Sanctuary for Spiritual Support This "Sanctuary" is a place for people of all spiritual beliefs and faiths to offer support and compassion to each other in the form of prayers, meditation, and expressions of spirituality. This forum is for support, not religious debate.

advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 05:52 PM #1
arthurhlevine

arthurhlevine

Default more on "the spiritual"

>>>> "There is something in all of us that seeks the spiritual…The spiritual is inclusive. It is the deepest sense of belonging and participation. We all participate in the spiritual at all times, whether we know it or not. There’s no place to go to be separated from the spiritual, so perhaps one might say that the spiritual is that realm of human experience which religion attempts to connect is to through dogma and practice. Sometimes it succeeds and sometimes it fails. Religion is a bridge to the spiritual ~ but the spiritual lies beyond religion. Unfortunately. In seeking the spiritual we may become attached to the bridge rather than crossing over it." <<<<

~ Rachel Naomi Remen, M.D.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-13-2008, 10:31 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurhlevine View Post
>>>> "There is something in all of us that seeks the spiritual…The spiritual is inclusive. It is the deepest sense of belonging and participation. We all participate in the spiritual at all times, whether we know it or not. There’s no place to go to be separated from the spiritual, so perhaps one might say that the spiritual is that realm of human experience which religion attempts to connect is to through dogma and practice. Sometimes it succeeds and sometimes it fails. Religion is a bridge to the spiritual ~ but the spiritual lies beyond religion. Unfortunately. In seeking the spiritual we may become attached to the bridge rather than crossing over it." <<<<

~ Rachel Naomi Remen, M.D.
I really like this and I like the author as well. I am wondering if it is from the book "Kitchen Table Wisdom." I know that book really helped me get through some hard times.

For me, it was through the hard times and the realization that religion isn't necessarily sprituality, that I truly became aware that I am a very spiritual person. Anyone that has to dig deep into their own hearts, soul and psyche knows this to be true.

Thank you for this.
Looking4hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I like this, too, and am an avid believer that spirituality and religiosity are two completely seperate things, although they do deal with the same subject. It's like the difference in memorizing the words of a poem or feeling the beauty of a poem as it swells in your own heart. Religion is basically a rigid framework, whereas spirituality is a liquid, flowing, ever-changing thing which reflects one's emotions and devotions at any particular moment. Jesus warned us against repititious words and behavior, because they are an insult to God's character and intelligence. Yet a large part of religion often involves exactly that. I hold nothing at all against those who practice religion as a framework for their spiritual lives, but I do believe that living in the spirit should be the end goal for anyone. I hope I've managed to say this in a way which will not offend anyone or make me sound like a fool, but I did feel compelled to add my two-cents worth here.

Idealist
Idealist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Vowel Lady (01-21-2008)
Old 01-14-2008, 12:14 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealist View Post
I like this, too, and am an avid believer that spirituality and religiosity are two completely seperate things, although they do deal with the same subject. It's like the difference in memorizing the words of a poem or feeling the beauty of a poem as it swells in your own heart. Religion is basically a rigid framework, whereas spirituality is a liquid, flowing, ever-changing thing which reflects one's emotions and devotions at any particular moment. Jesus warned us against repititious words and behavior, because they are an insult to God's character and intelligence. Yet a large part of religion often involves exactly that. I hold nothing at all against those who practice religion as a framework for their spiritual lives, but I do believe that living in the spirit should be the end goal for anyone. I hope I've managed to say this in a way which will not offend anyone or make me sound like a fool, but I did feel compelled to add my two-cents worth here.

Idealist
I think you said that very well.

I love your analogy about poetry. It fits very well.
Looking4hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Idealist (01-14-2008), Vowel Lady (01-21-2008)