Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 07:30 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Topomax Side Effects

Just wondered whether anyone else has experienced tingling in their hands in feet while taking Topomax? I know this is a known side effect however my Neuro said this is not common and if I remember correct he said had something to do with lowering levels of Potassium...does this sound right to anyone? It almost feels like my hands and feet are thawing after being really cold (for lack of a better description) This happened after I got up to a dose of 75mgs (currently up to 100mgs)

As a side note...Topomax (100mg/day) and Gabapentin (1800mg/day) seems to be a great combo for me pain wise (in combo with my pain meds). I had the flu last week and not taking my meds really took a toll on me...I noticed how much I really did need them and how much they did help with the pain...
JAMY is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Jamy,

Yep, it most certainly is a side effect..It can be pretty strong at times..I've been on Topomax for about a year or so...I take 150mg before I go to bed at night, that along with the Ultram has helped me manage my pain....

(If you can manage TOS pain)

Ann
annhere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:43 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't take topomax, but i know that there are several people around here that either take it or have taken it in the past. I'm sure they will tell you the pros and cons.... did you try doing an advanced search on the TOS forum for topomax? i hope you're feeling better....
-dabbo

Currently redefining 8,9,10 ......

dabbo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:50 PM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I uses Topomax for the migrain avoidment and had added help with CT pain,. BUT I have to split the dose, 25 AM and 75 PM, I have 25 mg pills to do this.
I do not take neurontin and had the tingles and restless leg on it.

I did notice that when I went on the LExapro last year for depression problems I had to titer up. A side effect was insomnia and loss of appitite. I broke the table 10 mg in half, then skip a day then worked two weeks of 5 mg 1/2 tablet and then went to 10 mg and then after two months up to 20 mg for maintance dose. I do find too if I break the 10 mg in half I get a whole day taking it two times for the racing thoughts and sadness that hits so fast to tears.

I never gave meds for this much weight, but after thinking I could finally go off, its benefits are there. They reduce the heavy plate feeling of hoplessness and loss that consumed my thoughts to allow me to handle the immediate needs of myself and family.
Does not take the grief all away. Just allows it not to rule my day.
The topomax, I have not been in the ER for a flare since I started it and did have a very successful cervical epidural injection at C5 hump area.

The medication concuction, what a blast to deal with. I do have Valium for spasms, I can take it daily but don't. it is only 10 mg a day genreic.
But back to Topomax, if having a problem as with any med and it seems to help, cut back, adjust and titer up, slowly.
feel better
di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:36 PM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Yes, that is a very common side effect of Topamax, the tingling in your hands. It can also occur around your nose and mouth.

I have been taking 400mg of Topamax for about 4 years now for migraines and there is something you can take to counteract that symptom - Urocit-K. 5 MeQs 3 times a day! It works! Since I also have MS, it was hard to distinguish the MS tingling from the side effects of the Topamax, but when it started around my nose and mouth, I knew it was from the Topamax...after I started the Urocit-K, the tingling went away.

It's a potassium citrate supplement, very inexpensive. Make sure you drink lots of water, too, with the Topamax as another side effect is kidney stones!

Talk to your doc about the Urocit-K. It does work.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote