Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 08:40 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default New to new forum

Hi, I used to be a member many years ago when it was the old forum. I thought Brain Talk had disappeared for ever so it's really good to see it still going!

I'm Valerie, 50 years of age and live in the Netherlands. I was diagnosed with TOS/T4 Syndrome about 20 years ago and have had my ups and downs with it since. Now it another down time....

I've got nerve impingement to my right arm and have a lot of pins and needles, numbness and pain in that hand. I also have some nerve impingement to my left side but it's not so bad. The cause I was given was possible birth trauma. The only surgeries I've had have been bilateral carpal tunnel open release back in 2003. Since then the numbness and pain improved for several years but gradually the pain etc. is making a comeback.

During the years 2000 - 2006 I went through a period of severe headaches that were eventually diagnosed as Chronic Paroxysmal Hemicrania (a type of cluster headache), occipital neuralgia and migraine. Thankfully after several years of heavy medication the CPH headaches seem to be in remission but I wonder how much the muscle tension etc. from the TOS has had a part in it all? I still have occipital neuralgia and the occasional migraines.

For the last couple of years I've noticed a difference in the height of my collar bone with the right side higher and closer to my throat. I experience some throat pain but last night was scary because I dreamt I was being strangled and I woke with pain and tightness in my throat.

A chiropractor diagnosed me initially after many hospital doctors didn't know what to do other than offer me Valium. He kept my back and neck in check with regular treatments but since moving to Holland from England 10 years ago things have gone downhill. I've finally found an osteopath that's not too bad and is working on me nearly every week at the moment to try and sort out the current setback.

The constant pain in my neck, back, arms and hands is being to wear me down and I don't feel I can share how much it all hurts to those around me. How can anyone who's not experienced this sort of pain really understand?

If you've got to the end of this long post then thank you for staying the course. I didn't intend it to be so long....

It's good the forum is still here!

Valerie
goldenowens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi Valerie,

I was thinking about your high collarbone and the choke/strangle feelings you mention.

It could be that your SCM and/or scalenes are spasmed and pulling on the top rib and clavicle.
http://www.amtamassage.org/journal/f...lenes_pg2.html

our stickys have many more anatomy & trigger point links-
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread84.html

Does your osteo do top rib mobilizations as well as other therapies to release any triggerpoints and relax those muscles?

I had some severe spasms and my chiro did something called NIMMO {combo of deep stretching and triggerpoint release}, IF stimulation, low level laser, top rib adjustments and of course other adjustments as needed since the spasms pulled things out of alignment at times.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:20 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, yes I think you're right and that it's the scalenes in spasm.

Thanks for the links, I'll work my way through them. It reminded me that I bought a book ages ago called 'The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, your self-treatment guide for pain relief' by Clair Davies. I dug it out last night and had a look through it and there are treatments that I could do myself.

My osteo is a bit 'alternative' and likes to do his own thing e.g. before he works on my neck he works on my lower abdomen as he says there's a link between the two, and if he loosens one it will loosen the other. Not sure I go along with that but chiros are bad over here and he's the best option. He does work on my top rib but I don't know if it's triggerpoint therapy. I think what I'll do is take the book along at my next appointment and ask him if I'm doing the exercises correctly - that way he can see the book and what I want, as well as making sure I'm working on the correct sites.
goldenowens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (02-23-2008)
Old 02-27-2008, 02:08 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Valerie......Glad you found us !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
goldenowens (02-29-2008)
Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 AM #5

15 yr Member