Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 12:39 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Trig Grapes of Wrath-do you know any homeless?

http://www.infowars.com/?p=841

one in four doesnt have car insurance and many lost homes because of mortgages

are these people illegal aliens mainly?

YouTube
March 16, 2008

In California, it is the Grapes of Wrath all over again, minus the migration. Somebody please send this link to Rush Limbaugh and the neocons, who seem to think all of the homeless are drunks and drug addicts.

i dont think i know of any homeless

i know of some that were homeless and got apartments sometime in last 7 years

i know people who run up credit cards and still seem to have money for silly things

i think the world is crazy
there was one woman on here talking about her condo problems -i wonder if she is now homeless

advertisement
Old 03-19-2008, 01:54 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

We have tons of homeless people here:

1) They had employment, but they lost it all
because Companies relocated, went bankrupt,
or worse - moved out of State

2) More and More businesses are tightening the
belts and lay-offs have been massive - jobs have
been scarce in my area for quite a long time. (We
have 'upscaled hobos here')

3) Divorces are at an all-time high because no
one can support the other; you have CEO's now
working at McDonald's, Attorney Secretaries
working as cashiers, and seriously now - people
with high degrees are working at low-end jobs
and cannot afford anything.

4) It takes 3 jobs just to survive here because
of the high utility rates that are ever-increasing
(and I haven't even mentioned the fuel cost,
food, and other expenses yet)!

5) Insurances has gotten OUT OF CONTROL!

6) People have fled this State - even abandoning
homes; and to heck with foreclosures! Until that
Federal Law came to being that they wished they
hadn't done what they did, because, it would have
only been on their credit report for 10 years and
then dissolve, not anymore, due to the new law.

7) Before - you couldn't be so picky about what
kind of home you wanted (used), and Builders
were building new homes like crazy, tearing up
precious valuable land where wildlife had no place
to go until the Settlers, Pioneers (I'm a Pioneer
Native), and long time Transplant put a vote in
to STOP THIS LAND HOGGING! For we are the
smallest County in the entire State of Florida but
yet the most densely populated ... Not anymore,
Builders have ceased or abandoned their projects,
homes are up for sale - but "WHAT GOOD IS IT?"
There's no jobs anywhere ... my son and his friends
have been looking for employment since they were
15-16 years old (my son is the 7th generation of
this County, he's also a Pioneer Native). The
Northerners floods down here and takes it all away
from the natives and long time transplants - leaving
them with no place to go. And many are homeless.
Sure - they've got University/College Education, but
it seems that everyone wants someone from "Up
North" or someone with some education from "Up
North".

8 ) My own personal friends - have closed their
businesses after 15-20-30+ years in this County,
shutting it down or going "Out of Business", all
because of "Northerners" who've flooded and ran
the local Southern laid back business right out the
door. They are, but memories of the past and in
historical museum(s). How are the Northerners
doing? Not too good. That's what is causing all
the people to loose their employment - by going
out of business, lay offs, cut-back in hours, even
severed pay cuts ... where they once had but only
ONE JOB - now have to have 2 or 3 jobs just to
sustain themselves.

" Vujà Dé - The feeling you've
never been in here before!"

Daily Feedbag of Zonegran, Clonazepam, and Folic Acid
southie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:07 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

cubans also moved in

congress wont look for oil or gas or build nuclear power so can we blame democrat congress? or is it the war?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:37 PM #4
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Personally, I blame Wal*Mart for all of it.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (03-19-2008), Chemar (03-19-2008), froglady (03-31-2008), greta (03-20-2008), Jodylee (03-29-2008), KarenMarie (03-26-2008), Lasgo (03-27-2008), SandyC (03-26-2008), southie (03-19-2008), sugarboo (03-27-2008), tovaxin_lab_rat (03-26-2008), Victorya (03-27-2008)
Old 03-26-2008, 02:52 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouds z View Post
http://www.infowars.com/?p=841

one in four doesnt have car insurance and many lost homes because of mortgages

are these people illegal aliens mainly?

YouTube
March 16, 2008

In California, it is the Grapes of Wrath all over again, minus the migration. Somebody please send this link to Rush Limbaugh and the neocons, who seem to think all of the homeless are drunks and drug addicts.

i dont think i know of any homeless

i know of some that were homeless and got apartments sometime in last 7 years

i know people who run up credit cards and still seem to have money for silly things

i think the world is crazy
there was one woman on here talking about her condo problems -i wonder if she is now homeless
While I don't patronize or agree with the neocons, I do think most homeless are people who have problems which helped to exaggerbate their situations. Drugs, Alcolholl and Mental Illness are a few of thos problems.

People who took out mortgages for little or no down payment and variable interest rates were misguided or misinformed.

The bankers and lenders (not the government) should be held to task for their irresponsible actions.

Still, it is the buyers responsibility to know the details of their loan and to be realistic about what they can afford.

The best way to own a home is to save up for a down payment until you have a substantial amount and can build equity.

As to being homeless, there are many programs to help the homeless. Many will not participate.

Sadly a lot of the mentally ill simply cannot help themselves and families may have given up on them.

Tootsie
KarenMarie (03-26-2008)
Old 03-26-2008, 04:00 PM #6
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member
Heart

I was sitting on a guard rail late one night waiting for my husband to call a cab for us to get home after we locked the keys in the car.

A homeless man carrying a paper bag/bottle approached and sat next to me. I watched people pass us by. They looked at him with disgust and made a wide path around him - I guess to avoid getting "cooties." Every single person did that to him.

After a while, he turned to me and said "It's not easy." He told me about how he lost his wife and kids when his home burned to the ground. Alcohol relieves his pain. There is no training program to bring back his beloved wife and kids or give him back his home.

Doesn't society encourage alcohol? I even see scientific research touting the health benefits of drinking alcohol. It is advertised as a way to socialize, relax and get away from it all.

Does anyone find it appropriate to blame this man for his condition in life? Can any of you guarantee it won't happen to you?

Even with drugs. It is highly encouraged - i.e., if you're sad, anxious, or just having a bad day - take a pill to make it all go away. If you're running too fast, take a pill to make you slow down. If you're running too slow, take a pill to make you go faster.

Declaring one legal and another illegal doesn't take away from the danger of abuse.
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sugarboo (03-27-2008)
Old 03-26-2008, 04:07 PM #7
n/a

15 yr Member
n/a

15 yr Member

And just think - the only thing we've managed to make unacceptable is cigarettes - let's see what kills more people - driving under the influence of either alcohol or drugs or smoking - I would guess hands down it would not be cigarettes - the only thing to check off on a death certificate is - did smoking lead to this death - not alcohol - not drugs - just cigarettes - makes no sense to me -
KarenMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:06 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
I was sitting on a guard rail late one night waiting for my husband to call a cab for us to get home after we locked the keys in the car.

A homeless man carrying a paper bag/bottle approached and sat next to me. I watched people pass us by. They looked at him with disgust and made a wide path around him - I guess to avoid getting "cooties." Every single person did that to him.

After a while, he turned to me and said "It's not easy." He told me about how he lost his wife and kids when his home burned to the ground. Alcohol relieves his pain. There is no training program to bring back his beloved wife and kids or give him back his home.

Doesn't society encourage alcohol? I even see scientific research touting the health benefits of drinking alcohol. It is advertised as a way to socialize, relax and get away from it all.

Does anyone find it appropriate to blame this man for his condition in life? Can any of you guarantee it won't happen to you?

Even with drugs. It is highly encouraged - i.e., if you're sad, anxious, or just having a bad day - take a pill to make it all go away. If you're running too fast, take a pill to make you slow down. If you're running too slow, take a pill to make you go faster.

Declaring one legal and another illegal doesn't take away from the danger of abuse.
Alcohol relieves his pain???? I think it makes it worse and what would you want to bet that it had a lot to do with his losing his wife and kids.

What about words like 'self control', logic, alternatives.....

As to the social aspects of drinking alcohol. Yes, I think it is made to look way to good.

I also think that some of this happens at home. Parents tolerate the abuse of alcohol among their teens. They send them on these dumb 'reward' vacations to places which encourage abandonment of common sense (like the Aruba situation).

Wonder when graduating or doing well on an exam became a reason to have a reward? Isn't the good grade a reward in itself???

Look at the Duke case as well. Though I don't absolve the dancer or the lawyer from their part in this, I do think...'gee, if they hadn't had this type of party to begin with (and hired a dancer) then maybe none of this would have happened.

For years, advertisers have mad alcohol and cigarettes look sexy! What a waste of space.

Diane
Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 AM #9
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I occasionally cook meals for our local homeless shelter through our church. The first time, DH and I also helped served the meal. It was heartbreaking to see the many faces, a few were people I recognized.

I made a nice dessert to go along with the main dish, and they weren't very interested in that, because most were so hungry they wanted to fill up on the healthy meat and veggies.

It's located near the university and they usually get about 40 per night, but I know they must be just barely touching the surface of all the homeless and/or hungry folks in our area.

Some good things to donate to a shelter are diapers and new pillows. I prefer to cook a meal and try to make something special for them.

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (03-27-2008), kinch52 (03-30-2008), Kitty (03-27-2008)
Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 AM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I used to tutor the homeless - are children guilty because of their parent's path? Single parent, no job or not very good jobs, so many expenses, drugs and alcohol often used to "self-medicate" pain (emotional and physical.) Mental illness, lack of support. We may all know someone with MS and other contributing factors who are homeless or very close to the edge.

If I did not have DH's paycheck, how the heck would I live on my SSDI!!!!!!!! It's sometimes hard to land in a safety net when falling, not too many effective nets out there anyway. Behaviors learned, Goes on and on and on. I have no answers, just tears. I think "there but for the grace of God, go I". It's not hard to fall over the edge. Extreme Make-over only saves 1 family a week, and don't forget short new season and re-runs. But at least they make a difference in one family's lives.

At the food kitchen next to where I tutored the homeless, the ex-homeless worker came out to make sure my kids got an apple from a contribution. He made us cry and we honored his gesture by accepting it, though my kids neither liked or needed apples. At 7 they knew to say just thanks. They do have respect for others.
kicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (03-27-2008), kinch52 (03-30-2008), Kitty (03-27-2008), sugarboo (03-27-2008), Twinkletoes (03-30-2008), Victorya (03-27-2008)