Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 02-09-2008, 12:20 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Privacy and Google!

I just finished checking out a few phone numbers and found all of this information to be accurate.

This is valid information............. Google has implemented a new feature which enables you to type a telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and you will be given the person's name and address. If you then hit Map at the end of your address, you will get a map to the person's house. Everyone should be aware of this! It's a nationwide reverse telephone book. If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming. Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried my number and it came up along with the mapquest and directions straight to my house. I did fill out the removal for myself, and encourage all of you to do the same. Quite scary. Please look up your number. In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to : Google http://www.google.com. Type your phone number in the search bar (in this format 555-555-5555) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on your telephone number and then click on the removal form. Removal takes 48-hours. Check you own number and although this may not apply to you if you have unlisted number or cell phone as primary contact, you may know someone who needs to know this. Please share this information with friends and family .
Bearygood (02-09-2008), Curious (02-09-2008), Darlene (02-10-2008), Jomar (02-09-2008), karousel (02-09-2008), sabimax (02-09-2008), soxmom (02-09-2008), tovaxin_lab_rat (02-09-2008)

advertisement
Old 02-09-2008, 12:52 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I removed my parents number for them.

But it only removes it from the Google search - the many other phone number search directories will still have it

Unlisted is a better way to go- but costs about $1 a month.

If you call your phone company they may ?? if you ask?? waive the unlisted fee especially if you are disabled, elderly or have health issues.
Doesn't hurt to ask about a discount or waiving of a fee..

It is pretty simple to search for anyone by name, address, phone number , email address, etc.

I suggest -
- DO NOT give personal or identifying info out online unless you really trust someone
- and DO NOT post it online for all to see

Even when stores ask for your phone number just say it's unlisted even if it isn't - there is no real reason for them to have your number in their system.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (02-09-2008), tovaxin_lab_rat (02-09-2008)
Old 02-09-2008, 01:01 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

putterfit, thanks for posting this. I have been aware of this AND other registries for a long time and have removed myself off of all that I could find. I wish I had a whole list for everyone but I didn't keep it! If I remember or come across anything else I will post.

One of them even had the date and year your were born and the members of your immediate family!

There has GOT to be legislation about this stuff. It's very scary.

Google is one of the worst privacy offenders. Although they do not share the data except for their own demographic purposes, they collect it. I never sign into Google and will never download their desktop bar.

This is really just a piece of the whole "Big Brother" puzzle. There was a special on one of the news cable channels a while ago called "Big Brother, Big Business" that is very interesting but scary. I know it was up on YouTube for a while -- if it still is, it's worth viewing for anyone concerned about where we might be heading in this regard.
Bearygood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:23 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Big Brother, Big Business

I think this is a link to the entire show:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...13358499552766
Bearygood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (02-10-2008), Jodylee (02-09-2008)
Old 02-09-2008, 02:56 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

We just have cell phones, mine didn't come up but I got a page and a half on DH's, but it's a business number and he gives it out online all the time.

DX with Fibromyalgia, 1998
DX with MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity), June 2008
DX with Food Allergies, wheat, sesame, fresh pineapple

momXseven is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:27 PM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

hey another idea...

I am listed in phone book...BUT I dont have my address listed in there

so when I looked up my number..said my initial and last name..then just town and state....so they would have to dig more I guess.....

anyhow...another example of why you have to be open and honest with kids....letting them know there are people out there that can harm kids...and that they can find you on the net..so to never give out name.phone or address...

I never thought hey dont talk to stangers covers things, as someone who comes up saying I lost a cat can you help me..or to a young kid..hey can I take you down the street for ice cream....you would be amazed how many kdis would say yes....
so I have always given examples..to the kids....then asked what they would do....and sure enough when son was young..he said yeahh ice cream...

then I explained if that occurred you would find mom or dad....or another adult....and once found me...we could go for ice cream...or whatever...

be smart/ be safe/ be aware!! hugsss thanks for the info..sarah
sabimax is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote