Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 11:25 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default first RFA procedure

I'm having RFA on my lumbar spine in the afternoon. I'm completely freaking out, but I can't live like this any longer. I would try voo-doo if I thought it would work (no offense to anyone practicing voo-doo

I'm new here so heres some backgroung: At 18 I had a fall in ballet causing terrible sciatica. Then a few car accidents (not my fault...I'm the only one on the road that knows how to drive...) all of this was manageable thanks mostly to therapy and a high pain tolerance.

At 27 I started experiencing more pain & learned that I now had degenerative disc disease. Still manageable.

At 29 I took a cartoon-like fall down the basement steps when my curtains protested being washed and tripped me up. My life has been insane for the last two 1/2 years.

Any suggestions on post procedure therapy? 2 kids, husband & work, just wondering if I'll need extra help for more than a day or so while he's working...
teege is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-18-2008, 12:55 AM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

teege, I hope the RFA works beautifully to help your pain.

You have such a clever knack in writing about your experiences. Hope things go well for you tomorrow and that you return soon to hang out here. Keep us posted, K?

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smirk RFA procedure

I was told that RFA procedure by my pain doctor that is helps but sometimes
it comes back angrier then it was. So good luck
rfei57 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:07 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It can come back angrier than before. Mine did...but not any angrier. But the year's worth of relief was well, well worth it. I would repeat it in a heartbeat. And that's why they do repeat RF's. If it is angry, they can just RF it again. But for now I am concentrating on the coccyx (fractured) and will be getting an injection for that next week.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:41 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Teege, good luck. I guess nobody here could afford another tumble and yet we took one.

Kathi,
What sort of treatment have you gotten on your coccyx? Was that a recent injury? Sorry if you've gone over that before here. Just asking because I whacked mine pretty good and suffered for a few weeks, though took nothing more than ibuprofen. Which might have been dumb because I have some other stuff around, but didn't want to be groggy if I could help it. That was the tumble I shouldn't have taken! If only I'd moved that stupid fallen tree after it bashed in the window of my pickup's cap when it slid backward on the ice a few winters ago. Then I'd have not hit it with the sled in January! And I wouldn't be here ... yet.
neckcase is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:37 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Neckcase,

I have NO CLUE how it was fractured and when. I DO however, have an idea. I think it might have happened when a porch swing just up and busted last summer with 3 of us sitting on it. But it could have been from a long, long time ago when I had my stupid go cart wreck when I was 12 years old. The doc said it was an OLD fracture. Even so, I probably don't recall it because I was on pain meds at the time and even on meds when the swing broke.

I have had one injection to block the ganglion impar that sits behind the coccyx. It worked wonderfully. Since then and because of pelvic floor dysfunction (due to nerve damage from the lumbar issues), I have been in pelvic floor PT. This can get very graphic but basically it is internal work to stop the muscles from spasming and external work (ultrasound actually) on the tailbone. These two together have worked wonderfully. I am even rethinking the shot. Since I now have my GI problems (constipation) resolved the pain is not as great...I barely notice it. But I am keeping my appointment on Tuesday because the lumbar facets are acting up. Anyway, if you are doing okay now, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The one thing ALL my docs are saying is to NEVER have it removed; can set me up for even worse problems. So, injections it is and PT and a few exercises the PT gal showed me which also helps. This is probably going to be a chronic condition...have been told that as well. But without being graphic, they are teaching me or showing me how to treat it on my own. Oops, should have added that this all interrelates and is amazing when you get it all figured out. But it took me almost a year; running back and forth between my spinal PM, Neurologist and Urogyn. But eventually, it was all sorted out.

Last edited by Kathi49; 03-21-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Added More
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:16 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Kathi,

Yes, it is curious to think of how all these various hard knocks can mix together into a strange brew. Also best maybe not to think too much about it! If it's not messing with you, that is, but if it is, I guess there's no way around it. Mine has cooled down to basically normal ... but I think it jangled some stuff that is still sorting itself out. Hopefully, in some not-too-funky way. Sounds like yours is getting a little better maybe. Good luck with that.
neckcase is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote