Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 05:27 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Spreading to other arm?

I feel like my TOS and ulnar nerve problems are spreading to other side. From right to left. Anyone have this happen to them?
billy027 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-19-2007, 11:11 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I may be speaking out of turn here, since I do not have an official TOS dx yet....

But I, too, have begun experiencing some symptoms in the other (right) arm. Nowhere CLOSE to as severe...but the tingling and aching that I recall from the left side, has now begun on the right.

I've read in these forums about TOS presenting on both sides...
Dena is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:48 PM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

could be a couple of reasons -

Using the good side more - brings out the symptoms on it
Both sides are affected - but one side just happened to "show" first

Hmm I think I'll do a poll about this.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:30 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy027 View Post
I feel like my TOS and ulnar nerve problems are spreading to other side. From right to left. Anyone have this happen to them?

Yes. Due to overuse of left arm after loss of right arm.

Strangely enough, the symptoms are slightly different! Obviously, I guess, because the cause (computer on right) (overuse in left) was different.

What is the same though are the RSD symptoms - the red / swelling / skin burning.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:36 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am having same thing happening to my left arm.Right rib resection done dec.2007...left side is beginning to show same symptoms just not as pronounced as other side!!..
Noxy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:14 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi everyone....

I to think that this does migrate. I wasn't having any problems with my Left shoulder. Then about 6 mos. ago I started having problems that if I not knowingly moved my left arm a certain way I would get this SEVERE pain thu my arm that was crippling ! Then about a month ago my left shoulder just froze up and now I can't lift the arm past my waist ! I definitely think that this migrates. I am in Therapy now but I haven't had much success yet. Hang in there.

Dolfinz
Dolfinz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:54 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfinz View Post
Hi everyone....

I to think that this does migrate. I wasn't having any problems with my Left shoulder. Then about 6 mos. ago I started having problems that if I not knowingly moved my left arm a certain way I would get this SEVERE pain thu my arm that was crippling ! Then about a month ago my left shoulder just froze up and now I can't lift the arm past my waist ! I definitely think that this migrates. I am in Therapy now but I haven't had much success yet. Hang in there.

Dolfinz
My left side is definetly showing symptoms now. I have to use it more because of right side problems. Left hurts in elbow area just from picking dog up(only 12 lbs.) hurts to raise arm and pinky sticking out uncontrollably. This is how other side started. What happens with 2 bad arms with TOS?
billy027 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well with two bad TOS arms, you learn to cope. You don't pick things up. You get stools that take you to the high up items. You find different ways to d othe things you would normally do.
I went to an occupational therapist for an evaluation on my symptoms, and she said in her findings that I was extremely creative in getting things done. I use my body in different ways now than I did before. You have to rest a lot more, and you tend to drop a lot of things, but life does go on. It is a pain filled life for me, but I am trying to find ways to carry on.
Trix
trixlynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
billy027 (04-09-2008), Jomar (04-09-2008)
Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi everyone,

Yes I have been diagnosed with TOS on both sides. Although worst on left side. I had ultrasound doppler studies that confirm complete occlation ( i think thats how its spelt!) when arms raised to 180 degrees on both sides. I also have a painful elbow on right hand side, with inflammation, my Dr thinks this is from favouring this side. I have been fighting a migraine headache since monday. Found the Lyrica helped a lot. Today it seems to be easing, thank god.

Ozzy
ozzy14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
billy027 (04-10-2008)
Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I first was diagnosed with TOS on the right side and recently had surgery. For months before the surgery I could barely use my right arm so I forced to use my left. A month before surgery I started getting very familiar symptoms. My surgeon and PT said it's not surprising. When you're in pain you tend to sit wrong and compensate in weird ways. Also, you use the better arm more. ALso what I was told was...your anatomy is the same on both sides so "if it happened to the one side, it's pretty safe to say that it might happen to the other side"

Well now I have it on both sides and I don't know what to do. I can't use either arm well. I can't raise eithe rarm above shoulder level. It's very frustrating! You are not alone! I just wish I knew what could be done to stop this progression

Wishing I could think more positive and be well again!
momzpeachy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
billy027 (04-10-2008)