Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 12:52 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Cool Smirk Hi all I am new here

Hi, my name is Dee and I am new to this board. I am a 46 year old female. I have osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis and DDD among other things. I have a 2 level fusion in my neck and I also have a 2 level fusion in my lumbar area. I have a question I went to see my pain management and she was checking my reflexes and nothing happened my legs didn't move at all. I just wondered if any one has had a similar experience and what does this mean. Thanks, Dee
deeannek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-18-2008, 10:41 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Arrow Hi deeannek~

Yes, thats the way I am. No movement at all. I have had several fusions in the lumbar & S1. I have also had a Neuro doc and I can't remember how he explained it, but they don't do nothing about it. I don't think you need to be concerned.
Fancylady

She who hides nothing, has nothing to hide~
Fancylady_2006 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
deeannek (01-19-2008)
Old 01-21-2008, 02:45 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dear Dee, I have the same as you with osteoperosis as well and curving spine, a bad right leg and foot. can't feel middle toes, and if I stand sit or walk too long the pain is so great it is beyond a 10. Do you think the doc would listen? Hell no! No fusions and the reflexes in my rt leg are not there as well as my left arm. They all look at me as well, let me see, a hypochondriac. I have a ortho doc who believes in me. She said if she hadn't seen it for herself on the mri she would have said I was making it up. Now when I go in she listens when I tell her things. It is the neuro docs who won't. So I am having some difficulty there. Thats all I know for now. KIM
angels in the midst is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I know finding a doctor who will listen to what you say and investigate your condition seem to be getting harder to find. Plus it seems like if you are not a totally text-book case then you are a hypochondriac or drug seeker. Thank God for my Pain Management doctor. She believes me when I tell her I hurt and is always willing to try new stuff to help me. Sometimes I forget to ask stuff though and that is why I was asking about the reflexes. I forgot to mention its the same in my arms too. It just seems so weird to me.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:21 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You could ask your PM doc to refer you to a neurologist for an EMG/NCV.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:39 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi, you DO want to follow up on it. Sometimes I have had docs who got no "jump" when they hit me, but were satisfied with a twitch I didn't notice. Or, you could have some reduction in reflex, but it could be that your doc has documented it and it is not progressing, in which case you really owe it to yourself to understand what exactly is different than normal, what causes it, what are the range of possible prognoses.
Or, you could have a problem that needs to be fixed. So, since this seems like someone you see regularly, I would ask next time. If you're not seeing her soon, I would ask if I could ask her a question by phone, or set up a short 'follow up' visit. Don't worry, just make sure you understand everything!
Take care,
Jane
1994 broke neck lifting dad - misdiagnosed 4 yrs by HMO as carpal tunnel and malingerer (!) Lamination with titanium 97 - full Central Sensitization by 2000. Now get meninges inflammatory attacks that cause venous occusions leaving me concussed or writhing without enough time to recuperate. Can't wait for Clifford Woolfe's selective painkiller for only nerves in pain. Now on Methadone, bacofen, etc. usual effects
gizmogirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:54 PM #7
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeannek View Post
Hi, my name is Dee and I am new to this board. I am a 46 year old female. I have osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis and DDD among other things. I have a 2 level fusion in my neck and I also have a 2 level fusion in my lumbar area. I have a question I went to see my pain management and she was checking my reflexes and nothing happened my legs didn't move at all. I just wondered if any one has had a similar experience and what does this mean. Thanks, Dee
I just wanted to say welcome...you have come to the best place for help...we some way we have all been there with the pain and this is a good place for all of us to be there for each other...welcome

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:21 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Its nice to have a place to discuss all these issues. I have had a terrible weekend and have a call into the doctor now. The nurse has called me and is supposed to call back this afternoon. The problem is I am so stiff I can barely move. It feels like whiplash almost. I have tried heating pad and warm bath which once I got in I could not get out without help. (embarrassing) At first I thought this was just cold weather but not now. I have no idea what is happening, but I will keep you posted. Dee
Old 01-29-2008, 03:47 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

just want you to know that we are all thinking of you and glad that you got a call in to your doctor. I am going to check back until you feel well enough to post to us and tell us how you are doing.
Hopefully you are demanding relief from any pain you may be experiencing.
Jane
1994 broke neck lifting dad - misdiagnosed 4 yrs by HMO as carpal tunnel and malingerer (!) Lamination with titanium 97 - full Central Sensitization by 2000. Now get meninges inflammatory attacks that cause venous occusions leaving me concussed or writhing without enough time to recuperate. Can't wait for Clifford Woolfe's selective painkiller for only nerves in pain. Now on Methadone, bacofen, etc. usual effects
gizmogirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote