Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 12:47 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default EMG tomorrow-anything effect it

I have my sixth EMG tomorrow. They always showed something wrong. My question would be if I took a darvoset today or sleeping pill tonight is there anyway that would effect the results?
billy027 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-24-2008, 02:44 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

billy,

sorry this is too late to help you with the decision about the sleeping pill - I hope you took it if you needed it! I've always been told to take my meds normally in advance of EMGs, and I'm pretty sure that would extend to the sleeping pill - the darvoset I'm positive about. So take any meds you normally would, or if you take pain med as needed, take one if you need it, ok? In fact, I would recommend taking something for pain beforehand (and maybe something for anxiety), if EMGs cause your pain to flare afterwards like they do me.

Although meds can alter our blood pressure and pulse rate, evidently they do not change nerve conduction velocity - or not enough to matter. I've been through ten EMGs since I was injured in 2003, the latest ones for my left arm and my legs. I had ulnar nerve slowing at the elbow, which the neurologist insits on dxing as cubital tunnel neuropathy, despite all the pain and sx in the shoulder and a dx of TOS (severe) from Dr Togut. And he's a well-respected neurologist - he just hasn't seen enough cases of this to recognize it and feel comfortable dx'ing and decide on a plan of treatment and referral. So he falls back on what he is familiar with, and what the evidence shows, even though it isn't a full explanation for my symptoms.

This is why so MANY TOSers end up with failed carpal and/or cubital tunnel surgeries and still facing a TOS surgery. If the compression is at the brachial plexus, surgery further down to rease the nerve cannot take care of the problem. Once the nerve compression above is relieved, and given time to heal, then you will be able to tell if surgery at the elbow or wrist is even needed - much of the time the problems in those areas resolve once the nerve has been given more freedom of movement above.

Why do they keep repeating the EMGs? Are they all on the same limb? It might be worth it to travel to a University-related hospital and get one done and read by well-trained Dr. and tech staff if the re-dos are because of errors or omissions that have been made - no excuse for more than one redo on their part to my thinking!

best wishes for tomorrow,
beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
billy027 (01-24-2008), fern (02-06-2008), Jomar (01-25-2008)
Old 01-24-2008, 05:41 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

[QUOTE=beth;195105]billy,

I have a good Doctor now who diagnosed tos. The first doctor I had did 3 cts surgeries and only did partial emgs. Before and after each surgery I would say I still had problems and he ordered emgs trying to prove me wrong. Every time something showed up. Unfortunetly, I let this go on for 2 years before I switched to doctor who did full emg and found out about tos, ulnar, radial, median, and cts. This emg is just because its been a year and to see if I worsened(I think it is) plus because its w/c to update for them.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (01-25-2008)
Old 01-30-2008, 07:40 AM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Please keep us posted, as we do care how you progress with your treatment plan and we're here to keep you motivated to keep trying something new or different to help your quality of life.

God bless.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:11 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The emg dr. said carpal tunnel is the same and looks like its permanent. Ulnar and brachial plexus have worsened. Waiting for official results
Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 AM #6
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

So it sounds like the nerve compressions are coming from a high source along the arm, and that there is some repetitive movement (from work I'm assuming) that is permanently damaging your arm(s). Have you sought free consultations from a work comp attorney about how this will affect you in the rest of your like and career and what steps you need to take to protect your future and your family's future?

The attorney needs to be an expert in filing work comp cases - not a dabbler - and also used to handling upper extremity injuries caused by repetitive damage movements. In CA, a couple of years ago law changes, so one must be up on the new law also. This should all be free of charge upfront.

Good luck.

P.S. Just an observation, but why doesn't anyone say "hey, thanks" anymore? The thanks button is a help, but even then, sometimes, people just don't hit it.
"Thanks for this!" says:
billy027 (02-02-2008)
Old 02-02-2008, 09:48 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes, I have an attorney and its already approved for cts and brachial plexus. A descion on whether I pursue disability retirement in the near future has to be made. Also see pain management dr. for injections and take darvoset for flareups. Arm is almost frozen-can't raise aboue my head.

God Bless and thanks for help
"Thanks for this!" says:
tshadow (02-02-2008)
Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Tomorrow I have to go back to vocab rehab counselor. They can never let you be. I'll see what she has to say because I know I have to go. It just gives me such a negative feeling.
"Thanks for this!" says:
tshadow (02-05-2008)
Old 02-05-2008, 06:00 AM #9
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Have courage.

Only answer shortly what they ask you, do not elaborate.

Do be angry, sad, etc. Strangely, lack of emotion seems to work best (for them of course) and they rate it higher than someone who comes in and cries the entire time. (Not that you would.)

Don't worry about a "wrong" answer, just answer truthfully, (again be short, brief), and your attorney can handle everything later on.

BEST OF LUCK BILLY
"Thanks for this!" says:
billy027 (02-05-2008), Jomar (02-05-2008)
Old 02-06-2008, 11:50 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Billy, how did it go with your VR counselor? i might be diff as i never filed WC but i liked going to see the state voc rehab counselor. she would tell me to do research to think about possible careers while i couldn't pursue anything at the time. She cancelled my case, telling me to return when I was more able, and I look forward to the day when I can. My optimism of possible work in the future is some thing that keeps me going.

I'm glad you posted about your EMG. i am headed for an EMG myself w/a neurologist i don't respect. He doesn't know much about TOS. I've had mine for years now and been diax by the best doctors but this guy belittled all of them and their tests saying only an EMG can diax TOS. Anyway, I've only had one EMG before and that was yrs ago to diax my cervical problem prior to neck surgery. I am wondering if there is anything specific I should ask for?? I did learn Dr Annest's protocol for testing. Will an EMG tell the difference between TOS vs other problems like CTS??
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote