Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 12:31 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default question - can I get help after surgery from WC

I'm having my 1st rib and scalene muscles removed in January and I'm really concerend becasue I don't have help....My husband works 6 days a week, leaves at 8:15 and gets home at 7:00 at night...and I have 3 kids. Thankfully
2 drive and can p/u my daughter form school, but then they leave again for their afternoon sports......Who's going to keep the house up, or laundry? To the best of my knowlege I won't be able to use my arm for a least a month...can I ask for help and what language should I use? I'm starting to worry that I won't heal properly if I don't get someone to help me....

I don't have a family member near by and my friends are overwhelmed with working and their own kids schedules....

Thanks
annhere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-20-2007, 01:22 AM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

get prepared as best you can and start getting the family recruited to pitch in while you are down.

- paper plates, cups, frozen meals, easy meals, canned meals, soups, sandwiches, casseroles, lots of fruits & veggies

If kids are old enough - they do their own laundry, towels, vacuuming, bathrooms, picking up, dishes, etc

ask family what jobs they will want to be in charge of, or make a rotating list of chores

tell them you are depending on them to step up during this time while you are healing because you don't want to risk re injury or complications.

Don't expect perfection and praise all good efforts.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:03 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello; If you are being covered by WC, call your casemanager or better yet get someone to help you write a letter. You should explain your circumstances about your upcoming surgery. The letter should be polite, short and to the point requesting that you have an occupational therapist visit you and to do a home asessment. What do you have to loose,, maybe some extra money a month to pay someone to come in to clean. Good Luck.
hairdresser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:17 AM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annhere View Post
I'm having my 1st rib and scalene muscles removed in January and I'm really concerend becasue I don't have help....My husband works 6 days a week, leaves at 8:15 and gets home at 7:00 at night...and I have 3 kids. Thankfully
2 drive and can p/u my daughter form school, but then they leave again for their afternoon sports......Who's going to keep the house up, or laundry? To the best of my knowlege I won't be able to use my arm for a least a month...can I ask for help and what language should I use? I'm starting to worry that I won't heal properly if I don't get someone to help me....

I don't have a family member near by and my friends are overwhelmed with working and their own kids schedules....

Thanks

I can't give you legal advice for a LOT of reasons...
one of which is that each state and even county can be very different in how they treat work comp rules and processes and customs.

In my area, in order to heal after surgery, your Primary Treating Physician should be told way ahead of time what your concerns are - (this may of course be told to the PTP after you first talk to the surgeon, in order to get an idea of recovery time, etc., if they are not the same doc.)

So you explain to your PTP what you can and can't do, and think of your DAILY ACTIITIES OF LIFE - that is a KEY legal word / phrase - think of what help you'll need getting dressed, food, food into the house, laundry, beds made, vacuuming, etc. For pet care, you will have to hire outside help. For babysitting, at least in my area, that also will cost you for outside help. But for my area, all of the rest, even though some of the clothing / bedding is not yours, all of your laundry, groceries, meal-making, etc. will be covered for the reasonable amount of recovery time.

Recovery time - varies from person to person. Just try to be as calm as possible whenever talking to the doctors.

You are correct to fear scar tissue - after all of this effort, the last thing you want is scar tissue.

Lastly, does you husband have any legal leave time or holiday paid time that he could use at that time for you & the kids? Can any family members take the kids for a day, week, etc.?

For me, the surgery was EASY. Unfortunately, the work comp gal made a huge mistake and would not authorize my pain med at its proper dose - she cut me to less than half. Those 9 days kept getting worse...it wasn't until I got back home, read the reports, that I realized the mistake she had done.

So God bless you.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:09 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

tshadow.....

thanks for the advise..I was told by my prior adjuster if the DR feels I can't do certain things or things will prevent me from heeling properly the insurance company (here in Ca) will provide help....I just need to figure how to properly ask for it....my Dr's nurse is in the process of writing a letter to the Wc adjuster now....I just need to tell her what I need...I probably should do another letter on my own....Thanks Again

Warmest Wishes for the Holiday,
Ann
annhere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:15 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Indeed that is a dilemma... I cant give you any advice on workmans comp but, I like Jo's advice. You mention that two of your children drive, so they are old enough to help out. Maybe make a list of chores that each child will be responsable for while you recover.

Everyone heals differently after this surgery, just dont try to over do it. I think you will know and feel your limitations and will be back up and at it soon.

Best of luck!
mtnmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:50 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Don't forget California now has Paid Family Leave for up to 6 weeks. It's not a full paycheck but if there's any way your husband or another family member can utilize it to help you out, it's up to $882/week. http://www.edd.ca.gov/fleclaimpfl.htm

http://www.edd.ca.gov/direp/de2511i.pdf
My wife would/should be using it now but we're saving it to use after our baby's born(expected in June)

marabunta

Last edited by marabunta; 12-21-2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: add URL
marabunta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote