Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I) and Causalgia (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)(RSD and CRPS)

advertisement

Old 12-18-2007, 02:38 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Tongue how is everyone?

Hey,
I know its been a really long time and most of you may not even remember me... from a group of oldies here... and from other sites that we all gathered round a few years ago. I have missed everyone so much but haven't had alot of time to post. First of all.. Merry Xmas and Happy New year to each and every one of you. Now... I have made it through 15 months of my husband being in Iraq and he should be home by Christmas Eve (crossing my fingers!) And have been working, going to school and taking care of my 3 kids and the house! Whew... and still have RSD... fun fun. Although I seemed to be in remission for almost a year now life has had its ups and downs. Luckily I have stayed so busy the downs just got blown over with all the other stuff going on in my life. I don't know if anyone I used to talk with still posts here but if so I'd like to say.... don't ever give up on finding that cure... I know its elusive and doesn't always work for everyone but if after 5 years I can get remission of almost a year I believe it can happen for others! Keep your chin up and keep trying different things... never let that limb stop moving and every chance you get to move it, move it. Take care everyone and have wonderful holidays!
((HUGS))
Kari
karibelle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi there,

Please let me introduce myself - my name is Alison, I am 12 years old and I suffer from RSD in my left foot and right hand.
I first developed RSD in my foot after an ankle sprain in March, I was diagnosed with RSD 4 months later. 2 months after diagnosis my PM doctor prescribed me Amitriptyline which caused me to suffer from a nasty side effect of "blurred vision", this resulted in a knock to my right arm. I was diagnosed with RSD 2 weeks later. The RSD in my hand as been in remission, but unfortunately I knocked my arm this weekend and I think that the RSD's come back again (my arms swelt up and gone red and painful) , I really hope that it is better for Christmas so that I can open all of my presents, lol.

I am so sorry about what you are going through - it must be so hard for you looking after the kids, cleaning the house etc, I bet you are really stressed.

If you need anything I am here, got to go now because I can only type with one hand
Merry Christmas and a happy new year
Pain free hugs
Love
Alison
Old 12-18-2007, 08:42 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Kari
I'm quite new to the site and have a 12 year old daughter with RSD in her leg and arm.
I was wondering what treatments / therapies you found helpful in putting your RSD into remission. I know everyone is different but it helps us to hear stories of people who are now recovering and gives us hope that things won't always be the same as they are now
Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year
Love and best wishes
Andrea

Last edited by ali12; 12-18-2007 at 10:34 AM.
ali12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:10 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Keri..
Welcome back my friend.. and you must be getting so excited what a great christmas present for you and your family..
And what a wonderful christmas present you have just given us hope... hope.. truley it is priceless..
thank you,
Sandra
Attached Thumbnails
how is everyone?-squirrelgreeting-jpg  
Sandel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:12 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Ali and Ali's mom!
The treatments I was getting for the first 5 years I found out after 5 years were not the right ones... and we moved from CA to TX and I am currently seeing a physiatrist in NM who started giving me the Lumbar sympathetic blocks... and although he and I both were apprehensive of them working after so long I was one of the lucky ones... they did work. The first one I got kept my symptoms down so low I got off of 3 out of my 8 meds... so then we did a series of 6 of them... one every 2 weeks for 12 weeks and I started walking (very very slowly at first and for very short times) on a treadmill. By the way, my rsd is in my right foot and just found out I also have it in my jawbone where I had a wisdom tooth removed. When we first moved here I was in so much pain and so unhealthy that my doctor was pushing for an electric wheelchair for me... but after about the 3rd LSB I found that was able to walk on the treadmill for up to 45 minutes and was walking about a mile and a half without any pain, swelling, discoloration etc. I also started taking the grape seed extract and putting lotion on my foot several times a day... the lotion not only helped with the skin changes I had been seeing but also got me to where I could start touching my foot lightly. Basically during the time I was having the LSB's done I was doing my own form of physical therapy at home and doing whatever I could to start getting my foot moving again and being able to touch it. Unfortunately I am no longer in full remission but I still am not using a cane and still do my walking on the treadmill and am still only taking 4 medications compared to 8 that I was on when all this first started. I have alot of allergy issues that I deal with now that I didn't ever have before I got RSD... and I get sick alot easier as alot of us do... so I have to be really careful during the school year with 3 kids that bring home all the different viruses and stuff. I still don't have full range of motion in my foot but other than that the only real problems I have with it is if my foot gets cold it makes my entire leg feel like its on fire, some minor swelling, and my pain levels... they get up to around a 5 on a 1-10 scale... compared to a 10 or above before the LSB's. I had to go in for 2 more LSB's since the first series of 6 but they have been many months apart. I went 13 months without any LSB's and then the next time I went 6 months so I think that is pretty good if you ask me. My life isn't perfect (whose is?) and although my life has changed since getting RSD I can live pretty well with the way things are right now compared to the way they were when I first got it. I am working part time and going to school part time along with taking care of my 3 kids and a home. My kids have been life savers and thank goodness they understand about the RSD and help out alot. There are still so many things I can't do that I could before but like I said, I can live my life this way at least without being wracked with pain 24/7. I hope you find something that works for you.. I am sorry to hear of anyone getting this horrible disease but it makes me really sad to hear about kids getting it. Hang in there ok and like I said, never ever give up hope that you will find what works for you... and just keep living your life to the best of your ability... you WILL find what works best for you. (((HUGS)))
Kari
karibelle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:48 AM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Hi Kari,

Whew, is right. You have done an amazing job since your husband has been gone. Going to school, work and taking care of the kids and your home and still staying in remission. Great.

I am very glad to hear that you are doing this good. I swear by the blocks also. I had SGB's for my RSD and it did put mine into remission. Like you, when I have a flare, my arm and hand and right foot burns so bad that no meds can calm it down. The weather change sets mine off at times.

I am glad you found a good Dr. that knows what to do for the RSD. That is the most important thing. It's hard to do at times too. I see that by what so many others go through on here in trying to find that right Dr. to do the right thing for them.

I think it's great that you are getting such a great Christmas present for Christmas. Your hubby coming home, nothing more to ask for huh? That's wonderful.

I am glad to see you back and doing so good.

Ada
dreambeliever128 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:29 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Kari!!!

It's great to see you post!! I was just scrolling thru just now and saw your post!! Thought I'd better say Hi my friend from long ago!!!

Hugs to you girl!

Debbie
gigglebabe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have a hunch that not giving up is the best advice. We all know how hard it can be to follow.
Imahotep is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:37 AM #9
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi Kari,

I hope you know how good it felt to see your post. It's bittersweet, but easier because you still see the worst of it in your rear-view mirror; where I hope it stays. And always hope; nothing can stay secret forever, not even RSD.

And now, I shouldn't hesitate before asking you to tell us about Christmas Eve, but that almost irrarional fear of these days, almost stops me, Tell us about your present (only as much as you want to)...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :

Last edited by Vicc; 01-06-2008 at 06:07 AM. Reason: just being me
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote