Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 04:41 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dr. Jho procedure

Hi, my name is David and I am 54 suffering with severe chronic cervical pain looking for support and information. I felt very alone until I read some of the stories here that have showed me how prevalent this illness is. I was wondering if anyone has had C3,4,5,6,7 fused and how they are doing.

I have c4 to 6 fused and Dr. Kang of Pittsburgh, Pa. wants to posteriorly fuse c3to4 and c6 to 7. From what I have read he is just an outstanding Dr. and person. He certainly was kind to me and very honest and left me with a lot to think about before I choose my options.

On April 2, 2008 I have an appointment with Dr. Jho for his evaluation so I am waiting to make my procedure choice. I very much like what I read and the minimally invasive thought. Dr. Kang did not think I would be a good candidate for that procedure due to the amount of arthritis I have in my neck, but the Laser Spine Institute thought I was a great candidate so I am a bit confused. My insurance will not cover the LSI in Florida and I am limited to Western Pa.

I have read the comments on Dr. Jho and am very sorry for those that had bad results, but it does happen to all Doctor's from time to time and that is why we are warned about the percentages and possibilites that could occur. I so appreciate all the comments I have read, but I will make my decision based on gathering as much information as possible and yes, a lot of prayer and just plain old "gut" feeling.

If anyone wants to write me or relay their story directly that is fine, but I will be checking more after today. I do not need any disks removed. I need the bone spurs removed, neural canal opened more, and any other clean up necessay if I go the Dr. Jho route if I am understanding things so far. As I have not talked to him yet I can only go by what the Laser Spine Institute told me.

With Dr. Kang it is a full blown surgery with bone taken from my hip. OUCH! I am praying and hoping the minimally invasive technique is for me, but will do what I have to. I have had 18 months of everything one can name to control my pain and it has not worked. I have had to leave my job of 35 years and am not just staying home and working on my house as I can. If this surgery works I can go back to school and be comfortably employed again.

It is amazing how devastating this can be and how insensitive not only peers and friends can be, but many medical professionals are the worst. I have felt alone and hopeless until lately and hope my future will be brighter. I don't have grand thoughts of cervical perfection or no discomfort or mild pain, but I pray for a huge decrease in the pain I now live with as my joy for life and quality of life are very low.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. If I do have to have c3 to c7 fused I just know anyone who has had it done and how my movement will be in my neck.

thanks, david
df847455 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

David,

I have had C3/C4 fused and also C5/C6. I still have great ROM.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
df847455 (02-12-2008)
Old 02-13-2008, 04:07 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default trust in Dr. Jho

Quote:
Originally Posted by df847455 View Post
Hi, my name is David and I am 54 suffering with severe chronic cervical pain looking for support and information. I felt very alone until I read some of the stories here that have showed me how prevalent this illness is. I was wondering if anyone has had C3,4,5,6,7 fused and how they are doing.

I have c4 to 6 fused and Dr. Kang of Pittsburgh, Pa. wants to posteriorly fuse c3to4 and c6 to 7. From what I have read he is just an outstanding Dr. and person. He certainly was kind to me and very honest and left me with a lot to think about before I choose my options.

On April 2, 2008 I have an appointment with Dr. Jho for his evaluation so I am waiting to make my procedure choice. I very much like what I read and the minimally invasive thought. Dr. Kang did not think I would be a good candidate for that procedure due to the amount of arthritis I have in my neck, but the Laser Spine Institute thought I was a great candidate so I am a bit confused. My insurance will not cover the LSI in Florida and I am limited to Western Pa.

I have read the comments on Dr. Jho and am very sorry for those that had bad results, but it does happen to all Doctor's from time to time and that is why we are warned about the percentages and possibilites that could occur. I so appreciate all the comments I have read, but I will make my decision based on gathering as much information as possible and yes, a lot of prayer and just plain old "gut" feeling.

If anyone wants to write me or relay their story directly that is fine, but I will be checking more after today. I do not need any disks removed. I need the bone spurs removed, neural canal opened more, and any other clean up necessay if I go the Dr. Jho route if I am understanding things so far. As I have not talked to him yet I can only go by what the Laser Spine Institute told me.

With Dr. Kang it is a full blown surgery with bone taken from my hip. OUCH! I am praying and hoping the minimally invasive technique is for me, but will do what I have to. I have had 18 months of everything one can name to control my pain and it has not worked. I have had to leave my job of 35 years and am not just staying home and working on my house as I can. If this surgery works I can go back to school and be comfortably employed again.

It is amazing how devastating this can be and how insensitive not only peers and friends can be, but many medical professionals are the worst. I have felt alone and hopeless until lately and hope my future will be brighter. I don't have grand thoughts of cervical perfection or no discomfort or mild pain, but I pray for a huge decrease in the pain I now live with as my joy for life and quality of life are very low.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. If I do have to have c3 to c7 fused I just know anyone who has had it done and how my movement will be in my neck.

thanks, david
David , I have had 2 surgeries with dr jho L4-5 and T2-3, my father has had 7, yes 7 with dr jho. he is the only reason he is walking, and he is the omly reason I have my life back . I am 34 yras old and have 3 children. Thank God for this man, he is the best surgeon you will find.
gman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:49 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dr. Jho

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
David , I have had 2 surgeries with dr jho L4-5 and T2-3, my father has had 7, yes 7 with dr jho. he is the only reason he is walking, and he is the omly reason I have my life back . I am 34 yras old and have 3 children. Thank God for this man, he is the best surgeon you will find.

thank you so much for the encouraging words. I am suprised to find a few other doctors do MInimally Invasive Surgery in PGH. I am going to get check by one more at UPMC (Dr. Spiro) and add all the information up and pray I make a good decision. It is a sad shame more people don't know about these guys and the procedures they can do.
df847455 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello David,

I don't think my condition was as bad as yours. But i am very happy with the work Dr. Jho did for me. I was back to work in 15 days, and I now play basketball again, only two months after surgery. The alternative to Dr. Jho's surgery was much more invasive. Good luck!
Dallaskibby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote