Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default muscle relaxors help?

I am trying not to take many pain pills(Darvoset) afraid of addiction. Is there dangers from darvoset?
I have muscle relaxors too. Since my shoulder cannot raise above my arm. Do you think they could help?
billy027 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hairdresser (02-13-2008)

advertisement
Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Medications /Interaction checkers and related links
http://www.healthsquare.com/drugmain.htm

http://www.drugs.com/

http://gsm.about.com/interact/inter.asp

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...drugSearch.jsp

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interac...,4109,,00.html

But I wouldn't mix or change anything with out talking to your doctor first.
"Thanks for this!" says:
billy027 (02-13-2008), hairdresser (02-13-2008)
Old 02-12-2008, 10:32 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi billy I find for my symptoms muscle relaxers do help. They help to dull the pain and help with sleep. I try to take them when I'm at home and don't have to drive, because along with my muscles relaxing my mind does to, ha. It's important to ask your doctor first, and try them when your home and not alone.
hairdresser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
billy027 (02-13-2008)
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up check with your Dr first

The way it was explained to me is that if you are taking the pain meds ONLY for pain and ONLY when you are in severe pain, you cannot become addicted to them. If you are in constant high pain and constantly taking darvocet for it, then there is a bigger problem than addiction that should be addressed.

I take my muscle relaxers more often that the pain meds and I try to only have them at night. Keeping my muscles loose and relaxed cuts down on the severe flare-ups that have me in bed in level 10 pain taking valium, flexaril and percocets. A dangerous but necessary mix.

In summer months I take far less medication than I do in winter and spring (turbulent weather changes). Do whatever you can to identify what makes you hurt more and do what you can to lessen it. For me it's weather... and percussive movement.

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

When I was first diagnosed I was put on nothing for the TOS. I then had a doctor prescribe skelaxin but that was a total waste of money. They didn't work at all. My pain management doctor said to be careful of these muscle relaxers... some of them are basically just seditives... skelaxin being one of them. With TOS... I think it's hard to find medications that really work. You have to do quite a bit of experimenting to find what works.

Right before my surgery my pain management doctor put me on baclofen and I have to say that did work. I had also tried Zanaflex and that did work as well but I was allergic to it. You have to ask lots of questions and don't let the doctor just say here take this. That happened to me. I do a lot of research before taking medications and ask lots of questions. I also take my husband along now to my appointments and he asks more than I do.

It's a very frustrating process.

Wishing I could think more positive and be well again!
momzpeachy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-13-2008, 07:59 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Great advice. I also have skelaxin. I don't like it because it just makes me tired. If I am having a bad day I will take it at night only. When I wake up though, i am groggy. The only thing that I respond to is Percocet and Pamelor. Becoming addicted to Percocet is a great concern of mine. Around 6 years ago I became dependent on oxycondin and other medications that were prescribed for me. I had become pain free after and in need of no medications. After a recent relapse I am back on meds but only those 2 and under great supervision of my doctor, and husband. He makes sure I only take what is prescribed. It is difficult when you are in costant pain. I could easily take another pill instead of realizing that maybe carrying the wash upstairs is not a good idea. Best of luck and make sure you consult your doctor and make a plan. Pain, basically, sucks. No two ways about it. Linda
LinJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-13-2008, 10:49 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Everybody,s different. I prefer Lyrica or Neurontin to muscle relaxers. For me the best pain reliever is Ultracet; I like it better than Darvocet and it doesn't make me as sleepy as some of the others. I try to avoid muscle relaxers as they almost all make me too tired or give a brain fog effect. What I like to use instead of meds when I can are ice, my TENS unit, heat, breathwork and rest. I try to pay close attention to my body in order to try to avoid the pain before it gets too bad. I'm not worried about addicition but in my case I like to keep my brain as inconvienced as much as possible. I also use Lidoderm pain patches. Everyone's body is different and it's good to work with a good doctor if you can that will help you experiment to find what's best for you. Other than meds I also get a lot of benefit from being in warm water and doing slow motion movements in the water-things like yoga, ai chi, qigong...even doing leg movements only.

What about IcyHot or similar things that are applied to the skin? Has anyone gotten much benefit from any of these?

Last edited by fern; 02-14-2008 at 10:39 AM.
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
astern (02-14-2008), hairdresser (02-14-2008)