Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 09:12 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Positive outcomes

Just curious, is there anyone that you know of that has had a favorable outcome to the TOS nightmare and were able to return to their former work with out further problems? I've been racking my brains out trying to think of some sort of work I can do but so far can't think of anything I can do. My family talks as though this is just a temporary condition and that once I see the right doctor I'll be magically cured and can go back to my old line of work....they see me as being too negative when I say that I need to think of something different to do because I just don't see how I can go back to sitting at a computer all day.
KLS2007 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-26-2008, 01:20 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I know of a few that used to post and went back to work or some sort of work after surgery or a length of time where they did not work...

I'm sure there are many more that never even sought out any TOS forums and continue to do some sort of work.

It's just that they don't post on forums for the most part.

It seems that the ones that got stuck with the worse case scenarios are the ones most likely to post and seek help and friendship on forums.

How long has it been for you? symptoms and such?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:33 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have a friend who had bi-lateral rib resections. After 6 months he went on a graduated return to work program. He is an aircraft mechanic. That is not a light duty job. He says he has days where the pain is worse, and some days he has to watch his positioning, but he can do his job. My DH works with him. They all say he is no different in his work habits or sick days since his surgery.
trixlynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo55 View Post
I know of a few that used to post and went back to work or some sort of work after surgery or a length of time where they did not work...

I'm sure there are many more that never even sought out any TOS forums and continue to do some sort of work.

It's just that they don't post on forums for the most part.

It seems that the ones that got stuck with the worse case scenarios are the ones most likely to post and seek help and friendship on forums.

How long has it been for you? symptoms and such?
That's kind of what I thought and haven't been able to find much as far as statistics, at least not that provided much detail.

I've been off work since early October and don't officially have a diagnosis and the WC doctor basically claims that nothing is wrong with me as none of the tests so far show anything wrong. Basically the only treatment I've had so far is some haphazard PT, I saw 5 different therapists and most of it just made me worse. My condition was caused by a poorly setup work station doing computer work...picture having to reach out on the desktop for the keyboard while holding the phone between your head & shoulder & looking at a monitor that is nearly 2 arm lengths away for 8 hours a day. My current symptoms are pain over the collarbone, my hand is constantly swollen, any elevation of my hand results in temperature and color changes, numbness & tingling in my hand, my entire arm aches, a weird stretched feeling in the side of my neck, dizziness when I move my head when the pain is at it's worst, frequent hiccups, feeling like my head is too heavy for my neck, feeling like my arm just doesn't fit right, stabbing pains over the entire shoulder area and in the armpit....I'm sure I left something out but that's the ones that I feel at this particular moment.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (03-27-2008)
Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

One doctor I saw who had treated about 1000 TOS cases said that overall (including conservative and surgrical treatment cases I think) said about 25% become pain free after treatment and with doing ongoing selfcare/exercise. I am not sure how many return to work, he did not give that number.

I do know a few people with TOS who returned to work, usually with voice recognition software or doing a less typing intensive work. People who returned to work with a typing intensive job tended to be young and have mostly central hypersentivity symptoms and less of the nerve scarring symptoms if that makes any sense.
lisa_tos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:18 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree with Jo, most of the people who are here, and in other forums, are experiencing the worst case scenario with TOS and are searching for any type solution to their pain.

I have venous TOS, which caused blood clots, and had rib resection surgery last May. I am happy to report that I was able to return to work (and its a pretty physical job) in a limited capacity within two weeks of surgery and was able to resume all tasks within 6 weeks after surgery. 4 months after surgery I was able to return to all most of my sports, and the only hold up on that was that I was on blood thinners.

I still have some complications from TOS and probably always will. However, besides some arm and hand swelling, some discomfort and numbness every now and then and occasionally a shooting pain in the shoulder/chest area for no apparent reason (the typical TOS stuff!), I really have no problem living the life I want to live. Overall I would call MY situation a success. Although venous TOS is a huge kick in the butt when it happens (scary life threatening blood clots, days upon days in the hospital, surgery...) I think most people with it recover almost fully over time.
mtnmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:42 AM #7
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS2007 View Post
My current symptoms are pain over the collarbone, my hand is constantly swollen, any elevation of my hand results in temperature and color changes, numbness & tingling in my hand, my entire arm aches, a weird stretched feeling in the side of my neck, dizziness when I move my head when the pain is at it's worst, frequent hiccups, feeling like my head is too heavy for my neck, feeling like my arm just doesn't fit right, stabbing pains over the entire shoulder area and in the armpit....I'm sure I left something out but that's the ones that I feel at this particular moment.

Have you had any xrays and /or MRI of neck/c spine to double check for any extra c ribs or other structures?

many of your symptoms are very much like what I had.{bolded}
It took from 03 til 05 before I really began to feel comfortable again - I did use 4 different PT places & expert chiropractor. I'm still seeing DC monthly by choice as my left top rib sometimes goes out a bit and he checks the rest and does soft tissue work on upper back or wherever it is needed at the time.
only the first PT place was not very good- a beginner trying to dx & strengthen me too soon. the other changes were do to the wc denial & one I went to on my own. He was very helpful.

Are you seeing a dr of your choice also, or only the wc dr?

But as long a you don't have specific vascular compressions or extra c ribs, I really think time, a focus on bodywork & posture awareness, maybe a DO or DC to check for misalignments {muscles in spasm can pull things out & a multi talented one will help with those spasms too}, did I say time LOL...

In the useful sticky is links on all this stuff and one of the posts has video links for posture, simple relaxing, stretching, foam roll uses triggerpoint, massage - or you can google those topics for new videos.
They really show the techniques well so you know what to look for when checking out PT or DCs. And many home/self care things to do to.

PS- If you have trigger points - you cannot fully relax the muscle until the TrPs are released/removed - so if you read up on those {in post#1 useful stickys} TrPs can refer pain/symptoms to odd areas so getting rid of those can really make a difference.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:50 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've had cervical xrays and a CT scan, neither showed any anatomical problems. Right now I'm not seeing a doctor at all, I had been seeing the WC doctor only up until last month. I don't have insurance so at this point I'm without medical care as he said this is as good as it gets. I'm sure muscle spasms are contributing to the problem but other than trying to relax there's not much I can do at this point. We tried foam rolls at PT and that was a big mistake, it really flared things up. Right now I'm at my wits end with the whole situation!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:17 PM #9
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

So you can't see any dr of you choice? Only a wc dr??

What about Sharon Butlers thing with just laying out on the floor or bed?
Her book is in most libraries.
It really did help me when I was hurting the worst.
Do you have a close friend that would read up on massage/triggerpoints and try some gentle stuff??
Old 03-28-2008, 03:25 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Right, in TN you can't see a doctor of your choice, you get a list from your employer and must choose one of them. Their doctors are all at clinics that treat nothing but work injuries and their primary goal is to get you back to work ASAP and not for the patients' best interests. He has released me to go back to work full duty with no restrictions so my attorney intends to request a second opinion but wants to wait until I get paid the TTD checks they owe me. He doesn't want to stir things up anymore until I have the check in hand as I've been without any sort of income since December and my financial situation is getting pretty serious.
I'll have to look and see if our library has anything by Sharon Butler, thanks for the info! I do lie in the floor quite a bit and have a massage mat....I'm not sure if it's actually helping any as I can't see any difference but then maybe I'd be in worse shape if I wasn't doing it...it's definitely worth continuing at this point.