Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 01:37 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy MRI results

hi everyone, I recently had an MRI and the results are completely foreign to me. I've been doing a lot of research on the net lately to help me understand this.
At L5-S1, there is a mild diffuse disc bulge confined within the epidural fat.
At L4-5 there is a diffuse disc bulge. Additionally there is a small central disc herniation.The disc abnormalities, combined with the degenerative hypertrophy of the ligamenta flava and facet joint creates mild-moderate central spinal stenosis.

I had an epidural last week and so far no relief. I have also been in physical therapy with no relief. I feel like I am on the verge of tears.

Allison
aalliep is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Allison, As far as epidaural it could take up to 3 and rarely 4 times. Mine did not work until the 3rd time and it lasted about 5 or 6 years. 6 months would have been exceptional, so go through the series before counting it out. Also, if you look up minimally invasive spine surgery on google and do some research you will find some interesting information as I just did that. The Laser Spine Institute in Florida, Dr. Jho in Pittsburgh, Pa. (I have an appointment April 2), and other pain treatment centers can provide options and information to seek out in your area.
Also, look up IDET and EDET procedures. Your surgeon will most likely not tell you about these options and it is rare to find a good Pain Management Doctor that is on the cutting edge. I had to find this all out the hard way after my surgeon and other doctors let me down and put their bank account over my health. Don't get me wrong, not all doctors are like that and I have found a few that are great and helpful. Dr. Kang in Pittsburgh, Pa. is highly reguarded in the surgical arena and I have already met with him.

Get other oppinions and seek out options. They are out there and maybe one will be right for you. Also, I got a new TENS/EMS machine called a twin stim and it is fantastic and provides with me with much needed relief and therapy while I am fighting this pain. I know what it is like to feel like you are out their alone, but doing some research and going after it is a good step.

Good Luck
df847455 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sugarboo (02-16-2008)
Old 07-24-2013, 10:23 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default What does all this mean

Hello,
My name is Massimo, I am 44 years of age.
I have had intense pain for almost two years now, just about how long it has taken to get proper diagnostic imaging performed. My G.P states "you have chronic pain and fibromyalgia". If his diagnosis is correct, what does all the findings in my reports mean?
BILATERAL PARTIAL SACRALIZATION AT L5 SEGMENT WITH PSEUDOARTHROSIS AT THE L5 TRANSVERSE PROCESS TO THE ALAE OF THE SACRUM.
C3-4, C4-5 SLIGHT DECREASE IN SIGNAL INTENSITY WITH BROAD BASED BULGING (NO SIGNIFICANT CORD OR ROOT COMPRESSION)
C5-6 SLIGHT DECREASE IN SIGNAL INTENSITY WITH A BROAD BASED DISC, OSTEOPHYTE PROTRUSION MEASURING SEVERAL MM INDENTING THE DURAL SAC
T1-7 MILD FACET HYPERTROPHY
T8-9 3MM RIGHT PARACENTRAL DISC EXTRUSION WHICH MILDLY INDENTS THE RIGHT ANTERIOR ASPECT OF THE SPINAL CORD
T6-7 THROUGH T11-12 THERE ARE MULTI LEVEL MILD-MODERATE DEGENERATIVE DISC CHANGES EXACERBATED BY ENDPLATE SCHMOLS NODES AND END PLATE IRREGULARITY.
T8-T11 FACET HYPERTROPHY
T11-T12 3MM BROAD BASED POSTERIOR CENTRAL HERNIATION WITH EFFACEMENT OF THE VENTRAL THECAL SAC
L2-3 FAR RIGHT LATERAL DISC EXTRUSION TO THE RIGHT SIDE CAUSING MILD DEGREE OF FORAMINAL NARROWING WITH POSSIBLE IMPINGEMENT UPON THE EXITING RIGHT L2 NERVE ROOT
L3-L4 MILD DISC DESICCATION WITH A POSTERIOR BROAD BASED DISC BULGE EXTENDING INTO THE FAR LATERAL REGION BILATERALLY CAUSING A MILD - MODERATE DEGREE OF FORAMINAL STENOSIS. SUSPICION OF IMPINGENMENT OF THE L3 NERVE ROOT. MILD FACET JOINT DEGENERATION.
L4-5 THERE IS A BROAD BASED DISC EXTRUSIONIS NOTED POSTERIORLY NEAR THE MID LINE. THIS ENDENTS THE ANTERIOR THECAL. THERE IS BILATERAL RECESS NARROWING, LEFT GREATER THAN THE RIGHT WITH LIKELY IMPINGEMENT UPON THE DESCENDING LEFT L5 NERVE ROOT. THERE IS MILD FACET JOINT HYPERTROPHY.
L5-S1 THERE IS A CHRONIC APPEARING LOSS OF DISC HEIGHT AND SIGNAL AND ASYMMETRIC LEFT SIDED DISC BULGINGINTO THE NEURAL FORAMIN AND LATERAL
I hope that someone can shed some light for me, I have no idea...
Thanks Massimo
massimo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:08 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalliep View Post
hi everyone, I recently had an MRI and the results are completely foreign to me. I've been doing a lot of research on the net lately to help me understand this.
At L5-S1, there is a mild diffuse disc bulge confined within the epidural fat.
At L4-5 there is a diffuse disc bulge. Additionally there is a small central disc herniation.The disc abnormalities, combined with the degenerative hypertrophy of the ligamenta flava and facet joint creates mild-moderate central spinal stenosis.

I had an epidural last week and so far no relief. I have also been in physical therapy with no relief. I feel like I am on the verge of tears.

Allison
Hi Allison,

I think the good news is that your MRI findings, imaging-wise, are rather mild. I am sorry to hear that the injection did not work so far. Multiple injections may truly be indicated. I assume your ESI was done due to perceived central stenosis for which such injections are less successful than for focal compressive disorder. What is missing hear is exactly where your pain is, what precipitated it, what makes it better/worse, any numbness, tingling or weakness anywhere, exam findings as you understand them, systems review, a whole lot of other stuff, etc...in other words, everything your doc would ask in a history, a detailed synopsis of your chief complaints and clinical findings. They do matter and actually are the basis for ordering an MRI which only confirms a suspected clinical diagnosis based off the above. One really needs to know all of that and more actually, before any sense can be made out of your MRI findings. Some studies show that 25-40% of visualized abnormalities (age dependent) on an MRI are not symptomatic. Your clinician that ordered the study is in the best position to explain it's significance! Good luck!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote