ALS News & Research For postings of news or research links and articles related to ALS

advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 04:40 PM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Mad Disabled parking fine 'heartless'

Disabled parking fine 'heartless'
02 January 2008 | 22:54

WILL CLARKE
COUNCIL chiefs were branded “heartless” last night after refusing to cancel a parking ticket imposed on a paralysed Suffolk woman's car while her husband was checking them into a hotel.

Ann Knight suffers from motor neurone disease and is totally paralysed, but was given the £30 fine because her disabled parking badge was the wrong way round on the dashboard of her specially converted car.

And to make matters worse officials insisted that the 60-year-old must appeal personally - even though she cannot move or speak - if she wants to fight the fine.

Parking officials in Brighton have now been described as “soulless” by her angry husband Howard Knight who says he had just wheeled Ann into a seafront hotel and was checking in when the warden pounced.

He said: “The original hotel we booked was damaged in a fire so we had to find an alternative at short notice.

“I pulled into a bay outside the Hotel Metropole and I got Ann out of the car and wheeled her inside where we had to wait ten minutes to check in because the reception desk was very busy.

“I was horrified to find when I went out to move our van that a warden had slapped a £30 ticket on the windscreen.

“I think it is absolutely appalling and heartless - the vehicle is obviously modified for a wheelchair user and there was a valid blue badge on the dashboard.”

Mr Knight, who lives in Edwardstone near Sudbury, wrote to Brighton and Hove council's parking services department but was told they had received the ticket because the blue badge was displayed the wrong way.

Mr Knight has decided to pay the council to avoid further penalties.

Council spokeswoman Claire Coper said: “Blue badge holders should be aware of the correct way to display their badges so that the number and expiry date can be clearly read by the parking attendant. In this case the badge was displayed incorrectly and a parking ticket was given.”

Lyn Eley manager of the Ipswich Disability Advice Bureau said they could have helped the couple appeal the ticket but added they would be at the mercy of the council parking bosses.

She said: “This seems extremely harsh given that it was the festive season. The badges must be displayed correctly so they can be read and to punish them like this seems severe.

“In the end this will be the decision for the council.”

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/n...A54%3A36%3A450

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement