Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I) and Causalgia (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)(RSD and CRPS)

advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 08:24 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Question, please!

My Doc. put me on 50 mg. of the fetanyl patch because the 60 mg. of time released morphine was NOT working. I have never used a patch. I heard people tell me, "Oh I'm on the pain patch". I have been on this excatly two days today. It's working some. when does this start to help my pain. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you~Love, Desi
Desi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-07-2007, 06:54 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi Desi
I hope that your pain is going down a bit.
This is what I found on the internet about the Fetanyl patch.

Fentanyl is used to treat severe pain.
Nausea, vomiting or constipation may occur with this medicine. Your doctor may be able to prescribe medicines to take with fentanyl to help with these side effects.
Fentanyl can cause drowsiness. Make sure your reactions are normal before driving, operating machinery or doing any other jobs which could be dangerous if you were not fully alert.

How to use fentanyl
Always read the manufacturer's information leaflet, if possible, before beginning treatment.
Fentanyl lozenges - should not be swallowed or chewed. Move the applicator around the mouth to ensure contact with the tongue and the inside of cheeks. As the lozenge dissolves the fentanyl is absorbed through the lining of the mouth into the body. Initially, use one lozenge over a 15 minute period. If pain does not ease within 15 minutes, repeat with another lozenge. Do not use more than 4 lozenges in any 24 hour period. If there is still some lozenge left on the applicator this should be disposed of out of the reach of children. You can run it under a hot tap until the lozenge has all gone and then the applicator can be thrown away.
Fentanyl patches - should be placed on a dry, non-hairy area of your upper arm or torso as directed by your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. It may take up to 24 hours for the first fentanyl patch you use to reach it's full effect. Fentanyl patches should not be placed on irritated skin, including skin that has received radiotherapy.
Fentanyl patches should be removed after 72 hours and a new patch placed on a different area of skin. You should try to avoid placing a patch in the same area for at least seven days.
Do not apply external heat sources such as a hot water bottle or electric blanket to the patch as this can increase the absorption of fentanyl through the skin.
Speak to your doctor if you develop a high temperature as this can increase the absorption of fentanyl through the skin.
Fentanyl is for you. Never give it to others even if their condition appears to be the same as yours.

Getting the most from your treatment
Alcohol will increase any feelings of drowsiness. Avoid alcoholic drinks
Fentanyl can cause constipation. Constipation can often be eased by eating plenty of fibre, such as wholegrain cereals, fruit, green leafy vegetables and drinking 6-8 glasses of water each day.
Because fentanyl is a controlled drug, if you are planning a trip abroad, check with the government department HM Revenue and Customs to see if you need any documentation for your medicine. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has a list of medicines that contain controlled drugs and can tell you the amount that you are allowed to take abroad. If you need to pack more of your medicine than you are allowed you will need to apply in writing for a licence from the Home Office before you travel.

Hope this helps
Love
Alison
Old 12-07-2007, 07:13 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ali, Your a doll!! Thank you so very much for responding so fast!! duh!! Now, you would have thought I could have looked this up!! LOLThanks so much for you always being here, to help someone in need sweet one!! ~Love ya! Desi
Old 12-07-2007, 07:15 AM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Desi,
Many thanks for your sweet reply. I am glad that I can help you.
Love
Alison
Old 12-07-2007, 08:21 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
My Doc. put me on 50 mg. of the fetanyl patch because the 60 mg. of time released morphine was NOT working. I have never used a patch. I heard people tell me, "Oh I'm on the pain patch". I have been on this excatly two days today. It's working some. when does this start to help my pain. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you~Love, Desi

Hi dear Desi,

It will probably take a couple of weeks before you notice a marked relief in pain. It is a really good thing that you already have some relief after only 2 days.
Lots of luck with them
Love Tayla
tayla4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:52 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would say maybe a good week Desi before you start showing relife however they didnt work very well for me... I hope your pain is going down!

Much love to you desi... Hugs and Kisses!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:47 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Fentanyl Patch

Hi Desi,
I thought I would pop in and give you my two cents of this patch since I have been wearing it for over two years now. I had tried all the other pain meds like morphine and Oxycontin which did not work all the time for me. I decided to try the Fentanyl because I needed round the clock pain relief. I started out with 50 mcg (micro grams) make sure you say mcg's verus mg (milligrams) because they are two different things. 50 mg is much stronger than 50 mcg so you need to be careful because if you told the wrong person that it could mean an overdose for you. Fentanyl is very strong even though you may not feel it working...it does take about 17 hours for each patch to start working full force. If you read the brochure enclosed with each box you will get some good information. I am now down to 25 mcg's for over a year now. I was taking all kinds of pain meds to see what would work and this is the one for me. Some advice I could give you which may save your life is do not put the patch on and take a bath or a shower right away. You must wait at least two hours before you can take a bath or shower. You have to watch the sun so it doesn't heat your body up and cause the medicine to release quicker. Also, if you have an electric blanket you may not want to use it with it. I always have to watch for anything that may increase my body temperature will increase the pain medicine release in the patch. Also, I believe the brochure says if you develop a fever you must immediately go into the ER.

I had a problem two years ago when I was in the hospital the neurologist insisted I needed 2 - 50 mcg's of Fentanyl patches and I kept telling him it was too much for me. He disagreed and slapped them on to me. Well, the hospital was giving me all kinds of pain meds, anti-depressants, morphine and with enhancers to make the morphine stronger and then sent me home. I don't remember about 4 days and almost died from an overdose because of the second patch. My 16 year old son knew something was wrong with me because I kept passing out. So, he and a friend drove me to the ER. All I remember is them yanking off both patches and they kept me in the Telemetry Unit for a few days. They overdosed me. The worst part was when my family got there and they told them what happened. My family thinks I tried to take my life when I didn't because the hospital never told them THEY overdosed me. They forgot to leave that part out!!! Amazing. I don't want to scare you but I want you to be aware of your body temperature at all times. Like in the summer, you do not want to sit outside especially in the sun because your body temperature will go out to quickly and you can have a heart attack. Also, I knew someone who took off a patch and then put a fresh one on the same spot. She almost died too from an overdose. So, when you take one patch off of one upper arm [where I put mine] then make sure you put the new patch on the other arm. Good luck and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Fentanyl works quite well for me and lowers the pain a bit for me.
Best of luck,
Kathy d.
kathy d is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:46 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default help please

I have been on Opana for a chronic pain condition called RSD or CRPS. I was on Fentanyl patches for over a year before but could not keep my eyes open so my Dr switched me to Opana ER. I take 60mgs twice daily and I really want off of them. So I quit cold turkey and am having major withdrawals. Maybe I am just a wimp.....have never really taken meds for anything before all of this, but my seven yr old son died in my lap from cancer and he was on some major meds at the end. I just can't do this anymore I am miserable on it, and I want my life back....can't understand why anyone would do this to themselves on purpose I have felt awful since I started on any meds. I have been on the Opana since January and the withdrawals are killing me. Very fidgety, nauseated, severe severe headaches, very moody, upset stomache, want to sleep it off but can't sleep. Please help anyone i am soooo miserable and don't know what to do. I asked my Doc to take me off and he would not even hear of it, so I took matters upon myself. Mayn other side effects....does anyone know how long this crap lasts....I do have 10mg immediate relief but am trying desperately not to take them. I have been off the Opana for 57 hours and have taken 2 breakthroughs
Avery777 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:48 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Two weeks, Tayla?? two weeks?? Nooooooooooooooooooo!! LOL Just kidding! LOL I never knew that it really took this long for this to work!! Thank you for your reply sweetie! Love ya! ~Love, Desi
Old 12-07-2007, 06:50 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi ya my "Buddy" Jacquelina!! It is working slowly, but not like I wish it would!! Thanks for your reply hun! ~Love, Desi