bhall0464 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-05-2007, 07:21 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi Brandi,
They should be able to tell you how big your C ribs are.
Some have partial and some might have smaller ones, etc.
That info might help you decide if a full set or large set- more of a definite reason to have surgery.

If you would like to focus on phys therapy and body/posture work for a longer time will they let you do that?

But if vascular reasons - swelling, color changes ect -
there can be a possibility of clots.
Did they do any checks of your veins and arteries-
I think called doppler or a ultrasound or even a special MRI.

You should be able to use FMLA and short term disability for time off.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm very glad I had my surgery to remove a left cervical rib- I'm not gonna lie, it's painful as heck! But it was soooo nice to be able to lift a towel or hold my arm up to wash my kids hair or my own, for that matter! My surgery was in 2003-having a few issues now with the left arm but tolerable-except for the cold hand. Mine was compressing on the brachial artery, which I'm now hoping isn't scar tissue building up causing similar problems. But as painful as it was it was so worth it! It was a good 6 weeks before I was able to actually use that arm- and I didn't really have "therapy" as I worked as an Aide in a rehab clinic- but I would use my everyday items for therapy, picking up gallons of water or milk, or detergent, fold large towels, wall walking and I did pretty well, never had to go to therapy. I even make myself pull the back van door down with only the left arm for strenght building. Dr. always said, just continue doing what I was doing, it was working. Good luck! And if Dr. wants to send you home with meds, take them- pain would seem to increase out of the blue as it healed! Take care, Becky rgonz62744@comcast.net
my4sons2007 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:03 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default update?

Brandi,

I was curious to see if you went through with the surgery or have you been in limbo since you posted?

I have the same symptoms and am contemplating surgery as well(neck inflammation from the cervical ribs-burning in neck) and tingling in hands and grip issues.

let me know how you are doing, I have to go for a 2nd mri to get more information. The surgeon recommended I do the surgery soon and I am trying to get all the information researched that I can before deciding what I am going to do.

let me know, thanks!

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall0464 View Post
I was recently diagnosed with TOS. I had been having problems for years, but it took the doctors a while to figure it out. I went to physical therapy for a while with no results. A vascular surgeon that I have been going to told me yesterday that I have cervical (extra) ribs on each side, and I have to have them, as well as some muscle, removed. He said the surgeries for each side will be a month apart. I am getting a second opinion from a thoracic surgeon next week. I have been doing a lot of research since I found this out yesterday, and I have a lot of questions. It sounds like the surgery is a lot to go through, and since my TOS is not work related, I can't stop working and get worker's comp. One of my biggest questions is, how long can I expect to be out of work? I am an accountant, and I do a lot of typing. The Dr said that I would spend 3-5 days in the hospital for each surgery and that I should be on light duty (no lifting) for a couple of weeks after each surgery, but from what I have read, it sounds like I should expect to be out of work for a while.

From what I have read, I think I have vascular TOS because my major problem is numbness & tingling in my arms and hands. I wouldn't really call it pain, it's more like discomfort. It worsens at night, and I can not sleep without taking Ambien. I do have pain in my hands when I flex them (the scratching position), and my neck and shoulders are always tight. I don't have a good range of motion in my neck. When I was going to PT, they spent a lot of time massaging and working out knots in my neck. That was painful.

I would love to get rid of the problems and stop taking sleep meds, but I am wondering if it is worth it to get the surgery. I am a little scared from reading all the postings of the extreme pain and long recovery times.

Brandi
jrgreenle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:06 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart long recovery time = better outcomes

I've also had the surgeries for bi-lateral c-ribs and an extra scalene on one side. Also pec minor disinsertion surgery. PM me if you have questions my old posts haven't answered.

Wishing you all the best for a great outcome!
Anne

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (12-19-2008)
Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 PM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Rob , you might send an email or PM to Brandi, I think it has been awhile since she has been to the forum here, if she has the same email the message or notice will get to her.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:01 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Red face Tos Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall0464 View Post
I was recently diagnosed with TOS. I had been having problems for years, but it took the doctors a while to figure it out. I went to physical therapy for a while with no results. A vascular surgeon that I have been going to told me yesterday that I have cervical (extra) ribs on each side, and I have to have them, as well as some muscle, removed. He said the surgeries for each side will be a month apart. I am getting a second opinion from a thoracic surgeon next week. I have been doing a lot of research since I found this out yesterday, and I have a lot of questions. It sounds like the surgery is a lot to go through, and since my TOS is not work related, I can't stop working and get worker's comp. One of my biggest questions is, how long can I expect to be out of work? I am an accountant, and I do a lot of typing. The Dr said that I would spend 3-5 days in the hospital for each surgery and that I should be on light duty (no lifting) for a couple of weeks after each surgery, but from what I have read, it sounds lery and I will be off for 3 months after the procedure with physical therapy.

Brandi
I have Tos as well and I was told that I will be off work until I have my surgery. My surgeon said I will be off work 3 months after surgery and will also be doing pt during that time. He said I would be in the hospital 2 to 5 days. My concern for you is that I don't understand why you could not turn this in to workers comp. Computer work and typing can cause this condition as well. I know you have a extra rib but your job is aggravating it. I fell at work last year and damaged my long thoracic nerve as well and now have TOS. I do office work and was told I could not work due to it being repetitive work.
I also have been doing allot of research and I'am very scared to have the surgery as well. I have been in constant pain for a year and have seen many Dr.'s along with several test. I feel your pain and understand what you are going through. My surgery is scheduled January 23 and I feel like I have no other choice than to do the surgery. I have tried pt twice which made it worse and I'm unable to do things I enjoy anymore. I have my hair license and I'm unable to do hair,I love to landscape and I'm unable to do that. I'm only 37 years old and have two children and feel terrible about putting my family through all this. I hope this can help with some of your questions!
Marcy
mfaber is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:15 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy Tos Patient

[QUOTE=my4sons2007;173907]I'm very glad I had my surgery to remove a left cervical rib- I'm not gonna lie, it's painful as heck! But it was soooo nice to be able to lift a towel or hold my arm up to wash my kids hair or my own, for that matter! My surgery was in 2003-having a few issues now with the left arm but tolerable-except for the cold hand. Mine was compressing on the brachial artery, which I'm now hoping isn't scar tissue building up causing similar problems. But as painful as it was it was so worth it! It was a good 6 weeks before I was able to actually use that arm- and I didn't really have "therapy" as I worked as an Aide in a rehab clinic- but I would use my everyday items for therapy, picking up gallons of water or milk, or detergent, fold large towels, wall walking and I did pretty well, never had to go to therapy. I even make myself pull the back van door down with only the left arm for strenght building. Dr. always said, just continue doing what I was doing, it was working. Good luck! And if Dr. wants to send you home with meds, take them- pain would seem to increase out of the blue as it healed! Take care, Becky

Becky,
I'm scheduled to have a rib resection surgery January 23,09 and I'm scared as heck. I have been having pain for a year now and I hope this helps me. I hope I have as good of luck as you did. I'm just scared of all the pain afterwards. Do u have any pointers for at home, things I should need or do duringy recovery, I know you said pain meds. How long until you were able to get around or drive? My husband works nights and I'm nout sure how long to schedule help with my kids. I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,Marcy
mfaber is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It sounds like two surgeries back to back would be a bit much for your body to recover. May not yield a good outcome.

I would want to know how well I could use my arm after the first surgery before I had surgery on the opposite side.
(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up

I had 4 months between rib resections. It felt right.

Just be sure you have support at home: someone to cook for the first 4 weeks, drive for the first 2 months, laundry, shopping, etc.

Allowing your body time to recover is almost as important as having an experienced surgeon.

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Haute Mess (11-29-2012)