Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What a crock!

I've known for almost a year that I needed to find a new neuro-surgeon (that's about the last time I saw him). I was referred to this yahoo by my former neuro who switched from spine to brain. I didn't like him from the get-go, but I thought it was just my having a bad day, not so.. I saw him three times, and he just didn't feel comfortable or laid back. He was cocky, arrogant, eyes as cold as ice; I could go on and on but won't. He is affiliated with the hospital I utilize, but at a separate clinic outside of the hospital. I never went back to him after the third time.

Anyway, after a year of not getting better, no treatment, & getting worse, today I finally worked up the courage to look for another neuro, not at the clinic, but in the hospital, in their neuro-surgery department. I phoned to make an appointment with the one I had chosen only to be told that the intake gal was at lunch and she would phone me back. Call me back she did, only to let me know she had looked up my record and saw that I had seen Dr. B., etc., etc..
She said the neurosurgery policy is I can't switch to a different Doctor in that department (even though the clinics are in different buildings). I told her I didn't like Dr. B. and that is why I wanted to switch. She wouldn't budge and was none to nice about it either. She said I needed to find a different facility. End of conversation.

Well, the thing is, and it might be a small thing to some people, but I am high risk due to my End Stage Renal Failure & significant other health issues. I need to get my lumbar taken care of before I can get on the transplant list.
The reason I want to stay at the SAME facility rather than look for a different one is the fact that they have ALL my medical history right there and I would feel more comfortable knowing I was in a place where they know how my body works and doesn't work. Plus it is top rated in the U.S. and is also a medical college.

I really, truly, want to SCREAM, but unfortunately can't.

My lumbar is getting worse, one foot is numb, the other foot is getting there in spots and the left leg is tingling. I can't sleep on either hip. I can hardly walk, as my legs get very painful, burny, etc., from my lumbar region.
I don't do pain meds, not even aspirin due to my kidney's. So right now, I am up a crick without a paddle.

*Barb

2004- laminectomy/decompression
also, herniated discs, one after the other
DJD
Bone on bone in spine-lumbar area

</IMG>
*Barb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-12-2008, 01:24 AM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I would call or go in person and ask to speak with a person higher up the ladder.
Explain your problems and ask them for help.
Maybe the person you spoke to first was just lazy...
But you can always go up the chain of command -
i can't believe they would turn away a paying customer..
over a Dr change...
Old 01-12-2008, 02:24 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This is common practice, when the doctors are in the same med group. They do it to avoid potential conflicts of interest (and lawsuits!) should a patient later sue for malpractice. If you have one partner mis-diagnosing, and then another later "resolving" the mis-diagnosis, the partnership loses loads o' cash.

As a result, most medical/neuro practices will NOT allow you to switch doctors voluntarily within the practice.

To get my DH his preferred neurosurgeon, we had th change medical groups after an initial consult with a yahoo "neurosurgeon" who was not board qualified. the BQ sr. partners refused to take my husband's case when we did some research and found out the jr. partner was not yet board certified.

So my advice: listen to the office manager, and find another practice. Going to see them in person, or going up the ladder, won't change the result.

Good luck!

Sandi
sandi_k is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo55 View Post
I would call or go in person and ask to speak with a person higher up the ladder.
Explain your problems and ask them for help.
Maybe the person you spoke to first was just lazy...
But you can always go up the chain of command -
i can't believe they would turn away a paying customer..
over a Dr change...
Good morning Jo and thanks for your uplifting response. I love going "up the chain of command", and usually do a good job of it.
I find it hard to believe with them turning a paying customer away also, especially, when I probably put a wing or two on the hospital, lol.
There is always an exception to a policy and hopefully I will find it.

*Barb
Old 01-12-2008, 11:07 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi_k View Post
This is common practice, when the doctors are in the same med group. They do it to avoid potential conflicts of interest (and lawsuits!) should a patient later sue for malpractice. If you have one partner mis-diagnosing, and then another later "resolving" the mis-diagnosis, the partnership loses loads o' cash.

As a result, most medical/neuro practices will NOT allow you to switch doctors voluntarily within the practice.

To get my DH his preferred neurosurgeon, we had th change medical groups after an initial consult with a yahoo "neurosurgeon" who was not board qualified. the BQ sr. partners refused to take my husband's case when we did some research and found out the jr. partner was not yet board certified.

So my advice: listen to the office manager, and find another practice. Going to see them in person, or going up the ladder, won't change the result.

Good luck!

Sandi
Hi Sandi,
I understand about them probably trying to stay away from law suits with misdiagnosing, ect..however, over the past year since I've seen the "yahoo", I know my lower lumbar spine has gotten so much worse and so, logically thinking, yeah, my diagnosis has probably changed and not due to misdiagnosing.
I was referred to this "yahoo", and since I, in a manner of speaking, am the employer, I should be able to choose my own employee. Sometimes it is very hard to find a good, patient, Doctor, relationship. One has to feel comortable with each other.

As far as switching to a different group, I don't want to because of my health issues, which alone, in my humble opinion, is reason enough.
Also, to be quite honest with you I am scared to switch to a different hospital.

I am sure you are right, nothing I do will change their policy.

*Barb
*Barb